To ask how often you give your baby paracetamol?

(82 Posts)
Bumpandkind Wed 22-Jan-14 21:53:46

I've got a teething 7 month old and usually give chamomilla granules. However I give calpol when it seems worse but this feels like a slippery slope as it works so well! A friend of mine is constantly 'calpoling' her baby with no ill effects and another would only consider giving it if hers had a fever.

I'm curious about what other MNs do.

ikeaismylocal Thu 23-Jan-14 13:45:39

On average probably once every 2 weeks, sometimes I give it for teething, a couple of times ds has had a fever lasting 2-3 days, then I have given it throughout the day.

There was a recent Swedish study that showed paracetamol use in pregnancy and young children can damage their brain. It was a mouse study so not necessarily correct.

bumbleymummy Thu 23-Jan-14 17:00:19

Just in case anyone is worrying about febrile convulsions. Convulsions are caused by a quick rise in temperature - not necessarily a high temperature. They usually come completely out of the blue - they've had one before you realise they're ill. The NICE guidelines do not advise giving it to try to prevent convulsions or simply to bring a fever down - only if the child is in discomfort.

Iirc there was a study that showed giving paracetamol during CP led to an increase in the time taken for the spots to crust over.

Ir's probably done by age rather than weight because most people don't know their child's weight once they're out of the baby stage. I only know that DS (5 years) weighs 20kg because he jumped on the scales the other day when we were weighing suitcases. We don't have bathroom scales and even if we did I don't think it's something I'd know offhand - it's not something you want to make a child do when they're feeling ill. It's more realistic (and hence more likely to be used safely) to do it by age.

It's not THAT easy to overdose on paracetamol. Certainly, slightly going over the stated dose is not a cause for concern. Plus I reckon the age doses are probably erring on the side of caution.

This is third hand, but when DS was about 1 one of the other people from my NCT group had an incident where she found her DS with a bottle of calpol and wasn't sure whether he'd managed to drink any or not. She phoned NHS Direct and they told her not to worry as apparently children don't process paracetamol in the same way and they don't overdose on it as easily. Plus, the bottles are small enough to only contain a small number of doses. (This was in the context of the child not actually having any calpol visible in or around his mouth or being able to smell it and no symptoms either, so I don't know whether the information was more based on this.)

CrohnicallyFarting Thu 23-Jan-14 21:34:35

The doses on the bottle err on the side of caution- hence why I was told to give dd just over double the age-related dose when she was ill (dose by age, 4 months =2.5ml. Dose by weight was 5.5ml. According to the bottle, dose is 5ml up until age 2)

CromeYellow Thu 23-Jan-14 21:53:41

Only when in pain with teething, I think they build up a tolerance to it, I used to notice that when dd really needed it, first time it would work quickly but if I had to keep giving it to her for a few days it seemed to become less effective.

Onefewernow Thu 23-Jan-14 23:10:33

Smuggler, I think your approach is sensible- ie to use it to lower temperature but never as a sleep aid.

Paracetamol has its uses but it is a drug. I am not kidding, actually. Happily my kids weren't raised on it.

Fantail Fri 24-Jan-14 04:44:21

DD was a terrible teether and felt the pain of he tooth coming though acutely. She had Paracetamol and Ibuprofen for stretches of 4 nights at times, sometimes twice a night.

I did worry and checked with our GP who reassured me it was OK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now