To ask how often you give your baby paracetamol?

(82 Posts)
Bumpandkind Wed 22-Jan-14 21:53:46

I've got a teething 7 month old and usually give chamomilla granules. However I give calpol when it seems worse but this feels like a slippery slope as it works so well! A friend of mine is constantly 'calpoling' her baby with no ill effects and another would only consider giving it if hers had a fever.

I'm curious about what other MNs do.

Mim78 Wed 22-Jan-14 22:36:03

I know it's better to give several doses (every 4 hours) over a short period when baby is ill or in pain and then stop when all is well than to give one dose a day on a regular basis.

Just give when needed and follow what it says on the packet and you'll be fine. Don't want to leave them in pain. The danger comes if you start making it a daily thing to help them sleep or whatever I have heqrd.

curlew Wed 22-Jan-14 22:37:55

I only gave it for pain. Or if a fever was making them feel miserable. Never for just a fever, or for unspecified unsettledness.

LowLevelWhinging Wed 22-Jan-14 22:41:30

"Paracetamol is a dangerous drug. You can overdose on it very easily, and many adults do, without going far over the recommended dose.

I can't imagine why anyone would risk it on their kids other than very occasionally."

are you fucking kidding me?

paracetamol is dangerous at massive doses, but not at normal, clinically approved levels FFS.

TheFabulousIdiot Wed 22-Jan-14 22:43:56

A few times a year.

minipie Wed 22-Jan-14 22:44:37

Not given calpol much, but given nurofen loads as it's the only thing which will help dd sleep when she's teething.

which I think proves she would be in pain without it. I'd rather give her the nurofen (always within the approved dosage) than have her in pain and up all night

minipie Wed 22-Jan-14 22:46:07

I can't see why it would help them sleep if they are not in pain. it's a painkiller with no drowsy effect. so if it helps them sleep, surely it must have been pain keeping them awake?

notso Wed 22-Jan-14 22:47:10

Why do people think it aids sleep?
I give it if I think they need it. Every single time I have been to the doctors with a child with an illness involving a fever I have been told to give paracetamol and ibuprofen.

Bumpandkind Wed 22-Jan-14 22:48:52

minpie That's my my rationale too. It makes sense and validates my choice to use it.

LowLevelWhinging Wed 22-Jan-14 22:49:07

yy, it aids sleep if pain is preventing sleep.

paracetamol or ibuprofen are not sedatives in correct dosages.

smuggler Wed 22-Jan-14 22:53:52

I only use it to reduce temperatures. Pain is generally soothed by cuddles/co-sleeping/breastfeeding. I feel that if it's saved for when really need (I.e. When they need to lower their high temperature) then it'll work more quickly and effectively. I apply the same logic to myself and only take paracetamol if nothing else works to stop my pain first. I always thought you develop resistance to it if you use it too often which reduces how effective it is?

arethereanyleftatall Wed 22-Jan-14 22:59:50

Hardly ever. My 3 yr old has never had any pain relief yet - tried a few times but got spat out. 5 yr old once or twice a year. I prefer them to build strong immune systems. I find it quite scary that some people seem to permanently have calpol lying around for frequent use - that surely can't be doing the child any good?

bumbleymummy Wed 22-Jan-14 23:01:08

Very rarely. You don't need to give it to lower temperature unless the fever is causing distress- otherwise if they seem to be in pain. They've only needed it a couple of times in their lives - they're 4 and 7 now.

mousmous Wed 22-Jan-14 23:01:21

only when dc are in obvious pain. and/or to help them sleep when they have a cold as I feel they get better more quickly with a decent night's sleep.
for dc1 'growing pains' we try a hot water bottle and massage first. works about half the time, if not medicine follows.

minipie Wed 22-Jan-14 23:08:41

Not giving pain relief does not improve your DC's immune system!

Mim78 Wed 22-Jan-14 23:11:55

Can I just add general wonderment why calpol etc given doses by age and not by weight? Can't help but feel lots of people are therefore inadvertently giving wrong dose - slightly overdosing a small child or leaving larger child in pain?

For some reason this concerns me more about piriton because the doses go up so sharply...

MrsBungle Wed 22-Jan-14 23:13:10

Why would giving paracetamol affect their immune system?

Pobblewhohasnotoes Wed 22-Jan-14 23:16:43

Of course it wouldn't!

We give paracetamol by weight in hospital, well majority of drugs really. I work out all of DS's medicines by his weight but I'm confident in doing so. I guess maybe not everyone would calculate it correctly.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Wed 22-Jan-14 23:18:38

And who has calpol 'lying around'? It's always sensible to have a bottle in the cupboard just incase.

sconequeen Wed 22-Jan-14 23:59:04

I don't give it to my unless I think it's absolutely necessary. Firstly, because I don't take medicines myself unless I really need them and secondly because there was a study which associated babies getting paracetamol with an increased risk of asthma. http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/09September/Pages/Link-between-calpol-and-asthma-not-proven.aspx Of course, the increased risk may be because the babies getting more paracetamol were the ones who were going to go on and develop asthma in any case (ie rather than the paracetamol causing it) but better safe than sorry IMO.

My first bottle of Calpol for DD1 lasted two years then was thrown out with about half still left. I was a bit taken aback to discover other mums (including GPs) who were getting through a bottle of the stuff every month or so.

BookroomRed Thu 23-Jan-14 00:02:44

I work out dosage by my toddler's weight, too.

ChrisTheSheep Thu 23-Jan-14 00:06:48

I tended to try to avoid giving it during the day when DS was teething, as I could try to distract him from the pain in other ways. I used to give it before bed if he had had a bad day with the teeth in the hope that it would help him sleep. Some weeks he did end up being dosed before bed on several nights running, but I think it was better that he had a chance at a good night's sleep than that he would be waking constantly in pain. (It did wear off sometime around the middle of the night on some occasions...)

Waltonswatcher1 Thu 23-Jan-14 00:32:37

Research suggests a fever is necessary in fighting ailments , if you treat the fever it takes longer to get fight the problem. Sounds logical to me anyway. Sorry if that's repetitious .
I try to only use it when absolutely necessary and even then wait an hour and question my motives. A friend calls it 'happy juice' , that makes me laugh as its true !

traininthedistance Thu 23-Jan-14 00:43:42

Only very occasionally, mainly for bringing down a temperature (was advised to use it when DD spiked a high temp twice after vaccinations); tried it once for apparent teething pain but didn't seem to have much effect, plus DD is a resolute spitter-out of Calpol :/ Was advised again by 111, OOH and my own GP to use it alternately with ibuprofen to reduce DD's temp recently when she had a virus with a fever over 39/40 degrees that lasted for about 5 days. She was horribly ill with that and still wouldn't take the calpol, even when in desperation we got the sugary kind! Ended up having to tip her backwards and pretty much force it down while she cried but I was so worried if her temp spiked further she could risk a febrile convulsion. (I don't give it for a mild temp, say below 38-9 degrees. And I don't fancy my chances of getting it down when she's in better form - she's got quite a nasty bite and pinch on her these days!)

sleepywombat Thu 23-Jan-14 03:33:50

I am immune to paracetamol, having had too much as a child (older child though, I was of the half an aspirin generation).

I probably gave ds2 far too much, in desperation, because I didn't know what was wrong with him for the first 6 months of life & he shrieked 24/7. I later found out he had massive allergies & that the other ingreds in the syrup were probably harming him more.

Now I rarely give it (easier now ds2 not in pain), only if dcs have a very high temperature, and then I do 1/4 - 1/2 tablet crushed up in food or syringe with water to avoid all the additives etc.

CrohnicallyFarting Thu 23-Jan-14 06:59:31

I give it to DD whenever she seems to be in a lot of pain, the poor thing has really suffered recently though with teething (back teeth) and she's had one cough and cold after another. I try not to give calpol in the day, a walk in the pushchair will often settle her when nothing else will, but night is a different matter. She's a poor sleeper anyway, so any sort of pain will have her waking up repeatedly.

I had a pharmacist trot out the 'it won't help her sleep' line, to which I replied 'I know, but at least she's not awake because she's crying in pain!'.

Like the other night- she had woken 3 times by the time DH came home from work (12am). He said something along the lines of 'for god's sake, give her some calpol!', I did and she slept through till morning. I think she just had some niggly tooth pain that was stopping her from going into a deep sleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now