To think refering to your friends as aunty/uncle X is a bit strange?

(102 Posts)
GimmeDaBoobehz Wed 22-Jan-14 19:39:14

I have several friends with young children under the age of 10.

For some reason they all refer to me as 'aunty S' to their children.

I don't mind being referred to as this at all but just thought it a bit weird/strange as they also have biological aunties/uncles so why wouldn't they just call me S?

Am I the only one who finds it a bit bizarre and if you do this, is there any particular reason?

Lighthearted thread, just genuinely curious.

MyBaby1day Fri 24-Jan-14 04:19:47

Ha ha, you'de think I was strange then, long story but I am an only child until last summer when my Mum (unofficially) adopted a young man. He's now supposed to be my Big Bro.....but I call him Dad!! grin. It's all part of my gimmick! cute too

CiderBomb Thu 23-Jan-14 13:31:33

All of my mum and dad's friends were called "auntie and uncle" when I was little. Obviously I don't say it now, but it was something my friends used to do as well.

I don't find it odd.

itsnotthateasy Thu 23-Jan-14 13:26:30

My children call my best friend Auntie as she is as close to a real Auntie they will ever get as I do not have a Sister.

They do not call my other friends Auntie or Uncle though and when I was a Child I only called my Mums best friend Auntie and to this day when talking of her I say "Aunt *".

cory Thu 23-Jan-14 10:02:05

I never felt it was false growing up: I think I just understood that the word "auntie" had a wider semantic field so could cover several meanings. It could mean either "sister of parent" or "term of respect for older female", depending on context.

(Just like I used the word "field" just now to refer to something that wasn't half an acre of grass and soil- that didn't feel false either)

To me, it's whether it's an accepted usage in whatever culture I happen to find myself. So I don't use it now to my dc because it is not the norm around here. But felt my own parents were perfectly justified to use it because it was normal usage in that time and place.

PonceyPeas Thu 23-Jan-14 09:17:30

This is a really enlightening thread! I always thought it was weird to call non-relatives 'auntie' and 'uncle'. One of my good friends always tells her sons to call me 'Auntie Pea' - I've always hated it and on purpose have always signed birthday/christmas cards tk the kids as from 'Pea and DH' so she would try to get the message. However I now have a different point of view having read this thread. Although I still think I only want my own relatives calling me Auntie...

pollyputthekettleonagain Thu 23-Jan-14 09:16:28

my DD has an honorary auntie and cousins, becuase she has been closer than my own family members. i have three sisters, one of which my dd has never even met!

But i know what you mean, at the local nursery they call all the assistants there aunty and it makes me feel a bit weird. but hey-ho they can call them whatever they like its no business of mine

LinghamStyle Thu 23-Jan-14 09:14:59

It was very commonplace when I was growing up (Scotland). I lived in the north of England when my DC were born and they called my close friends Auntie/Uncle. I have no siblings and neither does Ex.

When I moved back to Scotland, my cousins and friends DC called me Auntie first name. I didn't dislike it but it felt weird at first!

LaundryLegoLunch Thu 23-Jan-14 08:59:46

I don't do this at all. My kids refer to my and dh's siblings and spouses only as Auntie/Uncle. All other adults are just their names.

As a child (and I am über-Northern wink) we called all adults aunty/uncle and I found it confusing and odd. My mum still expects me to call her friends Aunty Pat or whatever and I'm 38!

EeyoreIsh Thu 23-Jan-14 08:04:39

That last sentence came out wrong. The blood tie is important, but isn't essential for someone to behave/feel like an aunty/uncle/grandparent.

EeyoreIsh Thu 23-Jan-14 08:03:26

A friend calls me and DH 'aunty' and 'uncle' when talking about us to her daughter. I love it, makes me feel part of a close and trusted group.

I grew up calling someone 'granny' who wasn't biologically my granny, but in every possible other way she was.

To me the blood tie isn't really that important.

1974rach Thu 23-Jan-14 07:57:35

I am a biological auntie to the worlds most gorgeous baby (biased much?) and auntie rach to a number of other children who are either children of close family or lifelong friends.

My mum is auntie x to just about all my cousins friends, but it is a term of endearment really.

I don't mind if DN refers to me in the future as auntie rach or just rach. I think the choice is hers - the relationship will not be affected by what she chooses to call me.

Stinkyminkymoo Thu 23-Jan-14 07:55:28

I do this with dd (17 mo) even though we never did it as kids (my mother's foreign and thinks it's weird!).

I suppose I do it because these friends are closer to me than others, they are special to me and I guess that it shows it. Weird though really!

jamdonut Thu 23-Jan-14 07:55:19

oops *now - not know blush

OHforDUCKScake Thu 23-Jan-14 07:54:38

I hate it. My sons have 4 genuine uncles and no aunts.

Yet their father insists on them calling his best mate Uncle X.

It annoys me. Ive never said anything but it feels weird. Hes not an uncle hes a family friend and a pretty shit one at that.

jamdonut Thu 23-Jan-14 07:54:04

My Real Auntie once wrote in my birthday card" Now you are 10 you can drop the Auntie and Uncle"

My mum went ballistic!

I found I couldn't do it, and even know (Im 50 this year) I find it hard to just use her first name!!!

My parent's friends were always auntie this and uncle that.

princessalbert Thu 23-Jan-14 07:52:38

I think it's a polite way to address an adult.

fwiw I still call my (real) aunties and uncles - aunty x and uncle y - and I am 46!

DrNick Thu 23-Jan-14 07:44:44

( ours northern based too)

DrNick Thu 23-Jan-14 07:44:31

its a bit like.. is it Sikhs? they have some term that is a sign of respect.. cant remember what

DrNick Thu 23-Jan-14 07:44:09

we do.
tis just what we always did.

Groovee Thu 23-Jan-14 07:43:25

My children call their godparents auntie and uncle. I do think of their godparents children as my niece and nephew as we are so close.

Bumpsadaisie Thu 23-Jan-14 07:40:56

I find this weird too. My DDs best friend calls me aunty bumps. My dd doesn't call her mum aunty sue.

TheRealAmandaClarke Thu 23-Jan-14 07:40:51

maybe because a relationship is being forced onto you
Yes ninja I think that's why I disliked it as a child.

TheRealAmandaClarke Thu 23-Jan-14 07:39:27

I was expected to prefix names with auntie/ uncle as a child.
I can remember disliking it. It felt false. Not sure why I was so prickly about it tbh.
I don't do this with my friends. "aunty" and "uncle" are specific to my DC's aunties and uncles.

Lots of the Indian and African women I know, have their dcs refer to me as "auntie". I be.ieve it's the "done thing" for a grown up to be so called by a child. It seems different IYSWIM.

TamerB Thu 23-Jan-14 07:29:35

It isn't lovely if the adult hates it! I would just keep telling your children that I am Tamer, not Aunty Tamer and not Mrs B until it became second nature and the parents had to drop it.

I'm Welsh and it was very normal growing up - used as a mark of affectionate respect for adults around us. I think it's lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now