To tell ds reception teacher he is NOT doing reading books at home.

(142 Posts)
Altinkum Wed 22-Jan-14 18:35:41

Ds2 is 4 years and 5 months he is the youngest in his year and is also developmentally behind in speech and ability (education) since sept he has only read 23 school books, he is supposed to read 3 a week we are averaging about 1 book per week if that.

He is really struggling reading at home but apparently is doing excellent in school hmm

He can sound the book out but he simply cannot blend the words toghther to make the word.

Yesterday we had 20 mins of tears and tampering - because he just couldn't blend the words, he just dosent understand blending them toghther even simple words like in, is, it etc... He knows mum and dad, because he has memorised those words.

Yesterday I a note in his parent comment book saying the above -

All I got was - "keep practising with sound out and blending words, so today we have and again sounding out is fine, blending is NOT. We have had tears to the point he has made himself sick, (we stopped 10 mins into the book but was still upset 20 mins later and was sick) I don't want to make him do this, and have him crying every night.

He is fab at math, and his writing is coming on, he can count to 100 no problem, lows the comets alphabet, draws no problem and knows all his shapes and colours... It is just reading he is struggling with massively.

AIBU to say I/him needs to take a break from his reading books (we read to him every night and he tells us what's going on in the picture by pointing and verbally telling us etc... I honesty think if we continue to do this he will loathe reading, he's also thrown his reading book across the table in huge frustration.

I just needs break and I think he does too.

paperlantern Sat 25-Jan-14 22:25:07

meh he's 4!

Dd hated reading at home, so we didn't. Reading just clicked mid way through year 1 by year 2 she tested one of the top in her year. Reading at home is still like pulling teethgrin

(dons flame proof suit)

whispers.... you could always try look and say books. They were recommended by ed psych for ds with sn because he has difficulty processing phonetic information. DS has gone from not reading to reading in literally a couple of weeks thanks to Peter and Jane. it wont be long until he is reading most of the words on the reception level lists. the confidence it has given him is tremendous.

CrohnicallyFarting Sat 25-Jan-14 22:31:32

Paper lantern- the book OP says she was given has no words in at all. Still trying to work out how she could have copied some of the words out of it for her DS...

brettgirl2 Sat 25-Jan-14 22:35:03

Maybe she's read so many wordless stories she is having hallucinations (as they are truly truly awful). We only had about 3 but one was about rabbits shagging. Just read with him as you see fit op with books that you choose.

paperlantern Sat 25-Jan-14 22:40:05

meh... advice still stands

keep trying but only when you feel it's right.... There are other approaches that might work.

ImagineJL Sat 25-Jan-14 22:45:53

DS1 is the youngest in his class, born end of August. I deferred his school start until the January of reception as he was so young. So reading was a total mystery to him when he started. I'd get these books and he was meant to read them, when in fact the only letter he knew was the first letter of his name. It was a joke. I'd just show him the books and read them to him. (I always stared to him loads anyway).

At some point in year 1 it just clicked. Now in year 4 he is top of the class for reading. He has a real aptitude for literacy, he just wasn't ready for it when he was 4.

starlight1234 Sat 25-Jan-14 22:51:54

just for reassurance my DS started year 1 on red ( the lowest level) and before the end of the year was getting books from year 2 as they only had a few his level in the classroom...

We have always read and I do think the love of books is the most important thing...My DS didn't like his word cards he was sent home to learn so we made a game of pairs with them...It worked a treat now he is a real bookworm...

curlew Sat 25-Jan-14 22:55:26

Just read to him. Don't ask him to read at all. If you need to write anything in his book, write "We read together- he liked <> bit of the story"

Don't put any pressure on your poor DS. As others have said, in most of the rest of the world they don't start children with reading until they're 6.

Do as much as you and your DS are happy and comfortable with - there's nothing the school can do about it. Keep reading to him, maybe pointing out some easy words and letting him "help" you read them. Do word matching/spotting games with his school books etc (there have been loads of ideas for word-based games/activities on this thread), he'll get there in his own time.

My DD1 was slow to "click" with reading - she just didn't get blending etc for ages (also a late summer baby). But one day (in Y1) it all just fell into place, now she's in the top group for reading and blasts her way through several books a week with no prompting from us.

nailslikeknives Sat 25-Jan-14 22:58:22

I'm another recommending the alphablocks on cbeebies. We have the DVDs. The programmes match the 'letters and sounds' phonics your son/teacher will be using at school.
They have a big focus on blending, my son is learning to blend just from repeatedly watching these programmes.

Maybe an episode of this after reading a book together would give your ds something to look forward to after the hard work?

Altinkum Sat 25-Jan-14 23:00:06

Sorry I should have said, the teacher asked us to get him to spot any writing in the books so he can sound it out, because it didn't have any, we made our own from the pictures in the book.

How do I post pics on here from my iPhone? I took a photo of his reading books where it shows exactly this.
He's currently been given bob bug.

Altinkum Sat 25-Jan-14 23:04:43

So far he has read...

Getting up
The haircut
Look out
The library
The swing ball
At school
The street fair
The lost teddy
Fetch!
The big box
The hedgehog
Who is it
Get on
Get dad
Is it
Floppy did this
Is it again (he really struggled with this book)
Floppy floppy
Fun at the beach
A sad trick
Top cat
SAMs pat
Dig dig dig
The haircut
Bob bug

Thisisaghostlyeuphemism Sat 25-Jan-14 23:08:33

Blimey, you're good!

I don't know what dd has read but there's no way I'd bother making a 4yr old bother with something so boring/ upsetting.

The idea is to cultivate a love of books, so I'd just read to him all his favourites for a while.

CrohnicallyFarting Sat 25-Jan-14 23:10:41

Bob bug is a different stage I think (1+/purple) whereas the hedgehog is 1/grey. I'd ask for just stage 1 books with no words or just the family members' names (hint: the names always appear in the same order as in the pictures) and just concentrate on enjoying the story with him, no picking out writing or doing flash cards or anything.

And at another time do sound games to help his awareness, but without the stress he associates with 'reading' at the moment.

Charley50 Sat 25-Jan-14 23:19:12

He might not really be ready to read when he is only 4. My son was just given one reading book per week until about year 2. When he was ready he suddenly started sounding out then he could read. If your son turns out to be dyslexic it may be more difficult but you are right that if it's distressing it will put him off. My advice would be 1 book per week max with him., but reading to him a good picture book (e.g. Not a boring story based on phonics) to instill a love of reading in him. It doesn't matter if you are the one doing the reading.

Charley50 Sat 25-Jan-14 23:29:03

Sorry what I meant was 1 book from school per week and a nice picture / story book every night at bedtime. Listening to you read proper story books eg. Snail and the whale, Charlie and Lola, etc create the love of reading.

SayMyNameSayIt Sat 25-Jan-14 23:42:02

Quick reply as it's late and I've had a lot of wine
I'm tired.

Have a look at this website
www.oxfordowl.co.uk
(Might be oxfordowl.org, can't remember. But it's easy to find)

Sorry I don't know how to link.
It's a website from the Oxford University, has great advice and tips on it. Plus loads of ebooks which read aloud to you. It's brilliant. I've used it a lot in class with reluctant readers as well as very competent ones.

Will try n post more tomorrow when I'm not so relaxed
Tired.

delilahlilah Sun 26-Jan-14 08:30:55

I haven't had a chance to read the whole thread, just first and last for a minute. I just wanted to say that I also recommend the ladybird Peter and Jane books. I had the same as you with Ds1, bought Peter and Jane and never looked back. Hope this helps

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now