Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that eating out in chain restaurants like pizza Express without some kind of voucher/discount is madness

(72 Posts)
Whistleblower0 Wed 22-Jan-14 15:08:22

Went to PE at the weekend. We had some Tesco vouchers about to expire.
We, (me dh and dd) had two courses each, a salad, and some bread to share, two large glasses of wine, a diet coke, and hot chocolate, and two coffees.
Te bill came to £74 something.
It was very nice, and we all got our pizza fix, and the atmosphere was lovely. We had just been to see a film beforehand, so all and all a really pleasant relaxed evening.
However, i would never have paid £70 odd in hard cash had we not have the vouchers!!
We had £50 worth of tesco vouchers, so handed over £20 in cash for the balance as well as leaving a tip.
There was a couple next to us who were using some sort of voucher, and the family behind us were also paying with tesco deals.
Who pays full price in chain restaurants any more?

Purplepoodle Wed 22-Jan-14 19:56:50

We have little money so only time we can justify eating out is using tesco points to pay in pizza express. OH has a coke, me and the kids have water so all it costs us is dh's coke.

If we are really splurging for a special occasion at home we get dominos but only with 50% off otherwise its way to pricey plus we discovered that Chicago town frozen takeaway pizzas you cook at home are just as nice.

KenAdams Wed 22-Jan-14 20:12:26

Restaurant vouchers for anyone asking.

Whistleblower0 Wed 22-Jan-14 20:19:44

Agree about the costs of drinks. The mark up is very high in PE prezzo ect, but i guess that's how they make their money, if most people are eating on some kind of voucher smile

We have been going to a fantastic little bistro style restaurant for about seven years We go once a month, and we can take our own wine for a small corkage charge.

Also our local indian reaurant is on the gourmet card which i have,- and we get 25% off the total bill., ditto our local gastro pub.
I think vouchers and discounts are here to stay.

SoulJacker Wed 22-Jan-14 20:26:08

Pizza express does half decent gluten free stuff so it's an easy option for us in a strange place. I do check for vouchers normally but will still eat there without. Don't drink though so generally pay around £20 for 2 which i think is ok.

Whistleblower0 Wed 22-Jan-14 20:27:21

purplepoodle i think chicago town pizzas are surprisingly good for a supermarket frozen pizza. They are usually on offer as well.

TOADfan Wed 22-Jan-14 20:52:25

I have a hi-life card which is 2 for 1 in quite a few local restaurants and PE and also a card via the social club in work is 2 for 1 in PE, money off McDonald's etc.

I eat out about once a week and I pay full price maybe 2 times a year!

MrsOakenshield Wed 22-Jan-14 20:58:37

just done a very quick Google search for PE vouchers - 40% of PE after all day Mon-Thurs and after 5pm Sun. So, no use to me, then. This is pretty standard, ime.

EduCated Wed 22-Jan-14 21:27:21

On Voucher Cloud, PE currently have a weekend only offer of 3 courses for £13.75.

50% off mains at Zizzi's, 33% off food a la Cafe Rouge, 30% off mains at Ask.

Whistleblower0 Wed 22-Jan-14 21:36:41

The pe weekend 3 courses for £13.95 is a really good deal. Zizis do a similar one for a £1 more i think.

EduCated Wed 22-Jan-14 21:41:26

Handmade Burger very often do a Buy One Burger Get. One for £1, which is good.

lookdeepintotheparka Wed 22-Jan-14 21:44:03

But who else is just BORED having to shop around for vouchers for every bloody thing these days!! I just want restaurants/shops etc to charge reasonable prices without having to find and print out sodding vouchers every time so I'm not paying silly prices!!

yonisareforever Wed 22-Jan-14 21:44:46

PE is extortionate, has anyone made their own pizzas, so lovely and so much nicer and so easy to make, they are so cheap to make, pennies and they charge soooo much for thin bread and a miniscule topping.....

I also would never use my tesco vouchers on PE. total waste.

GinOnTwoWheels Wed 22-Jan-14 21:49:19

Hear hear parka

This thread has made me download the voucher cloud app and I'm going to find out what a hi-life card is, but which set of marketing twats decided that what we all want is to pretend that the correct price for a pizza is about 15 quid and then if we can find the right secret code on the internet and interpret the validity rules, we can have it for a bit less than that but only if we spend most of the money saved on hugely overpriced drinks to go with it hmm.

LittleBabyPigsus Wed 22-Jan-14 22:11:09

Agree that Prezzo is much nicer - love their pasta al forno and pizza bianca. I really like PE salads but they are so overpriced. I never buy drinks in pizza places though, I just get a jug of tap water with lemon and then a coffee with a mini dessert afterwards.

I don't shop at Tesco but do sometimes get a PE 3 courses for £12 deal, they advertise them on the website (I don't have a smart phone).

LittleBabyPigsus Wed 22-Jan-14 22:12:47

While we're on the subject of overpriced restaurants - I actually find Nandos really expensive. Aside from them not including VAT in their prices (hmm) I find their drinks very overpriced. Also their salads are shit, although admittedly I doubt many people go to Nandos for a salad. Not as nice as it used to be IMO.

MrsOakenshield Wed 22-Jan-14 23:40:50

actually, maybe it's because I'm in London that PE doesn't seem overpriced to me? Are it's prices the same wherever you are?

LittleBabyPigsus Thu 23-Jan-14 00:38:58

Mrs they're roughly the same IME although I haven't been to one Oop North.

Snowdown Thu 23-Jan-14 06:36:32

Prices of chains, supermarkets etc are different depending on location. I'm not too keen on PE, thankfully neither are the dcs, it feels like a massive crèche and we are so over that whole stage.
Lunch time deals in good independent restaurants are very usual - a great way to taste top end food at a reasonable price. I use vouchers for everything now, I resent paying full price for clothing like Boden etc because I know they inflate the price to discount.

Crowler Thu 23-Jan-14 10:30:26

Crowler shock, paying full price at P.E is the food equivalent of buying a full price sofa from DFS shock

I'm totally ashamed. I've turned over a new leaf thanks to the money forum here... I started a budget! I will never.again. eat at PE full price.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Thu 23-Jan-14 11:07:59

Good for you, Crowler thanks Well done!

Crowler Thu 23-Jan-14 11:29:31

thank you property :-)

glasgowsteven Thu 23-Jan-14 12:04:38

http://handmadeburger.co.uk/thankyou1offer/

handmade burger voucher

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now