To be annoyed that someone is selling clothes that I gifted to them

(191 Posts)
lollipoppi Wed 22-Jan-14 10:32:18

So my DPs cousin had a baby

I mentioned that have tons of clothes from DD that she is welcome to have if she likes which she accepted

When I went round to give her the clothes there were 4 bin bags full. I said for her to go through them in her own time and whatever she doesn't want to just give me back as a few of my friends are also pregnant at the mo and they could be passed on

Anyway il get to the point that she has been selling ALL these clothes on a local selling site in bundles, even clothes that wouldn't even for her DD just yet!

Oh along with her DS1 birthday present that we bought him less than 2 weeks ago!

lollipoppi Mon 27-Jan-14 08:45:59

I won't be having any further contact with her, she hasn't been in contact at all which is fine by me.
SIL and DP are beyond fuming with her.
I feel kind of bad that it's caused a bit of a rift within the family but that's on her head not mine

ColdTeaAgain Mon 27-Jan-14 00:33:30

Totally understand you not wanting the confrontation OP, especially as not your side of the family.

Glad that your SIL has called her up on it. Appalling behaviour, abusing someones kindness like that. And to think she's sold things that your friends would of had instead.

Well I suspect she won't be getting anymore hand me downs after this! Hope your SIL tells everyone, she deserves to be shamed. If she was desperate for cash it would be different but she obviously just sees £££ everywhere she looks!

sykadelic15 Sun 26-Jan-14 23:59:25

Oooo partial win! I'd expect the rest back as well. She needs to contact the people and tell them she's since found out they were stolen and has been told to get them back (but can't go into details) and refund them all their money.

She'll have their contact info still!

Oooo the nerve!

CSIJanner Sun 26-Jan-14 23:12:33

Let me guess - not even a bin bag full?

The cheeky mare could have at least sent a cheque....

ScrabbleBabble Sun 26-Jan-14 23:07:16

So she still had some for said .when she said they were all gone? The nerve!!

hackneybird Sun 26-Jan-14 23:04:11

Good for your SIL.

What a cow.

MrsKoala Sun 26-Jan-14 22:56:43

i can't believe the balls on some people. She could have given you back what she had and said she'd kept the rest - still a lie, but at least not continuing to try to make money out of you. And she could have said she'd thought you gave them not leant them to her so were hers to sell. But she chose to continue the lie so she could make more money at your expense. What a thieving liar. I don't think i could ever be civil to her again OP.

I doubt she's sorry, just sorry she got caught. She probably bitching about it too. People like this are like a different species. I just cannot comprehend it.

ChasedByBees Sun 26-Jan-14 22:42:24

So she hadn't sold them all yet but still chose not to give them back? She's a thief.

expatinscotland Sun 26-Jan-14 22:34:43

BRAVO! Cheeky, grabby bitch!

lollipoppi Sun 26-Jan-14 22:22:12

Yes SIL has had words!
I've not heard a word from her but have received some clothes back through SIL

Sharaluck Sun 26-Jan-14 22:16:21

I don't understand why you don't just say that you want th clothes back that are obviously still for sale confused why is that seen as confrontational?

Go around to her place, take sil and get the clothes back.

HamletsSister Sun 26-Jan-14 21:49:05

Has your SiL had a word yet?

SlimJiminy Fri 24-Jan-14 11:52:50

Unbelievable. I'd comment on the ads and then send her a text asking for them back. She might be able to play the "I didn't realise you'd asked for them back" card, but if she's still selling things that she's told you have been given away, that's not a simple misunderstanding - she's just outright lying. Lots of people hate conflict, but at least with texts and the internet you have a screen to hide behind. I hope your SIL wipes the floor with her.

SpottyDottie Thu 23-Jan-14 21:25:43

I really hope your SIL sorts this out as it cannot continue!

yonisareforever Thu 23-Jan-14 21:24:41

who likes confrontation?

as an adult confronting people is part of the package, anyway, glad your sil is going to say something and be outraged for you grin

Rhubarbgarden Thu 23-Jan-14 21:02:56

I hope your SIL makes her squirm.

expatinscotland Thu 23-Jan-14 20:25:43

Get the SIL to confront her then, or your DP.

Bitofkipper Thu 23-Jan-14 20:14:44

Happened to me years ago. I found out because the person I gave the clothes to mentioned in passing afterwards that she'd got a lot of money for them as they were so nice.
I couldn't bring myself to say anything but the friendship fizzled out.
I have my own set of values and I wouldn't have wanted hers.

drivingmisslazy Thu 23-Jan-14 20:08:40

outrageous.

Can not believe someone would do that.

sykadelic15 Thu 23-Jan-14 20:06:04

I agree with getting a friend (who isn't in your friends list) to buy them all up.

I would also contact her back and say: "I'll be around on x date, which should give you enough time to retrieve my property from your friends and family. Thanks for understanding!"

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 23-Jan-14 19:57:31

I hope her sister in law rips her head off!

I would be upset as well op.

lollipoppi Thu 23-Jan-14 19:53:49

Your right, I know you are, but I hate confrontation, I'm a quiet kind of person, and quite anxious, Even the thought of confronting her sends me into a panic which is exactly why she knows she can do this sort of thing

However, DP told his sister about it today when she came round, she is outraged and totally not the kind of person to keep her mouth shut!!

It's a bit of a cop out on my part, but I know it will get back to her through their family

I'm not even angry about it, just upset.

yonisareforever Thu 23-Jan-14 19:44:36

why when someone acts like this do people let them get away with it, why not make her feel even a tiny bit un comfortable?

people act like shit then the person offended bends over backwards to make sure they dont feel bad!

yonisareforever Thu 23-Jan-14 19:43:52

Yes please don't let her do this, say, I saw you have been selling them and I thought you might come clean when I asked you about the clothes.

Can I please have any back you have not sold, my other friends are struggling and could do with some freebies.

lljkk Thu 23-Jan-14 19:39:06

Trying to decide what it would be like if OP pretended to be someone else, made arrangements to buy the items and turned up to buy them from the cousin...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now