Posting here for traffic. Travelling from Israel into Jericho...any advice?

(100 Posts)
minouminou Tue 21-Jan-14 18:43:50

Visiting Israel next week, with DS, who's seven. Both on UK passports, and we're hoping to fit in a day trip to Jericho, which is in the Palestinian Territories. I know we'll be alright as Brits and tourists, but I'm wondering if anyone's had any hassle getting out of Ben Gurion airport on the way home...do you get a stamp in your passport upon entering Palestine? Etc etc...

Thanks a lot!

Chippingnortonset123 Tue 21-Jan-14 21:06:50

I know, bears! I have just returned and I am still walking on air.

minouminou Tue 21-Jan-14 21:11:09

Must admit, I'm really stoked to be going.
Totally non-religious....but the history!!!!!
Amazing. A real melting pot of people and trade, as well as science and education.... Very excited indeed!!

HollaAtMeBaby Tue 21-Jan-14 21:11:30

YABU. If you want "traffic", why don't you post in a travel forum?

This one is good biscuit

HollaAtMeBaby Tue 21-Jan-14 21:11:55
minouminou Tue 21-Jan-14 21:12:21

I'm not sure what you mean, Holla.

Chippingnortonset123 Tue 21-Jan-14 21:12:56

Just read the travel advice. I visited refugee camps and I took Dcs to show them the horrific conditions. The Palestinians want the world to know about conditions in the camps.

Chippingnortonset123 Tue 21-Jan-14 21:16:38

They don't have enough food and hardly any employment. Only one in ten has a permit to enter Jerusalem. Sick Palestinians are turned away at the checkpoints when they need medical treatment. Quite apart from anything else, the Palestinians are suffering from appalling mental health due to the oppressive occupation.

Chippingnortonset123 Tue 21-Jan-14 21:28:31

No checkpoint going into the occupied territories. Checkpoint on the wAy back in but no stamp on passport, although passport will need to be shown.

tertle Tue 21-Jan-14 21:40:10

You'll be fine. I visited Israel in July last year and we went to Bethlehem for the day. Our passports were checked on leaving but they weren't stamped.
Have a great time! It's a fascinating place.

bolshieoldcow Tue 21-Jan-14 21:43:23

Acco/Acre is also interesting - and not across the green line. Old crusader town with quite a mixed population. You'll have a great time wherever you go, Israel's a fab country despite its problems. And the food…mmmmmmmm

Jealous now.

My DB lived in Palestine and we recently visited him out there flying in to the airport at Tel Aviv. I won't lie, it was intense!
Be prepared for a lot of questioning at the borders.

My DB advised us not to mention our intentions to visit any if the Palestinian territories when going through passport control as it will only encourage more questioning, and even possible rejection of entry to the country.

Going through the check points at more touristy areas such as Bethlehem isn't as bad.

You will also have a thorough questioning, luggage check at the airport on your flight home too!!

Amazing amazing place though!

Latara Tue 21-Jan-14 21:47:29

Wow a place called Jericho actually exists! I didn't know that!

PS. I'd love to visit Israel and Jordan too.

minouminou Tue 21-Jan-14 21:47:41

Fab advice, ladies! And I'm so glad you told me that, IfAt, because I was going to ask about going to Jericho while at the airport!

Oh, no passport stamp entering or leaving Palestine.
Getting in to Palestine is a doddle, getting back in to Israel much much tougher!

minouminou Tue 21-Jan-14 21:49:08

There's a Jericho just down the road from us (Oxford) and it's blowing DS' little mind to think he's going to a 10,000 year old one!

Shakshuka Tue 21-Jan-14 21:49:08

You won't have any problems going to Jericho, it's very quiet there. Even Bethlehem should be OK. I'd be careful about Ramallah, Nablus and especially Hebron which can be very tense. I'd also agree however that there's not much to do or see in Jericho (although there's a fantastic hike to a monastery nearby called Wadi Qelt).

You shouldn't get any stamps passing into the Palestinian Authority. I never heard of that. They don't have border control as such. It's more of a checkpoint but with British passports you should be fine (Israeli citizens are restricted entering Palestinian Authority and Palestinians are restricted entering Israel).

You may be questioned a bit about your visit to the PA and definitely tell the truth about where you've been (if you lie and they find out they'll assume the worst!). If you're going only for touristic purposes you really should be fine. The biggest concern is that someone could have slipped something into your luggage (a bit patronisingly assuming that you're so innocent and gullible that you'd go along with it).

We go to Israel almost every year and lived in Jerusalem for many years. Also have a 7 year old so happy to give you tips of where to go and what we've enjoyed.

No idea about Jericho but we walked across the Israeli border from Egypt with ease. Getting back into Egypt about 6 hours later with an Israeli passport stamp however, was a nightmare!

I don't think many countries like an Israeli stamp in your passport, we were advised by travel agent to get new passports. Especially as we holiday in Middle East quite often.

If you can and are willing to put up with the check points, please please visit some of the amazing parts of Palestine - you won't regret it!

Acko/Acre is beautiful. Jerusalem full of history, Bethlehem - very touristy but fabulous and you get to see some of the amazing graffiti on the wall.
My DB lived in Ramala and that was a lovely city, he also took us to Hebron - eye opening hmm

minouminou Tue 21-Jan-14 21:57:51

Apparently they're using temporary cards now, instead of stamping your passport.
Wow, guys, thanks so much for the advice!

Shakshuka Tue 21-Jan-14 22:01:22

There is absolutely no way I'd take my kids to Hebron.

Chippingnortonset123 Tue 21-Jan-14 22:02:06

Didn't understand your post, Holla

Chippingnortonset123 Tue 21-Jan-14 22:03:54

No problem going to Hebron, or Nablus. There is about to be a third intifada but uk citizens will not be targeted.

HollaAtMeBaby Tue 21-Jan-14 22:06:55

I meant that I personally find "posting here for traffic" really annoying, lazy and stupid. Why don't you post in the right place? there's a travel forum on here and a whole big internet out there.

No, nobody made me the thread police, and yes, I am telling you where to post. So sue me. smile

Shakshuka Tue 21-Jan-14 22:08:12

Sorry, Chipping, I completely disagree.

You do not want to be in Hebron or Nablus with a 7 year old child, even as a British citizen, if things kick off.

It'd be totally irresponsible. Hamas in Gaza had no problems kidnapping foreign journalists. You don't know how a situation can deteriorate.

ScottishInSwitzerland Tue 21-Jan-14 22:09:48

Looks like you've had some good advice here

My mum had two passports just in case and skua because as another poster said its awkward going anywhere else in the Middle East if you have an Israel stamp on your passport.

I agree with what other posters said about the appalling conditions the Palestinians are subjected to. Some of the stories my mum told me broke my heart.

But if I'm honest I wouldn't take my own children to take those things so I can't in all honesty try to convince you to do that.

I agree you should be fine in touristy areas. Please try to spend money in some of the Palestinian shops. There really is such abject poverty over there and very little chance for many to make a decent living

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now