Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Posting here for traffic. Travelling from Israel into Jericho...any advice?

(100 Posts)
minouminou Tue 21-Jan-14 18:43:50

Visiting Israel next week, with DS, who's seven. Both on UK passports, and we're hoping to fit in a day trip to Jericho, which is in the Palestinian Territories. I know we'll be alright as Brits and tourists, but I'm wondering if anyone's had any hassle getting out of Ben Gurion airport on the way home...do you get a stamp in your passport upon entering Palestine? Etc etc...

Thanks a lot!

ScottishInSwitzerland Tue 21-Jan-14 18:47:49

I'm posting so I can find thread again.
My mum used to do charity work in Palestine so I will check with her.

I know they often got grief but not sure if it was the simple fact of going over the 'border' or if it was because of the work they did

minouminou Tue 21-Jan-14 18:52:41

Thanks for that...looking forward to you getting back to me.

splasheeny Tue 21-Jan-14 18:54:56

They will be very suspicious. I know friends who were taken for questioning and detained just for not answering questions right at border. I would highly advise against.

Also have you thought about how safe it is to go into the Palestinian territories?

minouminou Tue 21-Jan-14 18:58:13

All the current advice and info points towards Jericho being a safe tourist spot...both sides like to keep it that way because it's such an attraction.

minouminou Tue 21-Jan-14 18:59:09

It's got a cable car lift! And cafés!
Or am I just being naive?!

splasheeny Tue 21-Jan-14 19:00:11

The situation can quickly change so I would exercise caution. If you are happy for the hassle at the border then go for it though.

minouminou Tue 21-Jan-14 19:02:43

I'll take a view on the day we plan to go.
Staying with chums in Tel Aviv, so chances are they or their friends will know better than us and will deter us if they think it's too dodge!

minouminou Tue 21-Jan-14 19:07:18

Too dodgy on that day, that is...I'm not ignoring your advice, Splash.

eeyore2 Tue 21-Jan-14 19:12:40

I went once for the day, there was no passport stamp. It was easy.

MsAspreyDiamonds Tue 21-Jan-14 19:14:35

One of my colleagues regularly travels to Israel & Palestine and has to have two British passports. As apparantly he can't enter Israel with a Palestinian stamp and vice versa. It is best to check with the foreign office website to see what they advise.

minouminou Tue 21-Jan-14 19:17:14

Thanks, Asprey. That's the sort of thing I'm looking for.

MsAspreyDiamonds Tue 21-Jan-14 19:17:32
minouminou Tue 21-Jan-14 19:18:00

There's a bus service, though....
It's really bonkers.

MsAspreyDiamonds Tue 21-Jan-14 19:21:08

I can ask my colleague tomorrow as he is a frequent traveller to Israel for work purposes.

minouminou Tue 21-Jan-14 19:24:50

You're all being very kind, thank you.
I'm quite prepared to sack off the idea if necessary, so don't worry about us!!!

dogindisguise Tue 21-Jan-14 19:55:01

We visited Nablus when we were in holiday in Israel and didn't have any trouble. We didn't receive a stamp when going into the West Bank. We were with a tour group and I don't know if that made any difference.

Chippingnortonset123 Tue 21-Jan-14 19:59:49

I have just got back. We visited Jericho. We were going to ask for a stamp on a separate piece of paper but they automatically gave us a separate slip with a bar code to get in. You probably know but you need to keep your passports on you at all times. It is far worse for the Palestinians.

splasheeny Tue 21-Jan-14 20:02:17

If you aren't already going, the dead sea and masada are great alternatives.

Chippingnortonset123 Tue 21-Jan-14 20:03:03

Just re read the op. You will be fine on a day trip. There may be a checkpoint on the way back in but it will not affect you, with British passports.

Chippingnortonset123 Tue 21-Jan-14 20:05:57

Just re read the op. You will be fine on a day trip. There may be a checkpoint on the way back in but it will not affect you, with British passports.

minouminou Tue 21-Jan-14 20:32:20

Splash...our friends will take us to Jerusalem for a day, so if need be, that'll satisfy our need for very old cities (DS' big thing at the moment).
We'll also go to a beach and spend a day in the city.

Bearsandtoys Tue 21-Jan-14 20:39:42

I went 3 yrs ago from Jerusalem to Bethlehem, through the checkpoint. It was fine, we were obviously tourists. No passport stamps.

Chippingnortonset123 Tue 21-Jan-14 20:40:41

Found you!
I couldn't find this thread.
Pm me op and I will give you local knowledge and prices.
You shouldn't have any problems with uk passports.
Jericho was the biggest disappointment of our trip; make sure that you want to go up the cable car.
Trip to Masada and the Dead Sea was S240.
Dead Sea is fine in January and May be more memorable for Dcs.
No problems with checkpoints as long as you keep your passports with you and you are not Palestinian. If you are Palestinian be prepared to be treated like a black in apartheid South Africa.

Bearsandtoys Tue 21-Jan-14 20:40:58

By the way, Jerusalem is AMAZING, I'm so jealous! The wailing wall is fantastic and I suggest you go to the via dolorosa (stations of the cross) for some good people watching.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now