To be annoyed at the chugger who shouted excuse me redhead!

(116 Posts)
LittleMissGerardButlersMinion Tue 21-Jan-14 16:42:36

I always say no thank you to chuggers, as when I donate to charity I do it myself, never when I am approached.

Anyway one today shouted 'excuse me redhead' which I thought was very rude!

AIBU to think this was rude and get annoyed? I hate being called a redhead.

I still politely said no thank you and walked off, but inside I wanted to say 'did you mean to be so rude'

squoosh Tue 21-Jan-14 16:43:34

Chuggers are wankers. I dream about chugging them on the chops.

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 21-Jan-14 16:49:26

Are you a redhead? Surely it is purely descriptive if so?

Given how rude chuggers are they're likely to call you by any name that will get your attention and tell you to fuck off when you politely say no.

Tossers the lot of them.

StillaChocoholic Tue 21-Jan-14 16:51:29

It's better than oi ginge. I've had that a lot.

Beeyump Tue 21-Jan-14 16:53:19

Yanbu - just cheeky! As a fellow 'redhead' I understand why you think it's rude, but I find it hard to explain why. Hm

MBT1987 Tue 21-Jan-14 16:53:23

"What do you want, a******e?"

I promise I'm really polite - when the situation calls for it.

WeddingComingUp Tue 21-Jan-14 16:53:40

What the f is a chugger?

BeverlyMoss Tue 21-Jan-14 16:55:11

Charity mugger

diddl Tue 21-Jan-14 16:57:03

If you think it's rude & don't like it-don't acknowledge it!

MBT1987 Tue 21-Jan-14 16:58:20

"What the f is a chugger?"

Charity mugger. Gap year student in the street getting a fairly decent hourly wage and/or commission to harass people in the street, at their doors, etc, to sign up for Direct Debits to charidee.

My standard (and true) responses are either, "I don't have the cash to contribute £x per month regularly, do you do anything regarding one-off stuff?" or "I've played concerts for charity and am happy to donate my time for something like that - do you know of any coming up?". Watch them stumble over their words, because they've not been taught those ones.

DollyHouse Tue 21-Jan-14 17:00:15

I thought redhead was the equivalent of blonde or brunette.

But it is rude of him to shout you over like that.

MintyChops Tue 21-Jan-14 18:17:06

Fucking chugging scum, loathsome. YANBU.

NewtRipley Tue 21-Jan-14 18:27:46

It was probably his attempt at flirting.

I hate some wally with interesting headwear leaping like a Children' TV presenter in front of me at doing a fake flirt.

Chuggers are a pain in the arse. But calling you redhead is only the same as calling out hey blondie, isn't it? If you've got red hair and he didn't say anything derogatory then he was being descriptive.

peppersaunt Tue 21-Jan-14 19:35:44

Have some sympathy - all those out-of-work actors have to have something to do...

iklboo Tue 21-Jan-14 19:39:07

'OK, you give me your name, address, date of birth and full bank details in the middle of the street and then I'll give you mine'.

I'm sure ive told this on here before but it amuses us greatly at work because we have regular chuggers who work just outside the shop.

One tall, blonde woman has the job of approaching the young men. She'll be wearing a zipped up hoody when she approaches, she'll get them talking and then make this big show and dance about taking the hoody off and thrusting her boobs in the young chaps face.
Once he has gone she'll put the hoody back on and do exactly the same thing to the next bloke!

It has us in fits.

grin

they do my bulb in. it must be a crappy job but still not the best way to get people to donate.

GlitzAndGiggles Tue 21-Jan-14 19:54:33

Ugh one cocksure chugger approached me the other day saying "hello madam that's an interesting coat you're wearing" so I said yeah and kept walking. My coat is light blue confused

HairyWorm Tue 21-Jan-14 20:17:39

The chugger I passed on my local high street was obviously put out that I was on my phone when I passed him. As I approached he did the 'excuse me madam, have you got a minute...blah blah'. Then when I looked up and he saw I was on my phone, he said 'oh that old chestnut!'.
I obviously should have been available to chat. Wanker!

DejaVuAllOverAgain Tue 21-Jan-14 21:35:02

My usual reply to chuggers is "I've got no money so I won't waste your time."

They usually stop and look a bit uncertain giving me time to walk off down the street.

Mimishimi Tue 21-Jan-14 21:59:30

I detest the ones that say "hello mum" with a sneer on their faces. I'm not your bloody mother you prat!

Charlesroi Tue 21-Jan-14 22:24:47

It is never unreasonable to be annoyed at a chugger.

BadLad Wed 22-Jan-14 04:28:21

I usually talk to them in a Vicky Pollard voice.

If I got greeted with "hello blondie" by a chugger I'd tell him where to shove his clipboard shock

So rude.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now