In giving the Asda delivery driver an egg?

(120 Posts)
THERhubarb Tue 21-Jan-14 13:51:32

I don't really know why I gave him an egg. He was young and seemed nice, asked me how my week was and everything. As I was going into the kitchen with the bags I passed the eggbox. I took one out, told him that my little hen had just laid it that morning and told him to take it with him.

He said it would break but I said to just shove it in his pocket.

He did look a bit puzzled and afterwards I wondered why I had given him an egg but at the time it just seemed the right thing to do?

THERhubarb Tue 21-Jan-14 14:04:23

I suppose it would have been more weird if it had been a shop bought egg, but the eggs my hen is laying at the moment is half the size of a shop bought one, they are really tiny and I only gave him one.

I should have given him at least three shouldn't I?

Dare I order from Asda ever again?

tombakerscarf Tue 21-Jan-14 14:06:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FuckingWankwings Tue 21-Jan-14 14:06:08

Be prepared. Cut some of the little sections out of an eggbox and have an egg (or, yes, two or three might be nice) ready and waiting to hand to him, all protected.

ISeeYouShiverWithAntici Tue 21-Jan-14 14:06:41

You must.

Next week give him a rasher of bacon.

In a month, he'll have a full English.

Dillydollydaydream Tue 21-Jan-14 14:08:33

Ah this made me giggle! Thing we should all give our delivery drivers eggs from now on.

If it makes you feel better, my window cleaner thinks my dad is running a harem. I recently moved home and the WC seemed to think I was my dad's new fancy piece, not sure what he makes of my mum living here too.

confused

Catsize Tue 21-Jan-14 14:09:35

Eggcellent thing to do - not a poultry gift at all, but very henerous.

THERhubarb Tue 21-Jan-14 14:10:02

I am feeling a trifle embarrassed I must admit.

I am just imagining the egg breaking in his pocket now and he'll have to do the rest of the deliveries with a huge sticky stain where there really shouldn't be one and stinking of egg.

Should I telephone the Asda hotline and apologise/explain?

ISeeYouShiverWithAntici Tue 21-Jan-14 14:11:47

tbh, he'll have put it in a bin or something. Sorry. grin

tombakerscarf Tue 21-Jan-14 14:11:49

spiderlight Tue 21-Jan-14 14:13:57

Is this a yolk?

fascicle Tue 21-Jan-14 14:16:33

This feels like the beginning of a modern day fairytale. No doubt the egg will turn out to have magical properties, and something very positive/life changing will be happening to the Asda man soon...

THERhubarb Tue 21-Jan-14 14:16:34

<groan>

THERhubarb Tue 21-Jan-14 14:17:26

What like the magic bean in Jack and the Beanstalk?

That would be epic!

MeepMeepVrooooom Tue 21-Jan-14 14:19:38

What would the eggs magical outcome be though?

HomeIsWhereTheGinIs Tue 21-Jan-14 14:19:50

OP I think that you sound like a lovely person! How kind to share the eggs from your little hen!
I offered a humbug to a chap that have me his seat on the train the other day but he didn't take it. Maybe we as a society have been conditioned not to egg-cept food gifts from people we don't know?

What's your secret? My chickens haven't laid in months. I'd have an egg off you any day. Very kind. I think the ASDA man was very lucky and I shall picture him tucking in to his dippy and soldiers for breakfast tomorrow.

THERhubarb Tue 21-Jan-14 14:21:51

I don't really like humbugs though. They remind me of old people. Not that you are old, just that the sweet is. Next time you should offer him one egg from your eggbox.

StormEEweather Tue 21-Jan-14 14:22:47

And people say AIBU is all goady bun fighting. OP you are great.

ifyourehoppyandyouknowit Tue 21-Jan-14 14:23:37

I'm waiting for the post later 'AIBU to think my husband is having an affair? He said he was at work but he came home with a smashed egg in his pocket?!'

tombakerscarf Tue 21-Jan-14 14:24:01

THERhubarb Tue 21-Jan-14 14:24:30

farewell tis only tiny though, I mean really tiny and more round than oval.

I have no secret, 2 of my hens started laying at Christmas and haven't stopped. The third is a bit young yet.

I do spoil them though.

They have funky names too, Peck, Dave and Ironman.

I told the delivery driver that his egg was laid by Dave. Which actually probably just made it worse. I am hoping he knew that I meant Dave the hen and not some hairy bloke upstairs?

Oh shit.

THERhubarb Tue 21-Jan-14 14:25:53

Could have been worse I suppose. It could have been Ironman.

I am never ever going to get another Asda delivery.

Well, imagine, he could be fertilizing that egg right now! (if only he and your hen were fish)

I haven't time to read the thread but am absolutely wetting myself laughing at the OP... Hilarious grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now