to think childminders should play with their mindees?

(132 Posts)
smuggler Tue 21-Jan-14 13:04:49

My dd went to a childmindwe briefly a few years ago when she was three years old. She used to come home telling me she'd watched tv all day. I approached the cm about this who said that wasn't true. Dds behaviour alternated between being hyperactive and lethargic which fitted in better with dds version of her day and I switched to a nursery where dd was much happier.

I was at toddler group with my other dd this morning and saw the cm there. She works with her sister and they sat chatting for the entire three hours, only stopping to put the baby's dummy back in if he made a noise. When they were leaving I saw that they had 8 children with them! All of whom had been ignored throughout the group despite a couple having been hitting others and one that cried in the corner for most of it. A mum came in to drop a little girl off and cm made a big fuss of her in front of mum. Within thirty seconds of her leaving the little girl was plonked down crying and cm returned to her conversation, vaguely telling her to go and play every five mins or so.

Aibu to think cm's should play with their mindees and to be cross at this shit treatment of little children whose parents are paying for 'mother-like loving care' and being told what wonderful days they've had?

BrandNewIggi Sun 26-Jan-14 11:52:59

You can post about housework without being anti-childminder you know! I use a childminder. It is possible to discuss certain aspects of a job without meaning you hold the whole thing in disregard. It wouldn't have occurred to me that housework was an issue if others hadn't brought it up.
And no, I wouldn't do online banking etc when at work, unless on a break. I'm not paid for that. As cm don't get breaks in the same way, obviously there is a need for more flexibility in their day to make up for this.

MPB Sun 26-Jan-14 12:06:44

There does needs to be flexibility and understanding. And I am so very very lucky that my parents understand I need to do things in the day.

I think they understand how tedious the job can be stuck in the house / trudging between toddlers/ school so don't mind me doing some day to day stuff. After all that's why many if them went back to work.
In some ways it is even more tedious as I don't have the freedom to dump them in a pram and bog off to Meadowhall like I did with my own!

Some like us to mimic daily life others prefer a nursery type childminder.
Each to their own.

I have never ever ignored my mindees at groups. I wouldn't do it.
Besides there's that many judgey pants people I wouldn't get away with it! wink

Tanith Sun 26-Jan-14 12:15:12

Of course you can, Iggi. There are, however, posters on this thread who appear on every similar thread solely to put the boot in.

IneedAsockamnesty Sun 26-Jan-14 12:40:21

Tanith.

No they really wouldn't. Everybody other than really very stupid people knows that there is good and bad in every job.

kitchensinkmum Sun 26-Jan-14 19:27:17

MPB
I totally agree. Being with a childminder should be the same as being with your own mother . Just the same.
I don't see why a CM can't hang her washing out while children play in the garden . How many other jobs are there where your house trashed for 12 hours a day
And for as little as £4 per hour per child.
Childminders are expected to be teachers but without the training, the pay, the long holidays and the respect.
Plus adults shouldn't play with children all day long, or they will never develop an imagination, or learn to risk take. The world has gone crazy on my humble opinion.

HappyMummy93 Sat 16-Aug-14 18:42:33

Hi, I know this is a really old thread but could you possible tell me what mindees means. I had some photos done of my son and the photographer put them on her fb page... Somebody has commented on it tagging someone saying isn't this one of your mindees? The person replied saying "no :/" I've tried asking them but no reply. Don't mean to sound like a crazy mum but it's bugging me and nothing comes up on google when I type it in. Any help would be amazing thanks!

ConcreteElephant Sat 16-Aug-14 18:50:09

Mindees are the children that are looked after by the childminder.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now