AIBU as a newbie here to wonder why some of the users here can be so judgemental?

(42 Posts)
Newmummee Mon 20-Jan-14 22:11:51

I have noticed that sometimes people ask things and if another doesn't agree they can be quite rude or blunt about it. Some things I read are quite judgemental as I'm sure we do not know the full stories or backgrounds of others.
Also are there any lighthearted / jokey sections on this forum?

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Tue 21-Jan-14 09:53:16

Hello Newmummee smile

It's not one of the fluffy boards but there are some great posters here.

Keep reading and you'll see people speak their mind but it's not just vicious there's a lot of common sense and plain speaking. We do only get one side of the story if you like but that's the Internet for you. If you think oh that can't possibly be true and suspect a troll don't call it press Report.

Click on Topics and go down the list to the Fun and Games section, there are things like Chat or Telly Addicts or Only Joking and Sleb Twaddle.

PenguinDancer Tue 21-Jan-14 09:53:24

Everybody judges all the time. You are judging the people on here for how they say things.

This isn't RL and you don't have to sugar coat things. If people come on asking questions or ready for a debate, they will get straight answers. Cuts out the normal bollocks we deal with in RL.

Tiredemma Tue 21-Jan-14 09:55:54

The problem with AIBU is that people generally start a thread and really want all posters to agree with them.

There is some nonsense on there though. I do wonder how people cope in real life.

Damnautocorrect Tue 21-Jan-14 09:56:21

I came on here when I had my little one, I felt so judged and like a failure. I felt like the shittest mum in the world.
Now he's older I know I did a good job and did what was right for him/ me/ our family.

Seems to me you only feel it is judgemental rather than supportive when the person is offering a different opinion to yours but that is the nature of AIBU.

I don't even think AIBU is as harsh as its reputation comes across - there are some good debates yes, some get quite heated but on the whole people aren't being judgemental. I think there is a difference between blunt and telling it how you see it and being judgemental. I suspect that others don't necessarily agree with that but again, that is because they hold opposite views. If they agreed with you and you were speaking your mind, they'd call you supportive!

Never forget either, that nuance and sarcasm are sometimes lost when threads move fast and people don't have time to write what they really mean and check that it isn't going to offend.

Of course there are some vipers who really don't care but you learn to rise above them.grin

Fecklessdizzy Tue 21-Jan-14 10:16:39

Clue's in the title, I'm afraid ... If you want unadulterated lurve and hugs don't post in AIBU!

Actually some of the most helpful posts I've had have been the ones telling me I'm being a twat! ( DP's ghastly hair thread in particular ... grin )

CuttedUpPear Tue 21-Jan-14 11:23:57

OP can I ask if you tried any other parenting forums before coming here?

Some of the others are are bit more fun and fluffy and they have sparkly tickers

Newmummee Tue 21-Jan-14 13:34:24

•Cutted• this is my first mums forum I've come on as only recently had a baby..... I wasn't saying I don't like it here just commenting on what I thought, also I'm not looking for fluffy fun more like banter and wit, feel like everything a bit toooooo serious here at times is all, like some people maybe should lighten up

ChippingInWadesIn Tue 21-Jan-14 13:38:10

It always interests me why someone new would start a thread saying how they dislike something... I wouldn't dream of trolling another website nor telling the posters how horrible they are, there are plenty of sites out there, if I didn't like it I'd look for another one.

HoneyDragon Tue 21-Jan-14 13:43:35

Aaaaaah, mumsnet isn't just a mums forum. Which is a good thing not a bad thing.

Anyway, welcome smile, how olds your lo?

fromparistoberlin Tue 21-Jan-14 13:48:00

yes, especially if you are a STEPMOTHER

Tweasels Tue 21-Jan-14 14:50:56

Hmm, banter and wit? <looks under sofa>. Nope nothing there. Just serious, serious shit here.

CuttedUpPear Tue 21-Jan-14 14:53:54

What Chipping says ^

If you take some time to read threads around the site, there are people asking for advice on all sorts of serious matters, such as adoption, life threatening illnesses, domestic violence and so on. They get fantastic support here, both virtual and practical, and I think that's how a lot of posters started up here - when they needed help in a crisis.

If you take a look at the Woolly Hugs threads you will see the kind of thing I mean.

Tiredemma Tue 21-Jan-14 14:57:29

Ive had nothing but support on here. Crying babies, weaning babies, advice on applying for college, advice on applying for Uni, advice on applying for a job, venting about family members, stressing about finding myself PG last year with DC3, back to looking for support with non-sleeping new baby and also how to lose weight and keep fit.

Great advice on here if you want it.

Avoid AIBU.

Alifelivedforwards Tue 21-Jan-14 14:58:50

Because Mumsnet is made up of thousands of individual people - rather than one homogenous clump of people who respond and behave in one way.

So, just as in real life, some users are more judgemental than others.

HTH.

Chippingnortonset123 Tue 21-Jan-14 15:08:35

Chipping, you will be relieved to hear that I am changing my name on Friday. No internet here at the moment and relying on phone. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Op, it can be hard if you go against the grain. As far as I can tell, some people spend their lives on here. I would imagine that causing friction creates interest. Look out for the names that come up all the time. I would imagine that they don't work.

Chippingnortonset123 Tue 21-Jan-14 15:14:04

(Chipping, esp apologies on Christmas Eve)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now