To expect a refund/credit note despite having no receipt.

(64 Posts)
LEMmingaround Mon 20-Jan-14 20:13:15

So we bought DD a pair of ankle boots for school, at the end of nov begining of december.Not sure when. Anyway, they have pretty much fallen apart. I wasn't going to bother trying for a refund as we don't have the receipt but folk have told me that i should.

As they are, imo, faulty, i shouldn't need a receipt should i?

Of course without the receipt they could be years old and i could just be trying it on. But they are a new design, i know this because when we bought them i asked the woman if they were suitable for school and would last - she reassured me yes they would be fine and that she hadn't had any complaints, although they are a new style and they haven't had them long. So she should know that they aren't old.

Called the shop today, the staff member told me to take them over, he agreed with me that they were falling to bits. One was much worse than the other. This was a shop ten miles from home so a car/bus journey away. He said he would recommend a refund/credit note but had to phone his boss. She is insisting that i take the boots over there on wednesday so she can look at them herself hmm Surely if she is leaving staff in change of the shop she should give them the autonomy to make a judgement call on if the shoes need replacing.

I have bought at least four pairs of shoes from this shop before and they are not cheap. We paid £55 for the boots and they are not 3 months old yet but they are unwearable.

What are my rights? Can i insist on a credit note despite not having the receipt? Have never had this issue in bigger shops - this is a small independent shop which i try to support, but if this is what their customer service is like i think i shall be hot footing it to john lewis for DD's next pair of shoes.

JRmumma Fri 24-Jan-14 16:57:38

No i won't buy any yet, don't see the point until he can walk (and he doesn't even roll or sit up yet!) but its just interesting that no-one on this thread rates Clarks and i genuinely didn't know anywhere else to buy little babies shoes. Everyone seems to just get Clarks at first as a rite of passage!

LEMmingaround Fri 24-Jan-14 16:03:09

Don't get drawn into buying shoes too young. They really don't need them until they are walking outside x

JRmumma Fri 24-Jan-14 15:24:52

TBH DS is only 5mo so we haven't had to buy shoes yet but i was just going to go to Clarks (as you do, it seems) and get his first pair of shoes. But good to know that once he gets a bit older then it might be worth branching out!

prh47bridge Fri 24-Jan-14 14:45:57

Returning to this late but...

The Sale of Goods Act is quite clear on the requirement to produce proof of purchase

No it isn't. It doesn't even mention proof of purchase.

If the seller denies having sold the goods to you proof of purchase helps. But if it goes to court you will not automatically lose just because you cannot produce proof of purchase. The court will decide whether or not you purchased the goods from the seller on the balance of probabilities.

LEMmingaround Fri 24-Jan-14 09:26:12

Start-rite are good but really expensive, they do do a more formal range of proper school shoes although have been sucked in by fashion somewhat too. What ever happened to the proper shoes with the t-bar and the buckle, thats what i want to know - i mean, i had to wear them so i should be able to inflict the same on my children!

AwfulMaureen Fri 24-Jan-14 09:22:44
jacks365 Fri 24-Jan-14 09:16:39

I've been buying start rite recently with no issues at all but can't vouch for their school shoes as I don't currently have a child in school shoes but I would expect her current ones in black to be suitable and after several months of hard wear they still look immaculate.

AwfulMaureen Fri 24-Jan-14 08:33:09

Jack do you mind telling me where you get school shoes from that aren't Clark's please? I'm so tired of that shop.

LEMmingaround Fri 24-Jan-14 08:26:06

I feel your pain jrumma. I eventually got dd a psir of hush puppies. Had discounted before but they have a really good depth to them which is adjustable by varying the sole inserts. Dd needed two different depths so this worked well for her. They were still £££ though but I have definitely bought my last pair of clarks shoes.

JRmumma Fri 24-Jan-14 08:14:40

Yes good point, where do we buy kids shoes from then??

Grumpasaurus Thu 23-Jan-14 23:02:10

Another Clark's shoes hater! Bought some expensive brown brogues from them last spring. They were tatty and the souls had worn completely through by beginning of summer. They refused a refund!

Debs75 Thu 23-Jan-14 22:44:55

So I think most of us are starting to realise that Clarks are not the best shoes for kids so where is the place to get kids shoes from? I go to Brantanos which does offer ore of a range but I'm not convinced they are consistently better than Clarks.

OP Great news on the refund and for putting a sarky sales assistant in her place

sazzlesb Thu 23-Jan-14 14:54:41

I agree you'll probably need some proof of purchase unless they take your word for it (which it sounds like they have). Legally, under the Sale of Goods Act you have a contract with them and under the terms, they must provide you with goods that are of a satisfactory quality and match the description of them. You can "reject"(return) the goods if they breach this and get your money back or get a replacement. Hope that helps

LEMmingaround Wed 22-Jan-14 13:56:26

The owner was ok about it, made a few sarky comments about school shoes (shut up when I told her she was the one who sold them to us AS school shes). Also tried to say dd heavy footed. She is but shes not actually a horse! But anyway, all amicable. I couldn't find anything suitable for dd so need to find a pair on non mary jane non lace ip shoes now.

JRmumma Wed 22-Jan-14 13:00:53

You don't actually need a receipt, you need proof of purchase. If you used a credit/debit card and it says that you spent £55 then i believe that they will have to honour this as a refund. Quote sale of goods act (i think that's the right one!)

jacks365 Wed 22-Jan-14 12:57:07

Well done. I'm another who will never buy clarks shoes again. Last pair looked tatty and worn within a week, dd is a toddler who crawls around while playing and shoes in that size should be able to cope with it.

Maryland2013 Wed 22-Jan-14 12:53:18

smile
Well done smile

LEMmingaround Wed 22-Jan-14 11:51:20

Full refund smile

ThistleLickerIsGoingToBeAMummy Wed 22-Jan-14 10:35:36

I got shoes from Clark's but made the mistake of throwing away the receipt with the bag, wasn't given a box, after only tow days of wearing them the soles had worn away and the insides had freyed! I took them back to a
Store more local than the one I bought them from, because I had no receipt she would only refund half the price back even though they were advertised at full price still, this to me wasn't acceptable as 50pound shoes shouldn't be in that condition after two days wear! The sales assistant was arsey and rude and the shoes to me weren't fit for purpose and I felt I should have a full refund! I went there on recommendation that they are good quality last a lifetime shoe, in the end miss arsey rang the store I bought them from and quoted the time and my card number and I got a full refund! I won't be back to Clark for shoeshmm

LEMmingaround Wed 22-Jan-14 10:29:29

To be fair, i have returned a pair of DD's shoes to clarks as within two weeks they were rubbing her little toe. We took her to be measured in anotehr store and the shoes were too small. They couldn't have been nicer, we didn't have the receipt either i don't think. To be fair i had emailed head office first but they gave us a full refund and a £15 money off voucher. Saying that, clarks shoes are shite nowadays.

LEMmingaround Wed 22-Jan-14 10:25:41

Right then: Today's the day

I am going in armed with my SAD FART rules and expect to come out with a refund.

I will accept a credit note if the woman is reasonable, but if she tries to argue the toss then she will have to give me my money back.

Wish me luck smile

jlb1234 Tue 21-Jan-14 22:05:01

That it is Floggingmolly. I bought DS new school shoes from clarkes in september, by late nov/december he had put his toe through them.
I didnt take them back because i assumed i would be told it was normal wear and tear. Ultimately they were just shitty shoes.

Floggingmolly Tue 21-Jan-14 21:56:54

Ah, then you're home dry. And Clarks are still trading on the reputation they built around 50 years ago... These days they are pure shite smile

LEMmingaround Tue 21-Jan-14 21:52:08

Our school doesn't "allow" boots either and i ordinarily wouldn't choose them as i wouldnt want to wear boots all day, but these were comfortable and soft - the upper is still pristine, just the soles fallen off! I honestly don't rate clarks at all - nothing they have seems to fit DD, she has a high instep which is why the mary janes have been ruled out. Our school has a very strict uniform policy, but they also apply a modicum of common sense.

Flogging - i was worried about this, but have since opening this thread found out we actually purchased them on DP's debit card so have it on the bank statement so they really have no comeback.

Debs75 Tue 21-Jan-14 21:40:18

Suburban the fact they are boots not shoes has nothing to do with the proof of purchase or refund wanted. Clarks shoes aren't the be all and end all of school shoes either. Both my girls have boots for winter as I don't want them wearing silly summer style shoes in the snow and the school are perfectly fine with that as they have indoor sandshoes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now