Early retirement

(64 Posts)
googlenut Mon 20-Jan-14 19:04:45

So I wasn't sure where to put this but I wondered what people thought about early retirement. Me and dh had our children later in life so will probably work into our sixties. But we were watching A place in the sun and they were interviewing a couple who didn't look more than 50 and they had retired to Portugal and there life seemed -well- a bit empty of anything.
At work some of my colleagues are aiming to retire at 55 but this seems very young to me.
Wondered if there were people who have done it and found it wasn't the nirvana they imagined.

AnyFucker Tue 21-Jan-14 17:25:05

yep, not always a bed of roses

my mum is now stuck with my father 24/7

can think of nothing worse

My Dad retired at 60 then went to Uni. He travelled all over the place and had lots of hobbies and voluntary work. I think he was almost busier in retirement than in work.

Its very sad when you hear of people retiring to do nothing or staying trapped in an unhappy situation.

GreenShadow Tue 21-Jan-14 19:37:05

I have been lucky and was able to have several years off work as a SAHM and since returning to employment, have been part time. I am therefore in no hurry to retire and envisage continuing to work part time until mid 60s at least.

I do however already feel I'm close to heading towards being half retired as I seem to mix with people in their 60s quite a lot these days who are doing the recently retired thing - volunteering in the Community Library, afternoon art history course etc.

Preciousbane Tue 21-Jan-14 19:56:28

Just because your retired doesn't mean a boring life. My friend is 71 and retired a bit early at about 57, I didn't know him then.

He helps run a charity and does lots of community work as does his wife. They do some of their good works together and some apart for different organisations. They also love golf and play every week and have lots of holidays.

They have decent pensions. Which is the key and quite good health.

HesterShaw Tue 21-Jan-14 20:23:31

I think the key is, if you have a relationship, is for it to be strong, supportive and loving - a real partnership. This is apart from being financially secure.

alma123 Tue 21-Jan-14 20:27:50

My Dad retired at 53. He seems happy walking his dog etc and is as fit as a fiddle, but my Mum who retired early seems bored. They both have the money to go on holidays but they don't. I guess the earlier you retire, the longer your money has to last. Of course, they get a pension but it probably isn't enough to save for a rainy day from.

MoreBeta Tue 21-Jan-14 20:28:37

Me and DW both retired shortly after we had DS2. We lasted 10 years and went back to work.

MidniteScribbler Tue 21-Jan-14 20:34:58

I'm aiming for full retirement by 60, possibly working part time from 55. I really can't imagine wanting to be bouncing around with a class of 7 year olds at 68.

angelinajelly Tue 21-Jan-14 20:39:28

My parents and in-laws are in their 60s and retired. They all have bags of energy and spend their time rooting around for things to poke their noses into keep themselves occupied. I feel mean for saying it, but it does irk me a bit when they go on about how BUSY they are. I really am busy, as in, I have to work full time to support myself rather than entertain myself, and I'm pretty sure I won't get a 20-plus year retirement to enjoy at the end of it.

bigTillyMint Tue 21-Jan-14 20:39:57

Can you not, Midnite?grin

bigTillyMint Tue 21-Jan-14 20:40:57

Angelina, DM does this. She spends most of the day pottering/snoozing although she does do some stuffsmile

sooperdooper Tue 21-Jan-14 20:45:51

My mum retired last year, aged 56 and she's happily very busy with lots of hobbies, she does an art class and then paints at home too, knits/crochets, sews, goes on days out with friends, and her & my dad plan nice holidays - I think early retirement is great if you keep busy and have some kind of schedule to keep yourself active

I could retire tomorrow and never be bored, if I had enough money to live on!!

storynanny Tue 21-Jan-14 20:58:56

I've posted on the education staffroom site about early retirement.
I loved my primary teaching job for 33 years and thought I would enjoy teaching til I was old and grey. However, continual nonsense in schools coupled with middle age exhaustion creeping up, elderly parents getting infirm and children all becoming independent adults brought me to a turning point 2 years ago.
I took early retirement with an extrememly small reduced pension, a small lump sum which paid off my mortgage and now choose when I do supply teaching. My life is transformed for the better.
But, I couldn't have done it before 55 as financially would have been impossible. I do have hobbies and a lovely OH to spend time with but also enjoy days doing not much at all!
I have yet to meet anyone who regretted early retirement. Anyway, if they did regret it surely they could re enter the job market at some time? Or do voluntary work if they are ok financially.
My father was fortunate enough to retire at 59 and has had almost 30 years of retirement. I never ever saw him lost for something to do.
It might be hard taking early retirement if you don't have a good relationship with your partner though.

coocachoo Sat 25-Jan-14 13:45:56

my dh retired at 60 all he does is watch tv and puts on weight as he wont even go out i walk the dog and go out but he just sits there depressed and he argues with me and my 14 yr old dd whot is argumentive at times. We moved house to hb and dont like it so quiet and surrounded by very old retirees who seem happy but its not for us my dh has prostate probs too since we came here which dosent help. i think working keeps u young but i am having trouble finding work too despite being 55. I want to move back but am now stuck as my dd is doing exams so cannot move for 2 yrs but we will whatever the future brings as im not dead yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now