To ask all you E-bay sellers . . .

(29 Posts)
StrawberryTeddybear Mon 20-Jan-14 15:27:55

If its worth the hassle?

Never sold on there before but I have loads of clothes I've only worn a few times that I need to get rid of.

Due to a mixture of not being able to fit in them anymore a horrible reality check and the need of making some extra cash, I could also do with some space in my cupboards.

All the clothes are a bit musty smelling due to lack of wearing so I will have to wash and iron them all before taking pics and creating a profile. I'd price them anything from £2-£20 plus P&P.

So more of a IIWI? is it worth it

Awkwardsis Mon 20-Jan-14 15:30:59

If they're decent brands its definitely worth it. Be careful of selling musty things though. It's quite hard to get that smell out and tbh I'd be unhappy to receive something that's obviously gotten damp. Take decent pictures, write a good description. I also think putting things as a buy it now rather than auction works better for me.

Awkwardsis Mon 20-Jan-14 15:32:23

And fwiw, the brands I find sell best are Fat Face, White Stuff and Boden. I've never had any trouble shifting those. Cheaper brands, or even low level high street, I just wouldn't bother with, and take straight to the charity shop.

greenfolder Mon 20-Jan-14 15:32:29

i would say not in my experience unless they are practically new (people will complain about condition) and good recognised brands. unless you have lots of time and zero money. i have ebayed furniture and toys sucessfully. everything else i would burn rather than bother!

StrawberryTeddybear Mon 20-Jan-14 15:35:48

awkwardsis they only smell as they've not been in the wash for a while, they are not mouldy.

StrawberryTeddybear Mon 20-Jan-14 15:36:31

Or damp even!

Awkwardsis Mon 20-Jan-14 15:38:45

For the cheaper stuff, consider joining a local Facebook selling group. No fees, and no posting smile

cozietoesie Mon 20-Jan-14 15:42:29

Do some research first though to see what sells on the site at this time of year - and for how much. It's a lot of work to prepare things for sale, take pictures and write a decent listing so probably best not to bother if you're only going to get 99p before fees for items. (Unless you're lucky of course and have lots of time on your hands.) Oh - and do your first few on a Free Listing Day if you can eg have the pictures and the measuring etc ready prepared. They don't give you much warning.

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Mon 20-Jan-14 15:42:31

Depending on the item it can be worth it. I found Monsoon children's clothes sell really well.

ENormaSnob Mon 20-Jan-14 15:45:33

Depends on the brand and the item.

Vix1980 Mon 20-Jan-14 15:54:12

If you have, say 20 items that you were thinking of taking to the charity shop, you wash, iron and take pics of them all and start them at 99p each (which is free by the way), even if they stay at 99p only, after postage and fees, you end up with around £15. better than nothing.

Again it does depend on the brand, the better ones i start for around £2.50 and the cheaper ones like asda/tesco or primark i start for 99p.

cozietoesie Mon 20-Jan-14 16:00:44

Oh - and try to get as good a picture as you can and also to do a decent listing, with measurements for clothes. A surprising number of people list things with indifferent photos and just put 'Nice dress' or something similar.

And then are surprised when people walk on by?

StrawberryTeddybear Mon 20-Jan-14 16:58:57

Oooh these tips are fab!

Megrim Mon 20-Jan-14 17:04:27

Make sure that you mention any defects, however minor. Good measurements are an absolute must. Make sure you can post out promptly, as people don't like to wait for items to be dispatched.

And don't say "no returns".

badasahatter Mon 20-Jan-14 17:07:39

Don't forget to take your Final Value Fees and your Paypal fees from your profit. I know it seems like money for nothing, but if you end up paying a good chunk out for fees, it could be more profitable to do a car boot sale with them when the weather brightens up. Especially if you don't have ages to spend on ironing things and taking pictures of them. Some children's toys do incredibly well.

I'd spend an evening doing research. Look at the item you have, eg fat face shirt 14, see what comes up. At the side of the bar, you'll have lots of options you can choose from. Pick 'completed' and it will bring up anything where the auction has finished. Put it in 'highest first' order and you'll be able to see the maximum amount you're likely to get for your top. Hopefully there will be something similar so you can make a comparison. Be warned, though...sometimes something looks like it will do silly money and it's just a blip in the usual order of things.

I always think of Ebay a bit like gambling. Will it be worth putting in the time and effort to sell an item? Will I get a return for my time/money?? I find it's a great way of building up a holiday fund.

MegaClutterSlut Mon 20-Jan-14 17:10:29

I stopped selling on eBay due to to the high fees. Unless designer your probably better selling them on your facebook local selling groups

ConferencePear Mon 20-Jan-14 17:20:26

Before I decide to try to sell something I always put a brief description of it into a search and then click on the "show sold listings only". This gives you a better idea if it's likely to sell and what price to ask for it.

TeacupDrama Mon 20-Jan-14 17:20:47

if you sell an item for 99p with postage of 2.60 your fees will be
ebay 36p ( 10% of item plus postage 0.99 +2.59 = 3.59)
paypal 32p ( 3.4% of total plus 20p)
so 99p -68p =31p profit so if she sells 20 items her profit will be £6.20 not £15

i do not think £6 is adequate return for 20 listings so unless you are sure they will go for more I would not bother

obviously if you sell a 1000 items a week with 31p profit it might be worth it

you can add a small amount say 30p for clothes to postage to cover mailing bag if you do not have any you can buy them off ebay for 6-10p a bag ( but you need to order 20+)

do an advance search check on "sold" items not "completed" as that brings up all the unsold ones too see what average is

motheroftwoboys Mon 20-Jan-14 17:21:46

Love selling on e-bay but it is really only labels that sell as OPs have pointed out. Need a good pic and honest description. Always great fun lurking around when the auction is coming to a close and seeing what you have made. If things don't sell you re-list immediately (or just give to the next charity collection). I always just start bids at 99p - don't bother with a reserve price as it puts people off.

VacantExpression Mon 20-Jan-14 17:26:43

Agree with all of above. I've also found girls Next clothes sell well in Europe. I can usually sell for nearly what I paid for something, more in the case of a couple of items i'd bought in the sale. That said ive also come unstuck with postage when posting to UK, jeans are heavy!!

Whocansay Mon 20-Jan-14 17:29:47

I do this, but do it slightly differently to some of the others here. I will look at an item and decide what is the minimum I will accept for it and will list it at that price. I also always do P&P 2nd class recorded as I want proof of delivery.

The brands that sell for me: Hobbs, Coast, Karen Millen, Laura Ashley, Whistles.

I would take lower end high street goods to the charity shop. Apart from River Island jeans, which also seem to sell.

I don't make loads, or sell things quickly this way, but in the past, I've been annoyed when things have gone for less than I really wanted for them. I always wait for a 0% insertion fees weekend too, as then you lose nothing if stuff doesn't sell.

Good luck.

MsAspreyDiamonds Mon 20-Jan-14 17:33:52

If you have high end label or good quality stuff try Couvtique or Vestaire as they resell clothes only so things sell fast.

MsAspreyDiamonds Mon 20-Jan-14 17:37:59

My sister has a dressmakers dummy which she uses to display her clothes on for ebay pictures. They sell much more quickly than a conventional picture & remember v good lighting & take pics against a white wall.

StrawberryTeddybear Mon 20-Jan-14 20:11:42

Thanks for all replies and tips!

The stuff I have are high street mainly - new look, H&M, topshop, primark , shall find a page to sell on fb too then as eBay may not be the right

StrawberryTeddybear Mon 20-Jan-14 20:12:55

Stupid phone!

The right place is how that should finish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now