to wonder why my car has been broken into 3 times in 2 months

(48 Posts)
babybarrister Mon 20-Jan-14 11:57:41

there is nothing of value in it and what there was they left including:

a 4 year old satnav - left twice!

collection of CDs [to my embarrassment including Huey Lewis & the NEws] - no surprise that they left Huey .....

the window is never broken so I guess they must be using some electronic device to pop the locks

now it is just irritating - anyone have any advice?!

BrianTheMole Tue 21-Jan-14 23:06:56

Yes, one of my clients, who had a history of breaking into peoples cars, told me about the rings left on the windscreen. And warned me to be careful grin

Sallyingforth Tue 21-Jan-14 12:48:57

Cat We have been advised by police to make sure the 'sucky cup thing' doesn't leave a ring on the windscreen because the thieves look for that as a clue there might be something worth nicking in the car.

MiaowTheCat Tue 21-Jan-14 08:51:08

Had it here - couple of times within a fortnight... nothing of value taken, apart from the suction cup for the sat nav from the glove box (considering the replacement costs of ones that actually suck - I realised why quite quickly!) - just going around looking for people doing stuff like leaving sat navs in the gloveboxes I assume (I don't leave it in there - just the sucky cup thing that I take off the windscreen).

Local police said they'd just had a bit of bother with it for a couple of weeks in our area and then it died off again.

EllaMenopy Tue 21-Jan-14 02:38:13

Did they take spare change?

I had my car broken into repeatedly over a few weeks- window smashed each time (which made me very cross as superexpensive bits of glass), belongings rifled through and strewn all over the streets. The first time they did get a bit of cash which had been sitting in the glovebox, nothing too vast but did include a few notes. So then they came back every couple of weeks to look for more, even when I left the car unlocked and notes on the dashboard telling them there was nothing valuable inside.

According to the police, it was probably some kids who lived on my street and had form for occasionally raiding cars for cash on their way to the nearby railway station heading into town.

Maybe it's a new phenomenon- Car poltergeists!

FutTheShuckUp Mon 20-Jan-14 22:07:43

Was it on here someone posted about finding someone sitting up in the boot of their car? Did I dream this?

topknob Mon 20-Jan-14 22:02:12

a 10 year old Audi is easy to break into, not hard at all.

babybarrister Mon 20-Jan-14 21:53:26

whoever it is is not a Huey Lewis fan ...grin

lastnightIwenttoManderley Mon 20-Jan-14 21:37:06

Agh! Phone fail. Try again...

First time might be accidental if was just unlocked but boot open. Our car has a stupid button to pop the boot. Annoyingly, if you accidentally push it it will open the boot and not tell you. Then when you come to lock it, it makes a noise as if locking realises the boots "open' and immediately unlocks.

Other two though, baffling! Maybe it's same as others mention but someone else is accidentally getting in your car and only realising when they rummage through all CDs and can't find their Prefab Sprout album?

lastnightIwenttoManderley Mon 20-Jan-14 21:29:36

First time might be accidental if was just unlocked but boot open. Our car has a stupid button

lastnightIwenttoManderley Mon 20-Jan-14 21:28:59

First time might be accidental if was just unlocked but boot open. Our car has a stupid button to pop the boot. Annoyingly, if you accidentally pusg

lastnightIwenttoManderley Mon 20-Jan-14 21:28:59

First time might be accidental if was just unlocked but boot open. Our car has a stupid button to pop the boot. An

MrsJK Mon 20-Jan-14 20:54:07

Intrigued shock

Longdistance Mon 20-Jan-14 20:50:23

Someone broke into my Astra a few years back, I thought, what the hell did they take? They took my VIN plate from my engine. Have a look under your bonnet, and see if it's still there.

EnianShelZman Mon 20-Jan-14 20:42:39

playing, not planting! stupid phone

EnianShelZman Mon 20-Jan-14 20:41:35

I mean new, not brew

EnianShelZman Mon 20-Jan-14 20:41:05

Babybbarrister, the exact same thing happen to me! Somebody was breaking into my car every month or so for 6 months. They'll move things, open glove compartment and spread paperwork over the seats. The cash and the brew sat nav were left untouched but once they took a sponge and returned it during the next break in. I thought my husband or kids were planting tricks, but after every break in the indicators that light up when the door is open strayed on for the rest of the morning, so there was obviously something going on with the car's electronics.

babybarrister Mon 20-Jan-14 19:41:45

It is a 10 year old pranged Audi so not high up on anyone's list I would not have thought ....

first time - OK DH MAY have left it open but I doubt it - came back to car and all doors undone and boot actually open [albeit it looked shut as boot door down IYSWIM]

second time CDs all over front seats

third time found stuff from back seat on pavement

oh well, watch this space grin

babybarrister Mon 20-Jan-14 19:37:30

I am not involved in anything contraversial at all I promise! Maybe they are just morons or it is different people?

ISeeYouShiverWithAntici Mon 20-Jan-14 19:09:21

Someone using it as a cosy place to shag? grin

ShatnersBassoon Mon 20-Jan-14 19:02:05

Ooh, sounds like the start of a BBC spy drama. Are you involved in anything controversial at work? grin

babybarrister Mon 20-Jan-14 18:56:59

Audi. Yes definitely broken into as back door open (when DS had not been incar) or CDs all over seats etc

LittleBearPad Mon 20-Jan-14 15:24:58

If nothing's been taken how do you know it isn't the lock not working properly.

HenriettaPie Mon 20-Jan-14 15:14:14

How do you know it's been broken into?

BrianTheMole Mon 20-Jan-14 15:02:26

frozen grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now