Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

School reading out names of children who have not paid for trips again?

(74 Posts)
moldingsunbeams Mon 20-Jan-14 09:39:49

AIBU to really dislike this?
On Friday they read out the names of the children who had not paid for a school trip. It is a day trip in school time tying in with some work they have done.
Children are upper primary.

ProudAS Mon 20-Jan-14 09:43:30

It's not on - why do the other children need to know who hasn't paid? DCs can't be excluded from an educational visit in school time for that reason.

ProudAS Mon 20-Jan-14 09:45:11

It's not on - why do the other children need to know who hasn't paid? DCs can't be excluded from an educational visit in school time for that reason.

ProudAS Mon 20-Jan-14 09:45:12

NigellasDealer Greece Mon 20-Jan-14 09:47:46

was it you who mentioned this before?
I would make a strong complaint to the headteacher and cc it to the governers tbh., it is just not acceptable practice.

Finabhear Mon 20-Jan-14 09:47:51

Not on at all.

This happened to DS1, but in his case they told him in front of the whole class that he had lost his place because everyone else had paid early - this was two weeks before the final date for payment for this trip hmm He is in year nine. The school got a very snotty letter from me and sorted it all out very quickly. They apologised to him but not to me.

DrankSangriaInThePark Spain Mon 20-Jan-14 09:51:15

Well it depends. Have the people who haven't paid simply forgotten to pay?

Maybe the teacher thought she/he would get the money quicker if she just told the kids to remind their parents rather than having a letter typed up and sent out?

Or would people who had forgotten to pay be offended at that as well?

I strongly doubt the teacher stood up and said "A, B and C are too poor to go on the school trip ha ha ha". hmm

WooWooOwl Iran Mon 20-Jan-14 09:51:26

I think it depends how it's done.

If it's just a general reminder to those children done in a way that is just to remind them to ask their parents, I don't see the problem.

If it's done in an accusatory way that implies those children are running the risk of ruining the trip for the whole class, then clearly that's wrong.

I forgot to pay for a trip on time once, as had a couple of other parents. Ds came home saying that he needed to take in his permission slip, which he did the next day, and it was a non issue. He wasn't upset, nor did he have any reason to be because his teacher was a nice person who just realised that parents can sometimes be forgetful and need a reminder.

moldingsunbeams Mon 20-Jan-14 09:51:51

Yes its happened before Nigella with last years teacher, I mentioned it on my writing exam scores on the board thread and I did express my annoyance at the time to them.

NigellasDealer Greece Mon 20-Jan-14 09:53:49

oh yes I remember; this school sounds a bit ....'old fashioned' - if I were you I would kick up a stink about both of these issues.

As it is unlikely to be the children's fault that they haven't paid, I don't understand what is to be gained by naming them except to potentially upset some of them.

HappyMummyOfOne Mon 20-Jan-14 09:55:26

How else are they supposed to remind people? Lots mislay slips or forget to send in until the last moment. Those having financial troubles surely have already spoken to the school and agreed a payment plan so the teacher would be aware.

Callani Mon 20-Jan-14 09:56:17

Not only do I think it's wrong, I also can't imagine that it's particularly effective on primary school children. I was AWFUL at remembering anything at that age and certainly wouldn't have passed on messages - and I definitely wouldn't have done if I had the slightest inkling that the reason my parents hadn't paid was because they didn't have the money...

moldingsunbeams Mon 20-Jan-14 09:56:37

No I don't think it was done in that way drank of course.

Last year the comment was somewhere along the lines of if not enough pay we cannot go and then names were read out of those who had not paid. (of course only repeating what dd said but she has sen and echoes word for word most of the time)

This time I am not sure other than dd told me they read names out again and then relayed to me the children who had not paid.

ProudAS Mon 20-Jan-14 09:59:15

Reminding children about slips (which will probably come with voluntary contributions) is fine.

Telling whole class that x,y and z have not paid and that nobody can go for that reason isn't on.

QOFE Mon 20-Jan-14 09:59:34

DD's school do this. She came recently telling me that her teacher had asked her and a couple of other children, in front of the whole class, why their parents hadn't paid the full instalments for the residential trip they are going on in May.

DD's teacher should know damn well that DD and the other children are on FSM and therefore have been allocated funding to help with the cost of the trip. Which DD herself hadn't been told because I didn't want to worry her with our financial difficulties angry

scaevola Mon 20-Jan-14 09:59:40

It's wrong and potentially against the law.

A general reminder to pay is one thing. Treating any individual,child differently because of parents' ability to pay isn't allowed. And I think naming them in front of other children does this and is unfair pressure.

If the school needs to chase up parents who haven't paid (to ascertain if they have just forgotten or are having difficulties paying) then that is fair enough. But it should be in private.

Children cannot be excluded from curriculum trips because of inability to pay (though trips can be cancelled if the are insufficient numbers who pay, as paying parents cannot be asked to pay more to cover shortfall, and the difference cannot be covered from other funds).

QOFE Mon 20-Jan-14 10:00:36

That wasn't a first instance either. The teacher has done the same over the 'voluntary' coach contributions more than once in the past.

moldingsunbeams Mon 20-Jan-14 10:00:46

School has a text system, the reminder could have been sent via that or by a quick note home to all children with details for times and then reminder on bottom for payment?

DrankSangriaInThePark Spain Mon 20-Jan-14 10:00:55

Ah, but I am that mother who always forgets. So dd (who of course really wants to go on the trip) is forever coming home and saying "oi, you still haven't paid the teacher!" so I get my finger out.

And that seems fairly logical and comprehensible. Things need to be booked, and buses cost a certain amount if there are 10 kids or 29 kids on them. So it's fine IMO to say, if not enough people pay then we can't go.

QOFE Mon 20-Jan-14 10:02:08

HappyMummyOfOne - they could do what they usually do about reminders and use the Parent Text service? Or ask the parents concerned in private?

OpalQuartz Mon 20-Jan-14 10:02:14

If she is reading the names of people who have returned the permission form but just not paid then that is bad. If it is people who have neither returned the form nor paid, then it is ok.

soverylucky Mon 20-Jan-14 10:02:42

I would suspect that the names of children who can't pay are already available to the teacher and the list of names that are read out is a reminder to those who will pay. Unless you know for certain then I would reserve judgement. I also think that primary schools actually don't care about this and don't keep a mental note of which of their mates has paid and who hasn't. They would probably also assume their mate had forgotten rather than anything to do with the family finances.

DrankSangriaInThePark Spain Mon 20-Jan-14 10:02:50

I think your case is different QOFE, because that sounds clearly like the teacher is being at best dim-witted and at worst a bit of an arse about it.

moldingsunbeams Mon 20-Jan-14 10:11:07

Oh I get that Drank, the trip is either a take everyone on take no one trip so no issues with how many on the coach, its either all of them or none of them.

I have no issue with if not enough pay we cannot go.

I just do not like the actual naming of the kids, I know two of the kids dd named are on a very low income and another one has just started a new job after no pay since November so they are people struggling to pay rather than forgetting. I had not paid dds because I was waiting to get paid from work.
DD has been coming home daily last week asking if I had paid and getting upset when I had not yet.

You have to return the permission slip with payment so there won't be people who have returned slip but not paid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now