to think the plot development in Death in Paradise is utter pants [TITLE EDITED BY MNHQ: SPOILERS IN THREAD!]

(129 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

jessisinthegarden Tue 14-Jan-14 22:15:16

I mean WTF was that all about?
I spent days looking forward to series 2 and then he's stabbed with a bloody ice pick!
Spent almost the entire episode hoping and willing it all to be a big wind-up...expecting him to walk in any minute saying "Ah, got you there".
Rubbish storyline too.
What a crock of shite - won't be watching it again.
Love the other actors as I do, it can't be the same without Richard sad

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 15-Jan-14 09:50:32

Hello

We've edited the title to remove the spoiler.

LineRunner Wed 15-Jan-14 09:56:10

Victory for the moles.

specialsubject Wed 15-Jan-14 10:01:45

the trailer stuffed it up, the BBC have been idiots. It is possible to avoid finding out what happens with careful internet use (fortunately I didn't see this thread earlier, not very smart OP) but if the trailer gives away the plot there's no hope.

awaiting more episodes, but think they'd painted themselves into a corner with Richard Poole anyway.

RenterNomad Wed 15-Jan-14 10:07:02

Thank goodness the title has been edited!

And I stand by my "inconsiderate lout" comment. The title was just too bloody detailed, and all the arguments about how BM's departure had been "heavily trailed" are just totally disingenuous, in a society of catch-up television (and sales of series rights abroad - poor Australians!).

NewBlueCoat Wed 15-Jan-14 10:18:16

Blimey, there's more than a few overreactions on this thread.

I don't watch tv much (truly - only turn it on if there's something definite I want ot watch, eg Sherlock. no browsing through channels, or seeing 'if there's anything on' etc) and don'tread newspapers/magazines/tv guides.

and even I have managed to see the BBC trailer for this at least 4 times, where it was made clear that something untoward happened to Richard.

It's just a tv series, fgs. and the plotline was hardly secret.

LadyBeagleEyes Wed 15-Jan-14 10:22:19

Crap Renter, once a programme has been broadcast it's not a spoiler. Would this mean we could never discuss a programme ever the following day.
How long would we have to wait for the Aussies to catch up?
Ridiculous and inconsiderate lout is a very nasty remark.

jessisinthegarden Wed 15-Jan-14 10:39:12

Thank you ladybeagleeyes and the others who have been kind.
I have never posted on a thread like this before and since I posted AFTEr the program had aired, I didn't think it would be a problem at all.
Besides, although I didn't see any previews, the previews had already given it away for many to start with.
The problem with Mumsnet is that there are some vicious and nasty people using it, like some of you have demonstrated in the past 24 hours, willing to spend your free time lynching newcomers.
Doesn't say much about you as posters or people and doesn't encourage anyone new to make a post.
I suppose it hasn't even occurred to the nastier ones amongst you, with nothing better to do than bitch, that a person may have made a post genuinely and without any intent to spoil anything for anyone.
Plus, at the end of the day, we are talking about a TV program here - not exactly a matter of life or death.
Perhaps the judge pants amongst you ought to put this in perspective and get a life?
Just a thought.

And I am disappointed that MNHQ felt is reasonable to bow to pressure from the nasties and change the title.
Bit late too.

I think I'll leave this sort of forum to the hysterical harpies who seem to populate it. Go boil your heads grin

Sparklingbrook Wed 15-Jan-14 10:45:21

Oh don't leave jess not over a TV programme anyway. Some of us aren't hysterical. Well we are but in a good way. grin

LadyBeagleEyes Wed 15-Jan-14 10:51:18

You really have had a hard time on this thread Op, but don't leave because of a few twats.
There's a huge mixture of the nice and the nasty on here, but most people are pleasant.
Horrible to get such a flaming on such a lighthearted thread.

LineRunner Wed 15-Jan-14 10:51:48

I can't help living amongst the mole people.

Sparklingbrook Wed 15-Jan-14 10:54:56

Poor Line. sad I am sure mole people are lovely though.

FairPhyllis Wed 15-Jan-14 10:55:11

YABU to object to Richard being deaded. The actor found it too hard to spend 5 months filming away from his children (the RT interview said he is a NRP for one of them, so it wasn't like he could just pick them all up and move to Guadeloupe together). At least they gave him a good send off.

You would not BU however to object to the ridiculousness of the show in general. The most famous guest star is ALWAYS the one who did it.

And St Marie must have a murder rate worse than that of the county of Midsomer.

LineRunner Wed 15-Jan-14 11:03:50

Hi OP, if you start a discussion thread in Telly Addicts you'll get a fun and witty discussion, and they are always enjoyable, truly.

The form over there is not to put spoilers in an actual thread title but to give it a kind of jaunty heading flagging up the programme title.

Sorry this was your first venture into AIBU and it went tits up.

I am too scared to start threads in AIBU.

wintera Wed 15-Jan-14 12:40:29

I have never watched it before in my life and even I knew he was being killed off. Its been everywhere! Radio, tv, magazines. I watched it for the first time last night just because I wanted to see how they would handle killing off the main guy, I was intrigued. I thought it was good in a daft kind of a way and will probably watch it again now.

RenterNomad Wed 15-Jan-14 13:11:03

I've been flamed in AIBU, and I haven't cried over it.

It is rude and inconsiderate to spoil plots for people, and complaints that the programme had been aired just won't wash as a justification. Loads if your first responses were from people who had "videoed" it for later, because rhe MN demographic - however time-rich it must look (posting crap for hours a day, getting drunk online grin) - is also disproportionately likrly to time-shift things, and consume media in other ways. I hadn't even known Death in Paradise was on until I saw the thread title and all the spoilers, and from the reaction on this thread, I'm not exactly alone.

Don't strop about the reaction, even if you and some others do think it was an overreaction. We are sll prone to getting the wrong idea, and getting the wrong tone, especislly in an internet forum, but, equally, I've seen some very graceful apologies on MN. Yours wasn't. Mine might not be, either, but I would like to apologise for the "lout" part of my first comment.

OvO Wed 15-Jan-14 13:19:21

I apologise for my pompous assertion that you'd done this deliberately.

I know you didn't, it was twatty of me to accuse you of it.

I stand by all my other comments still.

tethersend Wed 15-Jan-14 13:28:51

If I were the OP, I'd be tempted to post whodunnit grin

LadyBeagleEyes Wed 15-Jan-14 13:37:07

With the flaming she's had she probably feels she has tethers.

LadyBeagleEyes Wed 15-Jan-14 13:49:12

And renter, I have it taped but if I was to find out the ending to a programme that HAS BEEN BROADCAST I would just shrug my shoulders, where do you draw the line about programmes we've watched time wise before they can be talked about?
A day? A month? Till the Aussies have seen it? Or just never ever talk about them at all?

OvO Wed 15-Jan-14 13:54:02

Lady, people have been very clear that there's no issue with people talking about it immediately but just don't stick the details in the thread title.

I wasn't able to watch Sherlock as it aired so didn't click on the MN threads that had Sherlock in the titles. I knew people were going to talk about it the second it was finished but they kindly kept any details out of the title.

LedareAnsley Wed 15-Jan-14 13:56:27

Poor OP. Mind you, I've seen someone toasted on here for posting a "spoiler" about the end of The Great Gatsby grin

JingleJoo Wed 15-Jan-14 14:06:02

1. BBC repeatedly put spoiler 'out there' prior to programme.
2. At least 2 TV mags had a full article on it.
3. He is murdered in the first minute, before the opening credits have even rolled.

Not exactly the worlds best kept secret, and in no way spoils viewing IMO. Some people are PO, and need to get a grip.

I didn't think it was pants at all. I was really nervous because I have a whopping crush on Ben Miller, but actually I though Kris did a really good job.

VERY SMALL SPOILER ABOUT A TINY UNIMPORTANT BIT OF THE PROGRAMME COMING UP...

I loved his speech on the beach to the police woman where he said 'let's just see if I'm a good detective and then you can decide whether you like me as a person after we've solved the case'. I thought that was a message directly to us, the viewers, and it made me feel much better.

And I decided I did like him smile

SparklingMuppet Wed 15-Jan-14 14:41:09

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

LadyBeagleEyes Wed 15-Jan-14 14:49:49

Nice SparklingMuppet hmm. Why do people feel the need to be so bitchy?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now