to want to view a house more than once before putting in an offer?

(131 Posts)
ohhifruit Tue 14-Jan-14 22:14:14

We've viewed a few places and 3 of them have been potentials.

1. Viewed 3 times before deciding it wasn't quite right for us. We were very close to putting in a bid but the work required would have been too much. The EA seemed to think 3 times was excessive but I did not think it was outlandish when spending thousands upon thousands of pounds.

2. We're booked into see a house for the second time this weekend with a builder friend so he can tell us what kind of work he thinks would be possible. When I spoke to the EA he said "a second viewing, do you think you'll be making an offer?" as if viewing a place we could potentially live in for more than 5 minutes was totally unreasonable unless we were 100% sure we'd put in an offer.

3. Viewed a house about 6 months ago and the vendors said our second viewing could only be for 5 minutes. I felt like Anneka Rice. The first viewing hardly took 10 minutes so it's not like the last time we were in there watching Panorama and eating their cheese and motherbanging crackers.

I'm half imaging viewing retirement properties in my 70s by merely opening the letterbox and having a good sniff.

How many times did you view your house before you put in an offer?
How many times is unreasonable? 2, 3, 4, 9, 67?

Bowlersarm Tue 14-Jan-14 22:34:13

Meant to say, I think twice is fine. Three times is just about acceptable. I probably would say no to a fourth viewing.

steppemum Tue 14-Jan-14 22:36:06

twice, and we had a surveyor friend go and check on an issue between viewings.
House had been on the market for a while and we didn't think anyone else was beating the door down, so no rush to put in an offer.

Second view I took my mum. Vendor was very jittery ''why do they want to see it again??'' So I said I was taking my mum and just wanted to be sure.

steppemum Tue 14-Jan-14 22:36:40

we spent ages looking round first time, and vendors were out, so good way to view.

Katz Tue 14-Jan-14 22:37:28

The house were currently in three times I think. First was an open house, then we made a private viewing appointment and then the third time we came back with my brother because he wanted a nose at our new house before he bogged off to Oz for 12 months. I think we went back in twice after that before it was officially ours to measure up and see which curtains would fit.

When we sold most people had a second viewing and one person came for a third, but I'm sure she only came back for a third to show how much she wanted it. We went to sealed bids and it went to the highest bidder.

ohhifruit Tue 14-Jan-14 22:39:06

MidniteScribbler We have only viewed one house 3 times. The one from 6 months ago we didn't go through with a second viewing because they changed the price in the mean time.

I can understand why EAs would be occasionally wary because they must get time wasters viewing houses for sport however we viewed 1 house 3 times and declines to offer because it wasn't right despite us being 95% sure it was.

We're not time wasters but we are FTB who just want to spend more that 15 minutes (total) inside a house before they stump up the money.

noviceoftheday Tue 14-Jan-14 22:40:52

Once! Current house we saw it once put in offer and didn't see it again till the day we moved in!

LittleBearPad Tue 14-Jan-14 22:41:30

Twice. EA wouldn't let us put in an offer that day. He said we had to sleep on it! Saw it a second time and made an offer then.

LittleBearPad Tue 14-Jan-14 22:41:55

This was in London too. Not all EAs are arses

Preciousbane Tue 14-Jan-14 22:46:23

I have just put an offer in having viewed once, we are going back for a second viewing now offer is accepted with our DS . We did the same with the house we are in and we were in it for 14 years. Well DS didn't get a viewing as he didn't exist 14 years ago.

It is round the corner from us and I have now walked past that house and also on to the estate it backs on to every day for last four days at different times and have just driven past at nine this evening and my friend who is a dog walker has walked her dogs down there for a nosey. I Have also checked local crime stats.

MrsSteptoe Tue 14-Jan-14 22:47:40

Twice before making an offer. If it was a house, rather than a flat, I would feel apologetic about a third viewing, but I'd do it if I felt it was necessary. If it still didn't feel 100% right after a third viewing, it's either not right, or I haven't worked out what I want yet.

DH went twice (first alone and second with me). I went once. We've bought at auction on a single block viewing by the auctioneer.

But DH develops property so we know what we are looking for and how much work we are prepared to do. We have viewed a lot of property.

It's worth making sure you know the area and go around at different times of day to check the area for things like traffic and noise.

BackforGood Tue 14-Jan-14 22:59:25

They say most people make their minds up within the first 30seconds, tbh, so 3 times does seem excessive.

For me - first property - once
2nd property - once
3rd property - we did go back for a second poke around as it's a very old house and it was way above what we'd wanted to spend, but in truth we knew it was the one within 5mins of stepping inside.

I'm not sure what you'd see in a 3rd viewing that you wouldn't see in a 2nd, although I can see that a 2nd would be valuable.

We only viewed our current one once, but it is a modern house, so there isn't much to do other than cosmetic things (like a new kitchen, which we knew we would want from our first viewing because the old one is horrible). We had looked at about 12 houses before this one. One of them we had two viewings, but that was because we were undecided due to the unusual layout and we couldn't quite get the feel of the layout from just looking at floor plans. If there are considerable works to be done or structural issues, you might be reasonable to take someone along for a second viewing to give an estimate of costs to take into account when you make an offer.

In the end, you either want the house or don't. People seem to spend ages looking at trivial details of houses - like are the sockets in the right places. You need to think about what genuinely matters to you and ignore the trivial because you won't find a house that ticks all of the minor boxes.

You also need to think about how desperate you are to buy and what supply is like in your area. When we viewed our houses initially we were interested in finding the "right" house. This went on for a couple of years. By the time we found our current house, we had a 3 month old DD and were ready to compromise more. With the benefit of hindsight, if we had been in the compromise zone earlier, we would probably have bought sooner - 2 or 3 of the 12 would have been acceptable. I'm not sorry that we waited, but if you are in a rising market then you may well get less than you initially intended due to waiting.

Once. Looked around for 20 mins and put in an offer half an hour later. I think 2 is perfectly reasonable though.

splasheeny Tue 14-Jan-14 23:13:51

Once, then offer on the spot.

In today's market if you wait then the good properties will be snatched up.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

plecofjustice Tue 14-Jan-14 23:15:46

Once - it's London. Go back for a second viewing and you've lost it

WhenWhyWhere Tue 14-Jan-14 23:19:27

4 times. It was really difficult getting access as there were tenants in the house but there was no way I way going to spend a kazillion pounds and not be certain of what we were doing. The EA knew we were serious and were very accommodating.

I'd walk away rather than be rushed into a purchase.

CleverClod Tue 14-Jan-14 23:35:09

I'd walk away if the sellers were jittery/ wouldn't allow me to visit more than twice.

Why not?

What were they hoping I wouldn't see?

If I'm going yo spend £2/3/400,000 then damn right I want to see it as many times as it takes.

3 is not too much.

SilverOldie Tue 14-Jan-14 23:46:14

Once. As soon as I walked in I knew I wanted to buy it and gave the EA my offer when we got in the car outside.

BackforGood Tue 14-Jan-14 23:46:51

I think it's about how much effort it is to get your house looking spick and span for a viewing, when you are actually living there too. Yes - view in the first place, fine to come back then (maybe with a friend or relative as another pair of eyes) and yes, at that point poke around all you want and ask whatever questions you want, but it does become time wasting if you then start asking for 3rd viewings, IMO.

Once- we knew the area (it's a very quiet road so no traffic)
This was 23 years ago when the market was a bit meh and interest rates IIRC 18% shock

Once, both times I have bought a place. The EA thinks you are time-wasters or really indecisive.

drbonnieblossman Tue 14-Jan-14 23:57:57

so people spend longer doing their food shop than viewing a house with the intention of spending a few hundred thousand? and I thought I did strange things.

op, yanbu.

willyoulistentome Tue 14-Jan-14 23:59:20

Twice at very least.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now