Webchat with Green Party leader Natalie Bennett, Wednesday at 1pm x

to think Hogwarts could have taken squibs?

(82 Posts)
PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Tue 14-Jan-14 21:58:48

I was thinking about this, and surely they could take the majority of classes there? Ok, not Charms or Transfiguration, but presumably Potions, History of Magic, Care of Magical Creatures, Herbology, Ancient Runes and Astronomy could be done, maybe with some minor adjustments?

It doesn't seem like adult wizards do magic all the time either, and a lot the 'everyday' magic they use, they don't actually cast themselves (floo powder for example). I don't think you have to be magic to ride a broomstick either.

So surely they should at least have the chance to go to Hogwarts (and follow a slightly altered curriculum) rather than have to integrate into the Muggle community?

peeveddoesntcoverit Tue 14-Jan-14 22:03:08

Or couldn't another wizard have cast a spell and given the Squib powers?

RenterNomad Tue 14-Jan-14 22:03:52

I think Hogwarts might have been rather dangerous for Squibs. Look at all the shit that was dumped on Argus Filch!

GoldiChops Tue 14-Jan-14 22:04:24

What, and risk a sqib ending up in slytherin? My father shall hear about this!

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 14-Jan-14 22:05:09

Yabu

You had to have powers to attend the school.

BatmanLovesRobins Tue 14-Jan-14 22:06:36

Interesting point!

I don't think they could have done Potions, because if you go on Pottermore there's a certain amount of wand waving involved.

The rest though, you're right - as you say, a few adjustments and they could do it. A lot of things seem to only require you to be a wand carrier (Apparition, for example).

It's probably pure bloods high up in the Ministry that force Squibs out of magical society conspiracy

SunnyPath Tue 14-Jan-14 22:07:37

I always wondered how they learnt ordinary stuff such as maths and science. I guess they didn't, but surely that left a big gap in their knowledge. Or am I taking this too seriously...?

Dromedary Tue 14-Jan-14 22:09:18

I don't think the magic stuff would work for a non wizard - I don't think a muggle or squib could use a broomstick or a wand.
And where would it end? You'd end up with masses of squibs taking over a school which is geared towards high level wizarding skills!
Do feel sorry for the squibs though, very sad.

BatmanLovesRobins Tue 14-Jan-14 22:15:21

But shouldn't Hogwarts be providing differentiation for the varying ability levels? I bet Dumbledore was conscious of Magical School League tables.

Euphemia Tue 14-Jan-14 22:15:31

I don't understand why any Muggle parents would send their child there.

A letter arrives out of the blue on the kid's 11th birthday and you just go "Oh, Hermione, it would appear that you are endowed with magical powers. Off you go to this boarding school hundreds of miles away which we've never heard of, let alone visited or read its inspection report. No problem."

hmm

RenterNomad Tue 14-Jan-14 22:17:22

<soothes>

Squibs were very rare, though; Muggle borns far more common.

happygirl87 Tue 14-Jan-14 22:18:10

It was interesting there were no squibs who were really positive characters. Imagine if a Weasley sibling had been one....

RenterNomad Tue 14-Jan-14 22:19:10

Fancy having to Home Ed all those Weasleys till they could be shipped out at 11! shock

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Tue 14-Jan-14 22:19:23

I would have said Potions was very like Chemistry - do the right steps in the right order and you'll get the result, it's just you're using unicorn hair and dragon's blood rather than ethers and epoxides.

The other thing is squibs up to the age of 17 aren't that much different to magical siblings are they, none of them can do magic in the 'real world'.

It seems like squibs are more marginalised than Muggles who marry in to wizarding families, even though squibs would understand the culture better,

RenterNomad Tue 14-Jan-14 22:21:13

Mrs Figgs was a Squib, and only pretended to be so weird so Harry woildn't enjiy staying eith her, and the Dursleys would let her look after him. I think that rather noble.

Hassled Tue 14-Jan-14 22:21:29

Dumbledore wouldn't have been conscious of Magical School League tables because there weren't any other Magical Schools, were there? It's like an academy gone rogue. They can do what the hell they like.

RenterNomad Tue 14-Jan-14 22:23:05

Durmstrang
Beauxbatons

Skrifa Tue 14-Jan-14 22:23:22

I feel sorry for Squibs. And also, at Hogwarts, do they suddenly abandon Maths, Biology, etc;?

RenterNomad Tue 14-Jan-14 22:26:30

Arithmancy, Herbology, Care of Magical Creatures?

Sorry for terseness: phone about to die and I'm bored while feeding, so want to keep posting!

IAmNotAPrincessIAmAKaleesi Tue 14-Jan-14 22:26:59

Ergh imagine having to mix with filthy squibs

<squibophobe>
<or is it squibablilist>
<either way they shouldn't be around taking our potions and stealing our witches>

BelleOfTheBorstal Tue 14-Jan-14 22:27:19

I didn't think much of their PHSE or RE curriculum either.
Surely these are subjects that should be taught regardless of the main focus of the school?

TheRaniOfYawn Tue 14-Jan-14 22:28:51

I think that a lot of the subjects such as potions and arithmancy require magical ability even if you don't use a wand in class. That would leave history of magic, most of care of magical creatures, and possibly astrology as subjects which isn't a lot. If I were the patent of a squib I would rather they got a good muggle education with the possibility of integrating into the muggle world while making sure they kept their cultural ties with the magical world.

Rubybrazilianwax Tue 14-Jan-14 22:31:08

Yes I for one would like to read Hogwarts inclusion and diversity policy.

Euphemia Tue 14-Jan-14 22:33:22

Not much variety in the PE curriculum either!

steff13 Tue 14-Jan-14 22:38:32

I wonder if any wizards would send their kids to muggle schools until they are of age to attend Hogwarts? That's what muggle-borns would do, because they would not have known anything else, but wizard children still have to learn reading, writing, math, etc. Either parents have to teach them at home, or they would have to be schooled elsewhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now