Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to expect a vacuum cleaner to actually suck things out of the carpet so that the carpet is cleaner after I vacuum?

(17 Posts)
matildamatilda Tue 14-Jan-14 20:23:33

I am in a rage spiral over my stupid dumb Vax which I bought five years ago.

Just using it upright is useless. I get down and use the hand-held nozzle over the whole floor but even then I have to use my fingers to pick clumps of hair out of the carpet.

There are two cats in the household and two adults. Everyone has a lot of hair. I seriously have to vacuum every other day for the house to look normal. It's an ordeal of kneeling, picking, running the nozzle over and over the hairiest places.

I dread buying another vacuum cleaner and have it be similarly useless.

Please tell me there are vacuum cleaners that actually work?

SPsMrLoverManSHABBA Tue 14-Jan-14 20:25:09

I have a genie. I'm happy.

My VAX set on fire randomly while using it. It was 2 years old

TwinkleSparkleBling Tue 14-Jan-14 20:27:15

Have you stripped it down and unblocked any tubes, holes etc?

I only ask as DH has just spent a satisfying 30 minutes just doing this. Using a kebab skewer no less. He got no end of rubbish out peppa pig sticker, kernel of popcorn, wrapping paper

It's now sucking like new grin

RoseRedder Tue 14-Jan-14 20:27:41

I got this one www.amazon.co.uk/Hoover-Spirit-SP2102-Upright-Cleaner/dp/B009LH0M24/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1389731162&sr=8-4&keywords=hoover+pet

Had it about 8 months and no problems and it is powerful

I was averaging a hoover ever 12 months

MrsPennyapple Tue 14-Jan-14 20:29:18

I was getting fed up of my Dyson until DH cleaned the filter. After that, it sucked so hard I could hardly move the damn thing.

For maximum hair removal, put a rubber glove on and brush the hair up with your hand. It's both gruesome and satisfying, AND your carpet will look super clean afterwards.

ArgumentsatChristmas Tue 14-Jan-14 20:29:29

Sounds like it needs unblocking.

Ragwort Tue 14-Jan-14 20:29:34

I have three vacuums - a Vax, a Miele and a posh one that I can't remember the name of grin - none of them work that well and it seems impossible to get them serviced these days. I just want wooden floors throughout my house.

Vax are shit. That's your problem grin .

I had one until a few months ago. It blew more than it sucked and left the carpet dirtier than it was to start angry .

I splashed out on a Miele and it has quite literally changed my life. Sad but true. It's incredible.

GideonKipper Tue 14-Jan-14 20:32:14

I want a Henry but can't justify it until the Dyson dies a death. It's definitely in the autumn of its years so mightn't be too long.

Try a Henry. Works on cat hair, dog hair and dried on parrot shit.

PrimalLass Tue 14-Jan-14 20:33:32

I had a Vax - it was useless. Then it broke.

Then I got this one, which was supposedly amazing and rrp £250 (I paid £70). It hardly picks up anything from the carpet, but is ok on the hard floors.
www.amazon.co.uk/Morphy-Richards-Vorticity-Bagless-Cylinder/dp/B003922VLC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1389731460&sr=8-2&keywords=morphy+richards+vorticity

My current baby is Dyson Digital Slim, courtesy of clubcard points. Loving it so far.

CrohnicallySick Tue 14-Jan-14 20:35:49

I have a dyson animal which is good for getting the hair up, it has a special rotating carpet brush that clogs with hair every time I use it so it must be doing something right!

CatAmongThePigeons Tue 14-Jan-14 20:36:09

YANBU. I have a Vax and it is pap. My bedroom carpet is on the axis of evil and the Vax is in league with it to drive me utterly bonkers.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Tue 14-Jan-14 20:38:01

Get a Miele. I cannot tell you how bloody amazing it is.

Best vacuum I've ever owned. Bought it as it beat Dyson in the Which reviews. Worst was an actual Hoover. Terrible.

My vax is great!

I had this problem with a prrvious hoover though and like others have said it probably needa unblacoking....all the tubes should come apart and use something long to scrape dust out

SparklyTwinkleGlitter Tue 14-Jan-14 21:07:44

Definitely check your filter and clean/change, if required.

It's amazing what a difference it makes.

Punkatheart Tue 14-Jan-14 21:15:48

I have a Miele too - recommended by Which. It is fab.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now