Regarding Hen Do?

(30 Posts)
Fancyashandy Tue 14-Jan-14 15:43:13

Going to a hen weekend of a much younger soon to be bride and details are starting to emmerge. Seems there are activities planned, dressing up as schoolgirls, special t shirts being printed and starting to dread what else the MOH has planned. Don't want to be an old party pooper and be all cats bum face but this is really not my thing at all especially being about 20 yrs older than the main younger guests.

AIBU and just being an old bore and how can I get through this without lookinglike a cross between a St Trinians school girl and Baby Jane - basically looking like a sad old git!

rookiemater Tue 14-Jan-14 20:32:15

Sorry I didn't mean the ladies looked hideous I meant the event.

matildamatilda Tue 14-Jan-14 21:17:28

DON'T GO!

I had misgivings similar to yours before a hen do. I went, and tried to play along, it was embarrassing. I actually had to demur from an "activity" because I just couldn't bear the thought of playing a game like that in a semi-public place. And I was the same age as everyone there. I can be as raunchy as anyone else but only with close friends and certainly not out and about.

It's much more awkward to be there and sort of opting out--like you'll be the only one not dressing up or you'll just sit there whilst the "activities" happen?

Just don't go! Send a nice gift and tell them to have fun.

Fancyashandy Tue 14-Jan-14 23:26:42

Looks like the organisers are keeping it all secret which is annoying. If I'm going to give up a weekend with my family, travel hours to get there and spend a fair amont of money - then I at least want to know the itinerary and whatbis planned etc.

am definitely going and will have a great time - just don't want to bump gums with the organisers. If We know what'd planned up front then boring older nes can politely opt out rather than leave it till the day.

PeterAndresSprayTanner Wed 15-Jan-14 09:01:41

I'd wear the t-shirt to show willing, but I'd be going in jeans - no way would I be dressing up as a school girl! Why the fuck would you want to? I've always found it a bit creepy to be honest.

Don't panic about the activities; if it turns out to be something like pole dancing then a polite 'no thank you' and a nice smile would be sufficient. I'm betting there will be enough pissed people there willing to throw themselves into the breach.

Stand your ground - you can go along and there is nothing wrong with not participating in things you are uncomfortable with. It does sound like my idea of hell on earth TBH, but if you are close to the bride then you can decide if you think it's worth putting up with it.

I can't see the point of places which are so loud the walls vibrate, where there's nowhere to sit down and where you can't hear yourself think let alone have a conversation. I'd much rather go for a nice meal and get merry whilst eating good food, drinking nice wine and having a laugh with friends. I'm 35 BTW!

ipswichwitch Wed 15-Jan-14 09:09:56

Op I was going to suggest dressing up as the teacher smile
Don't think I'd be thrilled at the prospect of spending the weekend away with planned activities I haven't got a clue about til we get there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now