to cancel dds swimming lessons to pay for stage school?

(112 Posts)
smuggler Tue 14-Jan-14 15:01:22

Dd is 7 and desperate to start stage school but it's extremely expensive. She's been having swimming lessons for around a year. She's always been extremely water confident, she can swim a length of a full size pool but hasn't got the technique of the strokes quite right. She finds swimming lessons boring and isn't really progressing. I always thought I'd continue with them until she passed all stages so I could be sure she was safe around water. But if she carries on swimming I can't afford stage school. Wibu to swap the activities?

hippo123 Wed 15-Jan-14 21:52:16

op is that ASA stage 6? If so that's very good for a 7 year old who's only been having lessons for a year.

smuggler Wed 15-Jan-14 22:06:47

Yes that's ASA stage 6. I know her school friends are in stage 3 generally and have been having lessons longer (some since 6 months old...imagine how much they've spent!) but thought it was dds confidence that had gotten her to stage 6. She's just turned 7, is stage 6 good for her age then?

hippo123 Wed 15-Jan-14 22:11:46

I'm no expert but I would say it was yes. Ds is almost 7 and has just got into stage 4 having been having lessons since 4.5 years. Most of his class (year 2) are either stage 3 or 4, I think one boy is stage 5.
I would make sure I took her swimming once or twice a month and let her enjoy the stage school for now. Won't she be getting swimming lessons in school next year as well?

smuggler Wed 15-Jan-14 22:33:05

Yes she'll go swimming with school next year but I can't see her learning much then as most children are non-swimmers/some are scared of water etc. We go swimming at weekends at least once or twice per month and extra in school holidays. It's just frustrating as I also have a toddler who isn't so keen on swimming so dd never gets to swim as much as she'd like to. Pre-toddler we'd go for three hours! I wish toddler and I could watch from the side so dd could swim more but not allowed to do that until she's 8. However there's a local outside pool where she's allowed to swim alone so we use that when weather permits.

Tinkertaylor1 Wed 15-Jan-14 22:34:37

smuggler I'd your dd is in stage six and can just about do a length she has been failed badly.
Stage 1 aiming to do 5m
Stage 2 = 10 m - red hat
Stage 3 = 25m - orange
Stage 4 = 50m - yellow
Stage 5 = 100m - light blue
Stage 6 = 200m - dark blue

This is the ASA stage frame work ? What area are you in?

Tinkertaylor1 Wed 15-Jan-14 22:36:15

there will be swimmers in her class at school and the will stand out immediately . The lessons are much fuller and tbh you do t get through much.

PurpleSprout Wed 15-Jan-14 23:03:12

Your DD can swim.

I did swimming lessons for years as a kid. I'm not a natural swimmer. I can swim a mile, sure, no problem but I do not, never have had and never will have a strong enough swimming stroke to pull myself out of a problem current or get out of freezing water before it affects me.

I even tried lessons as an adult to improve (because I fancied triathlon and I'm a reasonably cyclist).

If she can swim effectively and you know how to improve her stroke, can you help he improve through family swim time and divert the lesson money to stage school?

smuggler Wed 15-Jan-14 23:05:23

Yes that's the colour hats their scheme follows. I didn't say she can just about do a length, she can swim a length easily - I've never made her swim until she could no longer swim so no idea how many she is capable of. At our leisure centre they're in the learner pool until they reach stage 5 so are definitely not swimming 50m.

smuggler Wed 15-Jan-14 23:07:14

Purple dp works a lot of weekends and I also have a toddler so teaching her myself is difficult.

WeddingComingUp Wed 15-Jan-14 23:26:30

Ds1 is 5 and in level 3. I wouldn't say he'd be able to swim 25m with no flotation devices though. He could easily do it with a handheld float, but probably not solo.

PurpleSprout Wed 15-Jan-14 23:27:44

smuggler Sorry yes, can see that. I just wondered if you felt guilty (and I'm not saying you should) about her learning, could you bolster it outwith lessons more cheaply. It may be not.

I was more thinking what do you need to be water-safe for? If it's the pool at home and on hols, supervised on the beach etc. and you think you're DD is ready then maybe she could stop lessons and do the practice at work.

If it's 'I've been unsupervised and jumped into a fast-flowing river' then, umm, don't let her? If it's once you're an adult etc. then my comment above applies, best I'm fit, I had years of swimming lessons, got all my badges as a kid and am still not a good swimmer. I can swim for hours, but irrelevant because I can't propel myself out of trouble particularly quickly despite some specific training around it (I wanted to dive / snorkel).

Tinkertaylor1 Wed 15-Jan-14 23:32:35

smuggler this is what your dd should be doing.

www.traffordleisure.co.uk/brands/swim-well/lessons-and-development/begin-well/

We all run of the Asa frame work . There is also a set of skills she would have had to do. Ask to see them if she can't do them/ hasn't been shown ask to talk to the swimming co-ordinator.
Otherwise you are wasting time and money

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now