to butter both slices of bread in a sandwich?

(110 Posts)
IsabellaMilborne Tue 14-Jan-14 14:29:11

Could you help with this debate, which arose during the frantic buttering of sandwiches for a children's party?

My Dsis thinks that you only butter one slice of bread in a sandwich; I think you need the buttery stickiness on both slices of bread, to make sure that the top slice adheres to the filling properly, and to make it tastier and less dry.

Can you help me prove that I'm being eminently reasonable here...?

Rubybrazilianwax Tue 14-Jan-14 22:34:24

Both. Times may be hard but we're not at that stage yet

MrsKoala Tue 14-Jan-14 22:41:22

I don't butter at all if the filling is with mayo - tuna or egg. I also spread Mayo on both sides of a ham or cheese sandwich. Butter would only get used (on both sides) if there was going to be chutney or pickle involved.

DH only has butter on hot bread/toast (it has to melt in) everything else is butterless.

BeautifulBlondePineapple Tue 14-Jan-14 22:57:28

I'm going to out myself to any family members here.

My father was recently tasked with making a cheese sandwich for my 2yr old DS. I asked him to butter both sides of the bread and he looked utterly confused. I then explained that the cheese would stick better if he buttered both sides.

He proceeded to butter the OUTSIDE of the sandwich as well as both the insides. And then stuck cheese to the outside too!!!

PMSL @ buttering both slices is over the top. It's butter, not crack grin

I bet you only eat one finger of a kit kat and weigh out your cereal in the morning, eh Maureen? wink

1974rach Wed 15-Jan-14 21:55:55

My long departed Nana used to leave her (white bread only) toast to go stone cold and then slather on butter - only anchor butter thank you very much - about half a centimetre thick. When she took a bite you could see the imprint of her false teeth in the butter grin

God bless all Nanas!

MamaJazzHands Thu 16-Jan-14 22:49:26

He proceeded to butter the OUTSIDE of the sandwich as well as both the insides. And then stuck cheese to the outside too!!!

grin

MrsBungle Thu 16-Jan-14 22:53:37

shock I've only ever buttered one side! I might 'clean' the knife ie spread the remnants of butter on the other side. I'd never butter both sides and my top half has never fallen off!

chateauferret Thu 16-Jan-14 23:34:38

YANBU. Our staff canteen persistently refuses to butter the other slice even when asked and today I ended up with sun-dried tomatoes In my bloody lap. Drives me round the twist.

Sharaluck Thu 16-Jan-14 23:44:49

Of course you butter both. The butter 'protects' the bread from sogginess etc

The only time you don't need to is if you have other moist fillings and you want to eat it straight away.

But for sandwiches for a party/packed lunch etc always butter both slices.

I'm a one sided butterer.

In other news.. hummus on a sandwich?? A humwich? That can't be right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now