to butter both slices of bread in a sandwich?

(110 Posts)
IsabellaMilborne Tue 14-Jan-14 14:29:11

Could you help with this debate, which arose during the frantic buttering of sandwiches for a children's party?

My Dsis thinks that you only butter one slice of bread in a sandwich; I think you need the buttery stickiness on both slices of bread, to make sure that the top slice adheres to the filling properly, and to make it tastier and less dry.

Can you help me prove that I'm being eminently reasonable here...?

newlark Tue 14-Jan-14 14:58:17

I would always put butter or something else which will hold the sandwich together on both sides- I'm not keen on butter so use mayo/mustard/houmous/pesto/pickle depending on the filling (or jam/nutella for ds!)

Lemongrab Tue 14-Jan-14 15:00:41

I would definitely say both sides as a general rule, even with sandwiches containing chutney or mayo etc.
I always butter both sides for myself and Dh, but none at all for dd's as they both hate butter in sandwiches.

starfishmummy Tue 14-Jan-14 15:03:25

Both

newyearhere Tue 14-Jan-14 15:45:22

Both sides.

pixwix Tue 14-Jan-14 15:48:01

Yep - both sides.

pixwix Tue 14-Jan-14 15:48:29

sorry - both slices!

Mim78 Tue 14-Jan-14 15:49:15

No - that is surely the standard way - butter on both sides.

I rarely butter both sides for myself as not keen on butter, but I really think both sides is traditional way.

LittleBearPad Tue 14-Jan-14 15:50:35

Both. Why wouldn't you butter both, it's not like butter is a part of the filling. It's there to stick stuff together.

Normally both sides, although I have been known to be lazy/ forget when doing sandwiches for DCs in the morning blush
When I first read the title of the thread, I thought you meant both sides of the same piece of bread [seriously dufus emoticon] and thought that you'd get greasy fingers grin

MrsOakenshield Tue 14-Jan-14 15:54:26

butter on sandwiches is disgusting. But both pieces of bread need something. I do a thin spread of mayo to help things stick, then pickle, chutney or whatever.

EasterHoliday Tue 14-Jan-14 15:56:09

good god. Only one side. THink of the arteries!
This is going to end up like "whether you wear pants to the gym" in terms of polarising opinion I suspect.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Tue 14-Jan-14 15:59:36

DH doesn't like butter, so will have mayo or - horror of horrors - a dry sandwich shock.

I only butter one slice of bread if there is going to be mayo, soft cheese etc. involved. Otherwise you are putting a double layer of fat down on one side confused.

ErrolTheDragon Tue 14-Jan-14 15:59:37

It depends on the filling. Anything moist (eg tomato or chutney) you need the butter to stop the bread going soggy. 'Spread' type fillings, no.

Buttering one slice only is odd. Why would you do that?

wobblyweebles Tue 14-Jan-14 15:59:37

butter on sandwiches is disgusting. But both pieces of bread need something. I do a thin spread of mayo to help things stick, then pickle, chutney or whatever

Mayo and chutney in one sarnie! * faints *

ErrolTheDragon Tue 14-Jan-14 16:00:42

My DD detests butter and mayo so she only has fillings like plain ham or cheese. Her weird choice.

ppeatfruit Tue 14-Jan-14 16:03:02

DM had a clever wheeze at parties ;she would mix the marmite with softened butter or whatever. And then spread on both sides of the sandwich grin

MomsStiffler Tue 14-Jan-14 16:10:25

I always used to do just one side, then my other half told me off & I've done both sides ever since!! grin

It does make the sarnies less dry....

CasperGutman Tue 14-Jan-14 16:11:54

I normally only butter one side, because I'm lazy, but I know I should be buttering both sides.* The butter's especially important if the sandwiches are to eat later (e.g. in a packed lunch for a day out) because it stops the bread going soggy if there's something moist like tomato in there.

*or neither for OH who doesn't like butter.

IsabellaMilborne Tue 14-Jan-14 16:13:38

Although there are a few outliers, I think I can show DSis this thread and claim victory at the moment.

For the record, I would definitely have butter, mayo and pickle in the same sandwich. Though would probably only go for pickle and mayo on one of the slices...

MrsOakenshield Tue 14-Jan-14 16:17:42

is that very extravagant, weebles? Or unhealthy? Or just grim? It's only a thin spread of mayo, literally enough to stop the bread being dry, and is completely drowned out by the filling.

MrsOakenshield Tue 14-Jan-14 16:19:25

I scrape the seeds out of tomatoes which really helps in stopping the sandwich going soggy. And the tomatoes never touch the bread, so there's say cheese on one side and lettuce on the other, thus adding a further protective layer.

needaholidaynow Tue 14-Jan-14 16:23:29

Ya

needaholidaynow Tue 14-Jan-14 16:25:42

YABU to even butter one side! I hate butter unless it's melted like on toast.

Bleurgh!

ChunkyPickle Tue 14-Jan-14 16:26:36

Both. Butter is for waterproofing/stickiness.

However it can be taken to far - DP's family butter everything, including burger buns and hot dogs rolls.

Huitre Tue 14-Jan-14 16:32:37

I can't believe all you butter-haters. Odd, the lot of you. And both sides, of course.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now