to not understand why so many young ladies carry handbags on the crook of their elbow.

(127 Posts)
glasgowsteven Tue 14-Jan-14 13:52:38

Huge heavy handbags....this cannot be comfortable or even good for you...

fashion victims in the real sense of the word..

My granny with her cats bum faced used to carry a bug handbag this way...

Kids these days eh...harrumph etc

Lasvegas Wed 15-Jan-14 14:20:51

i am mid 40's and always carry mine that way, how else are you to carry a bag that does not have shoulder straps. I swap it from hand to hand to even out the amount of time the left and right arm is holding it.

If you want to carry a bag on your shoulder then surely you would buy a shoulder bag.

I didn't know it was controversial.

glasgowsteven Wed 15-Jan-14 11:03:19

They will have one popeye type forearm :P

Sparklysilversequins Tue 14-Jan-14 22:24:27

Some styles of bag look good like that, certain sizes and shapes feel more comfortable that way.

Personally I like an across body messenger or satchel type bag, I like to have my hands free, can't stand shoulder bags slipping down all the time.

msvenus Tue 14-Jan-14 21:32:34

The straps arent ways long enough to go over the shoulder.

Crowler Tue 14-Jan-14 21:16:24

I think it's quite jaunty and chic on the crook of the elbow.

I don't understand why you care, incidentally.

johnworf Tue 14-Jan-14 21:14:05

Actually, did I actually say that I cared? No. grin

Bootycall Tue 14-Jan-14 21:13:48

looks messy on a shoulder I think.

what's a young lady? is that a female child or a woman in her 20s? what an old fashioned term op!

johnworf Tue 14-Jan-14 21:13:45

jassyradlett why shouldn't I care?

BellaVita Tue 14-Jan-14 21:11:02

Elbow here too.

I like a big bag, my DM couldn't understand why, then a pulled a bottle of wine out of it. grin

CaffeinatedKitten Tue 14-Jan-14 21:06:54

I don't care how you carry your bag, but please for the love of all that is handbaggy please take the damn thing off your arm/shoulder when shoving down the bus or train aisle as the next person who tries to knock my head off with theirs will find it defenestrated in short ordergrin

<has issues, and bruises>

wink

printmeanicephoto Tue 14-Jan-14 20:24:39

My DD does this elbow thing with bags! She's 6!! I nearly wet myself laughing when she does it!

Caitlin17 Tue 14-Jan-14 20:15:06

Citrus re lack of individuality, my pet hate is jeans.The most boring garment invented, worn by almost everyone. Maybe, like me you never wear jeans, but if you do, then really criticising bag carriers for not being individuals is a bit rich

Weelady77 Tue 14-Jan-14 20:07:16

Oh I love a big bag infact just bought a gorgeous new one today smile

Why would people get worked up about how people carry bags surely there's more to annoy you than that!

Caitlin17 Tue 14-Jan-14 20:01:24

There seems to be a bit of assumption from some on MN that liking shoes, bags, clothes, dressing up makes you at best shallow or at worst an evil gold digger who is marrying your son just for his money. Owning a structured handbag is probably indicative of being that type.

Magix Tue 14-Jan-14 19:58:22

I have tried this and cannot do it . It takes so much effort to keep your arm like that and hold weight on it it's so uncomfortable

Caitlin17 Tue 14-Jan-14 19:56:26

I'm a not so young lady and if it's that sort of bag that's how I'll carry it.

AngelinaCongleton Tue 14-Jan-14 19:54:16

I think it's so your hands are free to hold your phone, keys, childrens hand. The bag doesn't have long enough straps to go over your shoulder and you feel it's more secure than just at your side. I'm going to enjoy holding it like that now I know people are feeling smug and superior to me because they don't like the way I hold a bag.

SirRaymondClench Tue 14-Jan-14 19:53:16

I think it started after a show called Wags Boutique.

I can't remember women carrying bags round like that before (but that was also the start of HUGE bags)
I am guilty of carrying my bag like this too.

JassyRadlett Tue 14-Jan-14 19:49:55

John, why the hell do you even care?

For the record: hands free. Easy access to bag. Hate holding by handles, feels uncomfortable.

DontmindifIdo Tue 14-Jan-14 19:47:58

Actually, I think the op mentions young ladies doing this because it's often more noticeable on younger woman. Old/elderly woman carrying their bags like this looks perfectly normal (like the queen), I'd be more surprised to see the queen carrying a shoulder bag.

Middle aged woman smartly dressed in office wear also look like they should be carrying bags like this so it's less noticeable again.

But it's a smart /stylish way if carrying a bag, combined with being carried by someone dressed down a bit who otherwise looks like the bag they should be carrying is a more casual one, looks odd, often the formal smart bag with informal clothes stands out.

it is really only in the last 10 years or so you've seen a lot of younger woman choosing structured bags as day bags even if the majority of the time they aren't smartly dressed (when previously you'd expect this group to pick less structured bags or even backpacks or messenger bags for woman).

In the same way a backpack or messenger bag for a woman dressed in office wear would stand out and look odd, the structured bag on a young woman, however it's carried looks wrong so catches your eye, and then you notice how she's carrying it.

sykadelic15 Tue 14-Jan-14 19:45:23

Mine is crook of elbow too. Can't do the across the chest because of the boob issue, can't carry on shoulder because my boobs knock it off my shoulder when I move my arms... gets old.

Sometimes I'll hold it in my hand too.. depends on my mood and its weight.

GatoradeMeBitch Tue 14-Jan-14 19:44:09

When I was a teenager in the late 80s, early 90s carrying a handbag in the grandma fashion would have had people taking the piss wherever you went, asking if you thought you were the Queen. I think it's funny that it's the preferred way of carrying one now.

To, er, have your hands free? Like everyone has said?

johnworf Tue 14-Jan-14 19:40:30

Why not just hold the handles? Isn't that what they're for? I thought shoulder bags had longer handles to be erm, worn over the shoulder?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now