happycrimblechuckie Tue 14-Jan-14 12:07:36

www.next.co.uk/x5396s3#896099x53

Hopefully that works to a link to an outfit from next
I have it in black.

LadyVetinari Tue 14-Jan-14 13:42:37

Yes, but only with:

A) The right figure - i.e. tall, athletic, slim, with great arms;
B) A tuxedo style jacket;
C) A long statement necklace, preferable tassle-style, plus a cuff or chunky bracelet;
D) Kick-ass stilettos;
E) Heavy smoky eye make-up, sheer lipgloss, and some sort of gamine haircut or updo.

In other words, I couldn't pull it off, but only you can judge whether you'd be able to grin.

LadyVetinari Tue 14-Jan-14 13:43:14

(Yes to wearing it, that is, not to the question of whether YABU!)

QueenofallIsee Tue 14-Jan-14 13:44:13

In my opinion, evening dress has moved on a bit and you could therefore wear an elegant trouser/jumpsuit without raising eyebrows. I cannot comment on whether this is suitable without seeing the fabric/your figure etc but if I was a lucky size 8, I would go with statement bag & shoes (Charlotte Olympia is my go to), dramatic makeup and cocktail ring/earrings.

I am not a fan of Next clothes but I have been surprised on occasion when asking where an outfit is from. Am not keen on the bow myself but as you didn't ask for suitability and not my opinion on the style I will leave it at that!

DelGirl Tue 14-Jan-14 13:44:42

How do you know the op has the budget for designer dahling ffs! I think it's lovely, if only I could wear something like that.

struggling100 Tue 14-Jan-14 13:46:13

OP - what is the event? That makes a huge difference! If it is some stuffy old do full of people guffawing into their claret and taking snuff, then it might be a touch radical and modern (though these could be great reasons FOR wearing it!) If it is a trendier and more fashionable event, then it could well be perfect. I went to a very formal business meeting once with a lady who was wearing a blue jumpsuit with a lovely gold necklace. She was very pretty and she looked stunning and very professional to boot. I felt very boring in my suit.

And BOO to all those who are being snobby about Next. I got married in a sale dress from Ted Baker.

TheBookofRuth Tue 14-Jan-14 13:49:02

Ted Baker is fine. Next is office wear, not evening wear.

QueenofallIsee Tue 14-Jan-14 13:50:31

I didn't mean to sound snobby - I am just not a fan generally though as I say, have been surprised. I stand by the statement shoes though...the best the OP can stretch too as the outfit needs it in my view

QueenStromba Tue 14-Jan-14 13:50:52

I think that looks awful on the model TBH.

schokolade Tue 14-Jan-14 14:08:34

christ, do people really think it's necessary to have chunky jewellery, updos and tons of make up for evening dos? I assume your DPs will also be expected to tart themselves up like that wink

I think the suit is fine OP. It wouldn't occur to me to judge you for wearing it, and would think anyone who do was a twit.

drbonnieblossman Tue 14-Jan-14 14:12:00

it's lovely. go for it. the idea of "evening dress" being only a dress is outdated.

or you could go to frank usher and come away with a dame edna dress?

drbonnieblossman Tue 14-Jan-14 14:13:08

it's lovely. go for it. the idea of "evening dress" being only a dress is outdated.

or you could go to frank usher and come away with a dame edna dress?

traininthedistance Tue 14-Jan-14 14:14:56

Yes depends on the event as to whether "evening dress" means formal dress or cocktail dresses. I'd wear it to an evening wedding, a dinner, a gallery opening or a cocktail party; but not to a ball, a morning wedding, or a state banquet! Do you know what the men are wearing OP - black tie (or god forbid, white tie?) And what's the time of day?

WaveySky Tue 14-Jan-14 14:19:21

I think it's horrible. The front is very plain and the material doesn't sound good.

Can you get on ebay or look in coast to see if you can find a bargain?

WranglerCord Tue 14-Jan-14 14:28:22

If you think you look good in it and will feel confident then you are NBU. If you will fuss about the state of your arms, vpl, wobbly tummy/thighs or the fact that everyone else is wearing a cocktail dress then you shouldn't wear it.

fluffyraggies Tue 14-Jan-14 14:33:59

Frankly i think you would need to be very young or very lovely to pull this off.

Some women look stunning in evening trousers/evening suit. Some just don't. Not easy to put a finger on why.

IMO at the very least you need to be able to glide effortlessly on lovely thin heels, and have a good back, neck, and arms for this outfit.

Crowler Tue 14-Jan-14 14:35:48

I love pantsuits. I agree you have to be pretty thin to carry this off, with thin and toned arms.

You're going to need dramatic shoes, makeup and jewelry as has been noted.

If you wear it well, you'll be a bit like Michelle Phieffer (sp?) in Scarface.

I wore one a few years ago to my high school reunion which was dressy - it had a cross-over V plunge in the boob area which makes it way more forgiving on the arms, it creates an illusion. This one is cut in a more problematic way for less than perfect arms.

Crowler Tue 14-Jan-14 14:37:25

I do love the idea of a Bianca Jagger/YSL tuxedo suit look. Skinny (or not) trousers, super high heels, tuxedo style jacket, barely-there top underneath. With a clutch. And a matte red lip.

olidusUrsus Tue 14-Jan-14 14:42:48

Wear it. I disagree with blinging it up though - the event is formal not glam - everything will start fighting - don't let the outfit wear you! Discreet black heels, a long pendant necklace in silver or black to draw the eye down your figure pretends to know what I'm talking about

newyearhere Tue 14-Jan-14 14:45:30

Agree with MaidOfStars that it's party wear, not evening dress.

Floggingmolly Tue 14-Jan-14 14:47:28

That's not evening dress. Fine for a party; but would look tacky and ridiculous in a room full of cocktail dresses.

ChristmasCareeristBitchNigel Tue 14-Jan-14 14:48:33

If you are a size 10 or smaller with no lumps and bumps then go for it. If not, don't. They arent forgiving.

KatnipEvergreen Tue 14-Jan-14 14:50:56

I think it's cute, especially the bow. You have to be confident about your back and arms though, as people will be drawn to them. Bugger "You have to be skinny/toned". It's how you feel in it that counts.

It's the sort of thing I'd wear when I had to go to a do straight from work. Take off your jacket - you are ready!

BlingBang Tue 14-Jan-14 15:07:19

Depends on how formal the do, how slim you are and if you are confident to wear something that might be a bit different. Years ago everyone used to turn up to dos in ball gowns and go OTT. A lot of things are more relaxed now - really depends on the event and the type of folk going. I've seen some folk look awful in very expensive stuff and some look great in much cheaper stuff.

Curlyweasel Tue 14-Jan-14 15:07:28

you need to tell us how formal the event is op. if you were to wear it, i think less would be more (the bow's the star of the outfit and too much bling would make you look like a badly arranged goth Christmas tree). a pair of truly outstanding shoes and matching clutch will set it off. don't go overboard on the make-up either ... remember - whores rouges, ladies pinch... hope this helps.

Curlyweasel Tue 14-Jan-14 15:08:29

rouge obnov...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now