Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To ask MIL to wear socks?

(99 Posts)
quellehorreur Tue 14-Jan-14 11:24:20

I have namechanged for this so DH doesn't see.

MIL wears boots and shoes with bare feet. When she arrives at our house and takes off her boots I can see her feet look a bit slimy and she walks all over the carpets where the children are crawling and playing. I really hate this!

I'm going to have to say something (or get DH to as I'm a coward) but I have no idea if I'm being unreasonable and actually it is a perfectly normal thing to do?

It seems so revolting to me! Her sister does it too, she took her boots off once and she had a tissue wrapped round her toes obviously to soak up the wetness. Why not just wear socks?! Am I being unreasonable to find this unhygenic and gross? Is this a normal thing for people to do?

PrimalLass Tue 14-Jan-14 11:26:58

I can't bear wearing socks under shoes. However, if going to someone else's house I'd take a pair to put on after taking my shoes off.

Iwillneverusethisnameforpostin Tue 14-Jan-14 11:27:18

You are not going to have to say something. You may choose to say something but that's up to you. Nothing more intrinsically hygienic about socks over bare feet afaik.

chalchalchal Tue 14-Jan-14 11:29:20

How can she be slimy? Is she a snail?

TimeToPassGo Tue 14-Jan-14 11:30:06

This makes me feel like throwing up thinking about it envy Either socks or could you get her a pair of those slipper socks? Having said that her feet are probably still much cleaner than walking round with outdoor shoes on. Plus kids put all sorts in their mouths.

I do understand the ick factor though OP! <throws up again envy >

quellehorreur Tue 14-Jan-14 11:32:09

But if you wear the boots a lot with bare feet surely the sweat soaks into the boots whereas socks would prevent that, and socks get washed after one wear?

When I said 'have to', I did mean to say 'want to', but I would only say something if people on here agree that I should. I am perfectly happy to let it go if it turns out bare feet and boots is perfectly reasonable smile

quellehorreur Tue 14-Jan-14 11:34:42

chalchalchal, she is not slimy generally - just the foot area. Mainly the toes. They do dry out quite quickly, presumable because the greasiness has been absorbed by my carpets.

I'm glad I'm not the only one TimeToPassGo!

quellehorreur Tue 14-Jan-14 11:35:05

*presumably

ENormaSnob Tue 14-Jan-14 11:35:26

That would make me wince too tbh.

Gross.

DaftSkunk Tue 14-Jan-14 11:36:42

This has made me feel a bit queasy. I'm not sure what you could do as I probably wouldn't say anything, as I wouldn't want to upset her.

Sorry that's not helpful in the slightest.

CSIJanner Tue 14-Jan-14 11:37:25

Buy her slippers -jobs done

quellehorreur Tue 14-Jan-14 11:39:44

Good idea about the slippers. I will do that.

squoosh Tue 14-Jan-14 11:40:42

Bleurgh.

I'd want to say 'get your sweaty, slimy trotters off my shag pile' but that might be slightly abrupt.

thankfeckthereischocolate Tue 14-Jan-14 11:42:07

Go to her house instead

Iwannalaylikethisforever Tue 14-Jan-14 11:48:19

Babies don't crawl for long
I also hate socks
You are being silly

Andanotherthing123 Tue 14-Jan-14 11:49:17

I am a very relaxed, laid back person, but NO SOCKS? Why, why, why? That's so revolting I can't think about it long enough to offer any advice. YANBU.

girlywhirly Tue 14-Jan-14 11:50:03

Given the amount of dirt that gets walked in onto your carpets on the soles of shoes, you are a bit U. But if she has obviously got athletes foot I would say something because that is contagious and unreasonable on her part.

I know a few families who adopted a no outdoor shoes in the house policy to keep their new carpets clean, it was socks or slippers only. Could you get your carpets cleaned and then start that, and MIL could keep a pair of socks or slippers there for when she visits?

MomsStiffler Tue 14-Jan-14 11:50:53

YABU & being over protective I feel.

If it hasn't "infected" or "upset" your kids by now it never will....

quellehorreur Tue 14-Jan-14 12:22:46

We don't wear outdoor shoes in the house, I don't like that either grin

GhostsInSnow Tue 14-Jan-14 12:31:38

You aren't supposed to wear socks with real sheepskin boots, you don't need them as the sheepskin keeps the feet warm and not sweaty, if anything wearing socks with sheepskin will make feet sweat.

notso Tue 14-Jan-14 12:32:12

You can't have your cake and eat it you know!

I was a bit hmm recently when MIL came round, she always wears flip flops if she 'pops' because shoes are too faffy apparently. Anyway she was pottering round with the kids bare foot while I made a drink. Then we sat down for a chat and preceded to tell me about her septic toe, when I looked her uncovered manky toe was dripping around the place. envy

Eww that's weird and a bit gross…I can't imagine not wearing socks with boots…high heels on a night out, ok yes but still don't like the feeling of it!
Do you all wear slippers in the house? We do in our family and my mum has a drawer of cheap slip on (freebie hotel) type slippers at her house…not so much for this issue but because she has wooden/tiled floors so it's in case guests feet get cold

Seeline Tue 14-Jan-14 12:36:54

I never wear socks in the summer, and wander round the house barefooted. I've never thought anything of it. I wear socks in the winter because shoes without socks are very uncomfortable and I get cold toes grin

pianodoodle Tue 14-Jan-14 12:39:57

I don't like the thought of it somehow with or without the baby crawling on the floor...

I probably wouldn't be brave enough to say anything though.

quellehorreur Tue 14-Jan-14 12:41:20

They aren't sheepskin, they are ordinary leather boots. I have seen them described as 'mum boots' on here before, ordinary black ones like the kind you get in Next.

I'm not worried about anything infecting the children either (she's not that bad!), it's the general revoltingness of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now