Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

AIBU to hate when people add ',no?' to the end of sentences!

(126 Posts)
HappyGirlNow Tue 14-Jan-14 08:40:17

I may well be and I'm finding it hard to articulate why I hate it but loads of posters do this and I find it exceptionally annoying! It's just not how English sentences should be structured!

Examples: 'But it's cold there this time of year, no?'
'You should have said something at the time, no?'

AIBU???

PipkinsPal Thu 16-Jan-14 17:21:31

It pisses me off immensely when I tell someone something and they reply with "is it/she/he not?" eg person "is the Manager there?" me "No, I'm sorry she's not available" person "Is she not?" me (in my mind and obviously silently) "No she's fucking not, I just told you that". angry.

LetZygonsbeZygons Thu 16-Jan-14 17:17:43

Maid grin.

YourMotherChucksRocksInHull Thu 16-Jan-14 17:17:20

YANBU!

After you posted it, I remember a comment someone on here made about the NCT once - "it's a middle class introduction agency, no?" and it has always stuck in my mind. I don't know why - I've just advanced searched it and it was made in 2009! That's a long time for it to have been remembered.

MaidOfStars Thu 16-Jan-14 17:11:54

Im half Spanish and frequently say no at the end of sentences.
Having spent my student years living and developing lifelong friendships with a crazy mix of South Americans, this is almost certainly where I've picked it up.

LetZygonsbeZygons Thu 16-Jan-14 17:10:23

Im half Spanish and frequently say no at the end of sentences.
its part of the language for me and natural.

notso Thu 16-Jan-14 16:47:13

KirstyJC DH does the "shall we go to town now or....? It infuriates me.

I hate the phrase "trying too hard" it's used an awful lot on here especially on baby names.

Callani Thu 16-Jan-14 16:31:28

If people are too lazy to say "isn't it?" I'd much rather they said "no?" than "Innit"...

NigellasDealer Thu 16-Jan-14 16:22:18

Every Jewish person I know does this actually, as in Yiddish you often end sentences with "nu?", so I guess it's just turned into "no" and passed down the generations a bit
yes like in Polish you end a sentence with 'nie'....

Abra1d Thu 16-Jan-14 16:14:00

It's my AUstralian relatives who are doing it, and none of them are of Greek origin. Especially not my brother, who grew up in SW London.

whichdidyouchoose Thu 16-Jan-14 14:44:06

Isn't that a Greek thing Abra1d?

whichdidyouchoose Thu 16-Jan-14 14:41:21

I think 'no' means 'no'.

whichdidyouchoose Thu 16-Jan-14 13:33:20

Especially with a name like that

whichdidyouchoose Thu 16-Jan-14 13:30:56

But I am sure you can do it very forcefully bigjess.

TheBigJessie Thu 16-Jan-14 13:13:21

My English spelling is as well. Sliiiiipping.

At this rate I will be unable to communicate in any language fluently...

TheBigJessie Thu 16-Jan-14 13:12:22

If we have any more threads about perfectly acceptable English, I will feel forced to start a thread somewhere about rain/reign/rein* and the difference between each of these pesky homophones. Forced, I tell you.

LyingWitch That is a relief. I spent ages staring at it, wondering it if was right. grin Haven't had to use German for months, and it's sliiiiiiiiiiping.

*This has been bugging me for three years on MN, but I have been gracefully refraining.

Abra1d Thu 16-Jan-14 13:08:46

The very worst habit is the Australian one of starting sentences with ' Look'.

Whiskwarrior Thu 16-Jan-14 13:04:39

I'm not sure anymore?

whichdidyouchoose Thu 16-Jan-14 13:03:35

Did you?

Whiskwarrior Thu 16-Jan-14 13:00:31

Next, I'm going to go to a coffee shop and ask if 'I can get a latte^.

<evil emoticon>

Whiskwarrior Thu 16-Jan-14 12:59:54

Sorry, I actually meant to put it as a 'no?' in the Australian sense.

Better or worse?

whichdidyouchoose Thu 16-Jan-14 12:58:40

Good, well done you have employed it in its usual sense. It's a start.

whichdidyouchoose Thu 16-Jan-14 12:57:01

Sorry that was to Whisk and I do agree about the 'so I woke up' 'so I got out of bed' etc but I suppose it's just teenage vernacular.

Whiskwarrior Thu 16-Jan-14 12:55:44

No.

whichdidyouchoose Thu 16-Jan-14 12:54:35

Oh well maybe you will work it out, no?

MrsBungle Thu 16-Jan-14 12:52:49

I find it annoying too op so I'm with you. I'm also scottish and have never heard anyone say no at the end of a sentence. I also can't stand sentences beginning with "so", just start the bloody sentence, it doesn't need a pointless "so" at the beginning of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now