AIBU to hate when people add ',no?' to the end of sentences!

(126 Posts)
HappyGirlNow Tue 14-Jan-14 08:40:17

I may well be and I'm finding it hard to articulate why I hate it but loads of posters do this and I find it exceptionally annoying! It's just not how English sentences should be structured!

Examples: 'But it's cold there this time of year, no?'
'You should have said something at the time, no?'

AIBU???

It's the sentences that start with "So" for no reason at all that I find a bit confused
"So, DP and I were..."
"So, we were at the shops the other day..."
Huh?

TimeToPassGo Tue 14-Jan-14 10:45:55

I have never heard a native speaker say that. It sounds really pretentious! Can understand a non - native speaker saying it.

ginslinger Tue 14-Jan-14 10:48:07

Do you find some people get really out there and add foreign words, non?

HellonHeels Tue 14-Jan-14 10:51:17

What about "non?" That's even more annoying, non?

Lazysuzanne Tue 14-Jan-14 10:51:43

It's surely not as bad as rising inflection?

HellonHeels Tue 14-Jan-14 10:52:19

Whoops ridiculous X post with Gin

Can you really end a German sentence with "oder"?

I don't mind it; because I see it as more than just the word 'no' I suppose. When I see it I always imagine the writer tilting their head sideways and looking pointedly at whoever they are addressing.

HoratiaDrelincourt Tue 14-Jan-14 11:02:23

"... , oder?" is definitely normal German although might be regional. I know southern.

"... , no?" I hear mostly in Scotland so I am prepared to defend it on the grounds of regional variation too.

"Basically..." means "This is more complicated than necessary and I may be remembering wrong and/or filling in the gaps with fiction".

"Obviously..." means "I am definitely not sure about this but don't have the confidence to say so."

"Apparently..." means "this is a total work of fiction, but plausible, which is near enough."

I find 'right?' at the end of the sentence, said with a grating inflection rage-inducing

"I know, right?"

"It tastes good, right?"

Fuck off, you are from North East England, not America.

Lazysuzanne Tue 14-Jan-14 11:05:39

Sometimes there is a slightly menacing 'yeah?' at the end of a sentence, indicating that there may be trouble if you don't concur

HappyGirlNow Tue 14-Jan-14 11:06:28

Horatia I am Scottish and know people from all over Scotland and I've never heard anyone say ',no?' in real life.

Crowler Tue 14-Jan-14 11:15:30

I'm getting a lot of "I know, right?" from my 11 year old. Trying not to censure it - I think he feels it's subtle and I feel a bit mean stomping on it.

Crowler Tue 14-Jan-14 11:15:56

In fairness he my 11 year old does identify as American.

drbonnieblossman Tue 14-Jan-14 11:19:52

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

CalamityKate Tue 14-Jan-14 11:22:29

Crowler - I've got a 10 year old who does the "I know, right??" thing. Too many kids American shows like iCarly hmm

drbonnieblossman Tue 14-Jan-14 11:23:11

oh yes, "non". probably used by someone who also says they are going to Pareee" for the weekend in a French accent.

We can forgive the kids for the Americanisms. The people getting my goat are mid-thirties ladies!

MaidOfStars Tue 14-Jan-14 11:53:23

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Scarletohello Tue 14-Jan-14 11:57:13

If you were French, this would be perfectly normal, ne c'est pas?

LCHammer Tue 14-Jan-14 12:25:28

I've heard the '..., oder?' in German. I don't speak the language but used to understand some many years ago.

chocoluvva Tue 14-Jan-14 12:30:41

YANBU

(I am Scottish too.)

drbonnieblossman Tue 14-Jan-14 12:34:49

yes, switched off at the mains clearly - what's your point maid?

ginslinger Tue 14-Jan-14 12:35:25

great minds HellonHeels, non? grin

MaidOfStars Tue 14-Jan-14 12:41:16

drbonnieblossman Tue 14-Jan-14 12:48:40

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now