AIBU to hate when people add ',no?' to the end of sentences!

(126 Posts)
HappyGirlNow Tue 14-Jan-14 08:40:17

I may well be and I'm finding it hard to articulate why I hate it but loads of posters do this and I find it exceptionally annoying! It's just not how English sentences should be structured!

Examples: 'But it's cold there this time of year, no?'
'You should have said something at the time, no?'

AIBU???

LadyMaryofDownton Tue 14-Jan-14 08:44:46

Really? I've never heard anyone say that YANBU how annoying. It's as bad as "do you know what I mean?, like".

HappyGirlNow Tue 14-Jan-14 08:46:51

I could link to multiple threads on AIBU right now with this LadyMary

NigellasDealer Tue 14-Jan-14 08:48:00

but it is normal, no? grin

(I see your point it is fucking annoying, no?)

It annoys me but nowhere near as much as not.

"He's so handsome - not!" Aaaaaaargh!

CoteDAzur Tue 14-Jan-14 08:48:38

YABU, no?

AtYourCervix Tue 14-Jan-14 08:52:18

N.U.

I also hate on eastenders where every character starts every sentence with 'Yeah'

'How are you?'
'Yeah. Good"

'What are you doing Phil?'
''Yeah, just having a nap'

'Where's soandso going?'
'Yeah, up the west en'.

Etc.

BlueStones Tue 14-Jan-14 08:54:31

Agreed; it's annoying. Along with my other pet hate, the passive aggressive "Um". If a sentence starts with an "Um." and finishes with a "no?" then I cannot continue the conversation.

SharpLily Tue 14-Jan-14 09:08:12

I'm guilty of this and admit it's annoying - but in my defence I use three languages in my daily life and am not always good at separating them, and in one of them this is a completely normal way to finish a sentence.

However the Eastenders 'yeah' does make me want to throw things at the telly.

HappyGirlNow Tue 14-Jan-14 09:27:44

Valid reason SharpLilygrin

LCHammer Tue 14-Jan-14 09:30:40

Hate is a bit strong, no?

It makes me think if the German sentence ending 'Oder?'

Only1scoop Tue 14-Jan-14 09:32:13

Dp and his family use "don't you think" at the end of each sentence....makes me twitch confused

KirstyJC Tue 14-Jan-14 09:33:39

Ooh this gets my goat too! I always picture someone saying it in a really patronising voice with the head tilt as well. Grrr

How do you feel about people not finishing sentences after they say 'or'? REALLY pisses me off - DH does this all the time. eg 'shall we have chips for tea or.......' or maybe ''Shall we go out now or......' OR WHAT! FINISH YOUR SENTENCE YOU LAZY BASTARD!!!

I now refuse to answer unless he give a second option.

LCHammer Tue 14-Jan-14 09:34:38

My children start every sentence with 'basically'. I don't correct them but I hope this phase passes soon.

LittleBearPad Tue 14-Jan-14 09:35:59

Yep, YANBU. It's very irritating.

not because an old boyfriend used to do it at all. GRRR

HappyGirlNow Tue 14-Jan-14 09:40:51

grin Kirsty

BuntCadger Tue 14-Jan-14 09:48:15

to each, their own, no? wink wink

I loathe this and it makes me irrationally livid.

YANBU.

hoobypickypicky Tue 14-Jan-14 10:02:24

"My children start every sentence with 'basically'."

ARGH, yes!

I suppose I should be grateful that I'm not the only parent who's pulling her hair out at that.

My other pet hate is the word "like" at the end of each sentence when it has no right to be there, as in "Where's he from, like?". It seems to be a northern thing, I don't know any southerners who say it.

Latara Tue 14-Jan-14 10:05:08

Ending a sentence in '',no?'' is very annoying. It makes me not want to listen to what the person is saying - It sounds sarcastic IMO.

YANBU.

My grandma does the 'no?' thing and it does get on my tits. I just pretend to be confused and say 'oh... isn't it?'

She's always done it and is pretty sharp for her advanced age so I'm not being cruel btw smile

MaidOfStars Tue 14-Jan-14 10:17:07

I do this. For me, it is a means of seeking (or, less pleasantly, forcing) agreement with the preceding sentence, when I am looking for clarity or affirmation on the point being made. It creates a question from what might be assumed to be an assertion.

Use of 'no?' is inviting dissent; it is slightly deferential. I also finish some sentence-questions with 'yes?', to indicate that I'm more positive of the truth of the statement but still recognising possible inaccuracy.

newyearhere Tue 14-Jan-14 10:17:15

People are too lazy to say "isn't it?"

Crowler Tue 14-Jan-14 10:19:28

This doesn't bother me. It's sort of a way of saying "do you agree?".

It's not terribly pervasive and seems fairly correct in the grammatical sense, no?

newyearhere Tue 14-Jan-14 10:28:05

I can't stand "don't you think?"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now