to give up ANOTHER degree

(81 Posts)
Objection Mon 13-Jan-14 22:33:17

background: I went straight from sixth form to a volunteering position in Africa and then went on to work in various office jobs.

In 2011 I took a part time job in an office at a University and started a full time degree at another university nearby in Media & Sociology. After 2 weeks the hour commute between work and lectures was killing me (i worked a half day, every day) so I switched to attend the University I was working at studying BA Sociology instead (I wanted to do Psychology but it was full).

I despised both the course and my job and then got hit by a car (as you do) and had to take some time out. This gave me chance to have a think and shortly afterwards I quit both.

Taking another job at the University, this one being Full Time and in a much nicer department, I enrolled on a Psychology degree with the Open University (my OH is also studying with them and we both rated them highly). I much prefer the subject and also means I can progress onto Clinical Psychology which is what I wanted in the 1st place.

I felt pretty stupid though as this was now the 3rd university I had been to.

However, I now work in a very stressful office job full time (a high level role but not management) and work in London as a weekend Nanny most weekends.

My motivation skills are poor (and clearly my attention span is too) and I am battling with an ever increasing depression and anxiety disorder as I struggle to fit study around 60+ working hours a week.

I have worked out that by quitting my office job and starting yet another degree at a brick and mortar university I could bring home £370 a week at least by studying the degree full time, working most weekends and fitting in the odd temp nanny job during the holidays.

This would give me 5 days a week extra to study and the contact time with the university would most likely increase my motivation.

I'm also confident I will be allowed to start in year 2 as I have already completed a lot of credits. so I would finish the degree a year earlier.

but I would be accumulating a lot (£25000) of student debt and would be hugely embarrassed to be changing routes AGAIN

AIBU to change universities for blush the 4th time?

Mumoftwoyoungkids Tue 14-Jan-14 15:34:18

Op - is there any way you can transfer the OU work you have already done into something material - a certificate or something? Sorry - I know nothing OU but it seems a same to not get anything out of your hard work.

I have done study alongside full time work. It is difficult at the best of times. 60 hours a week of work plus study is ridiculous. You will kill yourself. It may be that if you cut down your work hours then the OU will suddenly be a lot more enjoyable.

DontmindifIdo Tue 14-Jan-14 15:42:10

Can I also ask another question that you don't have to answer, if you are struggling with your own mental health issues, are you sure that a career working with other people with mental health problems day in and out will be the best for you?

Objection Tue 14-Jan-14 16:04:55

I've just spoken to two of the local universities and neither would be able to enter me in on the 2nd year (regardless of what i had completely before).
So i would have to "go back" to do 1st year over again. This is a massive factor, both financially and for my own sanity.

I'm going to check with the other universities in my area but tbh I'm getting the impression that Psychology is a special case for this kind of thing.

Objection Tue 14-Jan-14 16:05:46

dontmindifido Its something im really interested in and naturally inclined towards. Plus i think that my experiences with MH will give me a level of empathy which would be massively beneficial.

Thanks mumof smile

The problem with being really far to one side of destination or journey is (I think) it makes people really unhappy. My sister being an example, when she was younger she used to react to frustrations by making massive changes - leaving a job, changing courses at university.

And each time, it didn't solve the underlying problem that life is pretty much a journey and provided you're broadly OK with the destination you're planning for and working towards, making huge sweeping changes in response to difficult immediate circumstances can be the wrong choice. It's often better to wait a short time and see if you still feel the same. I used to say to her 'wait 6 weeks and see how you feel then'.

In the case of the OP, I'd say see your GP, then wait six weeks and see how you feel then grin

is there any way you can transfer the OU work you have already done into something material

Higher education modules are, in theory, transferrable provided you haven't already used the credits towards a qualification. So a 10 credit module at OU can, if the new university accepts what the module has covered, equate to 10 credits anywhere. So if OP has passed OU modules in the right sorts of topics, then she already has something tangible.

Objection the transferability of the modules you've already done will depend on the level of the module and how many credits it's worth.

So you may not be able to go straight into year 2 of a psychology course, but you may be able to do year 1 but take a reduced number of modules so as to accumulate the number of credits you need to move to year 2. This may not be a bad thing if you are also trying to tackle MH issues and resolve your job situation at the same time. Little steps preferable to giant leaps.

Why not try emailing the course leader of the degree you are interested in, rather than just speaking to admissions people? If you can persuade them to give you a few minutes (and I would talk to you if you were keen and interested in studying my subject) then you will get better advice. Because admissions people have to deal with so many, they will just give you the party line.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now