Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think pictures of babies with food on their faces are gross?

(72 Posts)

I'm not asking 'why do people do this' because I definitely did it too when DS was small and I wrongly thought weaning pictures were funny. I might even have put one on Facebook. But they are actually so gross. All I think when I see one is 'that lovely face is spoilt by that crusted on baked bean juice' and it just makes me feel a bit ill. I also find kids with food encrusted faces a bit grim in real life, maybe I'm a weirdo.

i don't really think any pictures of babies are gross i'm afraid.

WaffilyVersatile Mon 13-Jan-14 21:32:54

You aren't just BU. You are being odd.

SPsMrLoverManSHABBA Mon 13-Jan-14 21:32:55

Vamp My brother sent me a pic of our little brother eating dog shit. That was gross grin

Oakmaiden Mon 13-Jan-14 21:33:05

Funny -I was looking at my daughter's baby photo's with her yesterday, and found the picture of her first encounter with chocolate. It was very cute - but probably mostly because it was a memory for me of that particular occasion, than because the sight of a child with chocolate in their eyebrows is particularly appealing...

CrohnicallySick Mon 13-Jan-14 21:34:19

It depends.

Fresh food that you take a quick snap of before commencing the great clean up operation is cute/funny. Especially when they manage to smear it on an unusual part of their face (like eyebrows) or it makes a funny shape (like a moustache and beard).

However, crusted on bean juice suggests its not fresh and is therefore gross.

I reserve the right to change my mind when DD gets older (as you clearly did!)

I don't really mean the face is spoilt. I mean the view of the face is spoilt. Really? Just me?

SP bleurgh yeah that's not ideal.

slightlyglitterstained Mon 13-Jan-14 21:34:52

I like the "bring me another smurf!" one.

Lilacroses Mon 13-Jan-14 21:35:58

No, I can't stand this either op! There was another thread on this a while ago and we were in the minority. It just makes me feel sick. Sorry!

FortyDoorsToNowhere Mon 13-Jan-14 21:37:08

I quite like them.

Lila! Yay! I'm not alone. And SP that's gross! I think I would have puked. Genuinely.

Lilacroses Mon 13-Jan-14 21:39:23

I do feel bad about it but even with my own Dd I wouldn't have enjoyed it and I am far from pernickity about tidyness etc. Not sure why I find it so yukky!

FannyFifer Mon 13-Jan-14 21:42:33

I hate it as well, tried baby led weaning but dear god the mess.

When DD was little the Health visitor kept trying up get us to come to a group where you basically let your baby crawl and roll about in food.

Wtf, food is for eating not playing with. I declined several times.

Ugh fanny that sounds foul. What is the logic behind that?

FannyFifer Mon 13-Jan-14 22:54:30

It's meant to be a "sensory" thing apparently.
I've seen photos of friends babies doing the class crawling around amongst jelly & spaghetti and it gives me the total boak.

Helltotheno Mon 13-Jan-14 22:55:57

Fanny just... eewww sad Where is the appeal in that?

I'm with you OP... I do find babies cute an' all but I don't like messy eating in adults and even though it's a normal part of being a kid, if I was showing off photos, I wouldn't be in a rush to show messy food ones.
I dunno, I don't think you're odd smile

Casmama Mon 13-Jan-14 23:02:17

This probably sounds strange but I think it depends on the food. Smooth white food eg yogurt or icecream I have no problem with but anything darker like chocolate or god forbid beans- gross.

BlueStones Mon 13-Jan-14 23:06:58

I don't like it either. I don't say anything, of course: just smile at whoever is showing me the photo. But it turns my stomach. I'm aware that I'm in the minority though.

It's my phobia tbh. Food on faces makes me feel sick, regardless of age.

hmc Mon 13-Jan-14 23:09:06

I don't think they are the cutest variant of baby photos but neither am I repulsed [bemused emoticon]

Mintyy Mon 13-Jan-14 23:09:11

Yanbu. No one, with possible exception of overly-doting Granny, is interested in pictures of your baby covered in food.

Would have thought that's fairly obvious!

All of us with children have seen it all before.

Rosencrantz Tue 14-Jan-14 04:13:43

I think it's gross. I think food is quite gross generally.

ThomasLynn Australia Tue 14-Jan-14 05:07:11

YANBU.
My stomach does flip flops when they come up on FB. Especially banana or porridge. Massive boak.

Christmas2013 Tue 14-Jan-14 05:14:19

I find them absolutely disgusting - I have friends who regularly put them on FB and I have to scan past them ASAP. I just don't get it - urgh!
So glad I'm not the only person who feels this way - I was tempted to ask the friend who made her profile picture her son smeared in food to change it as it makes my stomach turn but I don't think she'd take it well so I'm just hoping it gets changed again soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now