To not understand why tesco were selling alcohol to a group of guys at 4.30 on a sunday

(89 Posts)
LEMoncehadacatcalledSANTA Sun 12-Jan-14 20:48:36

So we were at tesco today and I had made DP go through with my bottle of wine at 3.55 so that we could get it before 4pm. Very nice it was too grin

Anyway, was at the till and a group of lads walked past and one guy had a bag of ice on his head, so i commented to the girl behind the till - perhaps he has a head ache. So she said "yeah, he'll have a bigger one in a minute when they wont serve him with all that booze" and we made a few jokey comments about it. Their trolley was FULL of alcohol - i can only assume they were going to have a party. They looked like students, probably early twenties.

As we walked out, about half four, there they were, at the self service tills with the Tesco supervisor lady putting through their alcohol hmm

Now i don't really care but weren't they breaking the law? I bet they wouldn't have let me have my £4 bottle of libfraumilch but it would seem they didn't want to let the couple of hundred pounds with of blackcurrent cider go unsold hmm

LEMoncehadacatcalledSANTA Sun 12-Jan-14 20:59:09

no, it was a main store secrets - i still am at a loss

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Sun 12-Jan-14 20:59:42

Why did you start this thread OP?

Were you hoping for hoards of the PO to tell you you were justified in wanting to piss on the lads' bonfire?

confused

RoseRedder Sun 12-Jan-14 20:59:53

It's 10pm up here in Scotland, every day including Sunday

TheXxed Sun 12-Jan-14 21:00:10

The sales assistant is personally liable for breaking licencing laws. If they serve alcohol at restricted times or for not checking I.D.

There are prompts on the screen. Which will remind you to check I.D and confirm you have checked.

If you scan an alcohol the screen will prompt you to say the item cannot be sold at this time. The super visor used their ability to override the system to make the sale.

The supervisor and the sales advisor broke the law.

Joules68 Sun 12-Jan-14 21:00:20

Op are you hoping to turn this into a tesco hate campaign??hmm

DoItTooJulia Sun 12-Jan-14 21:00:30

Your Tesco needs a more 21st century liquor license LEM!

Ragusa Sun 12-Jan-14 21:01:16

It will be something to do with that store's particular license conditions.

Bearbehind Sun 12-Jan-14 21:01:18

I know not all threads on here are majorly world important but this one does seem petty beyond belief!

LEMoncehadacatcalledSANTA Sun 12-Jan-14 21:01:47

Where did i say i wanted to piss on their bonfire? I was genuinely curious - can you buy it or can't you? they had just said you couldnt but clearly you can. Christ, why are people getting het up about it, i was only asking or is it because this is AIBU so it has, by law, to be a bunfight?

grabaspoon Sun 12-Jan-14 21:01:48

So if I went over the road to Tesco [express] now, they wouldnt serve me?

GirlWithTheDirtyShirt Sun 12-Jan-14 21:03:08

I don't understand. I thought these laws had changed years ago? 2005 if I recall correctly.

LEMoncehadacatcalledSANTA Sun 12-Jan-14 21:03:26

Thanks Xxed - they definately looked over 18 and i reckon they are definately going to need their ice hats in the morning smile

No i am not going to start a tesco hate campaign, christ on a bike, can no one ask a question around here.

Coldlightofday Sun 12-Jan-14 21:03:59

try this OP

There are no restrictions, in case you can't be arsed grin

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Sun 12-Jan-14 21:04:08

YOU started the thread! I doubt very much whether I would have been bothered enough to do that!

LEMoncehadacatcalledSANTA Sun 12-Jan-14 21:04:40

Then why post on it bearbehind, i was just asking - i could ahve just have easily asked "why are cup cakes called cup cakes" I was not pissed off, i was not outraged, i was just curious

BillyBanter Sun 12-Jan-14 21:05:06

I had no idea there were restrictions on when you could buy alcohol from a shop.

Do feel free to start a Tesco hate campaign, though. There are plenty of reasons to hate them!

Floggingmolly Sun 12-Jan-14 21:05:17

Allowed to sell alcohol all the time they're open?? Surely not.
I was forced to hang around outside Tesco at 7.45am like a total lush a few weeks ago (blush) when I'd forgotten to get the bottle of wine for the school fair's bottle stall. They wouldn't serve me until 8 o'clock; so ds2 and me skulked in the carpark for 15 minutes...

Jinty64 Sun 12-Jan-14 21:05:31

You can't buy it before 12:30 pm on a Sunday here but I think you can buy it till 10 at night.

jacks365 Sun 12-Jan-14 21:06:24

I know a store that used to do an announcement like that but about half an hour before the actual deadline. The reason for it was to ensure that all sales were through the till before the deadline ie it didn't matter if people got stuck in queues for the tills they could still be served.

PinkPepper Sun 12-Jan-14 21:07:16

Stores in England, Wales and Northern Ireland sell alcohol within the hours agreed when their licence was granted to sell alcohol. These times are set in agreement with the issuing authorities in line with government and local authority guidelines and legislation. Due to the variation from store to store, we're unable to publish this information. Contact your local store for specific information, they'll be happy to help.

The Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005 governs the hours in which we are able to sell alcohol in Scotland. The act states that alcohol can be sold between the hours of 10am and 10pm. Some stores may have further restrictions, namely that alcohol can only be sold on a Sunday between the hours of 12:30pm and 10pm.

I think the law has changed. I've definitely bought alcohol after 4pm on sundays.

TheXxed Sun 12-Jan-14 21:07:32

Convenience stores are not subject to the same licensing restrictions.

beepbeep Sun 12-Jan-14 21:07:55

Every outlet that sells alcohol has to apply for their own individual license so depends on their terms as to what hours they can the alcohol. Some places have 24 hour licenses, not many supermarkets have restrictions within their opening times anymore.

Bearbehind Sun 12-Jan-14 21:08:00

There are no licensing restrictions at 4pm on a Sunday- you just sound a bit bitter tbh.

I really don't understand why anyone would give a shit about other adults buying alcohol in a supermarket at any time of day.

LEMoncehadacatcalledSANTA Sun 12-Jan-14 21:08:12

I started the thread becausse i thoguht someone would come and say "oh, its ok, its at store discretion" or "ooh, maybe they shouldnt have done that" or "they can do this because" but if you want to have a good old froth on my behalf, feel free grin Ive just finished my bottle of cheapo german wine, so i don't care a monkeys flea

Stinklebell Sun 12-Jan-14 21:10:11

You can sell alcohol until 10pm on a Sunday

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now