Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To turn off the lava lamp

(32 Posts)
StuntNun Sun 12-Jan-14 20:28:14

DS3 (14 months) has a lava lamp in his room. DH keeps leaving it on with the velour curtain draped over it to diffuse the light. I keep turning it off because I worry that it is a fire hazard being so close to the curtain and also because I think it is too bright and DS3 would sleep better in a dark room. He woke us up six times last night resulting in DH turning the lava lamp on when he went in and me turning it off on my turns to go in. DH gave me a row at DS3's bedtime tonight and specifically instructed me not to turn it off as I was just 'being silly' about it being a fire risk. AIBU to turn the lamp off anyway?

TheCunnyFuntIsGettingMarried Sun 12-Jan-14 20:53:09

shock Bloody hell! Your DH is an idiot! My 2yo nephew threw a soft toy across a room recently and it landed on top of a 'normal' lamp (with a cone shade woth a hole in the top), the toy didn't touch the bulb and was there no more than 10 minutes before we noticed the smoke, the toy was all scorched where it had been close to the bulb.

My sister had a lava lamp and they get unbelievably hot. Does your DH think that because the curtain isn't touching a bulb that it won't catch fire? If I were you i would actually get rid of the lava lamp incase your DH carried on using it even with a different lamp in there.

FortyDoorsToNowhere Sun 12-Jan-14 20:54:35
CatAmongThePigeons Sun 12-Jan-14 20:58:24

LLava lamps should never be left unattended but adding a curtain into the mix is just unnecessary. Night lights are available for a reason.

What would happen if your DS accidentally managed to get hold of the lava lamp in the night? We all know young children can have super human abilities and do things we never think they could do.

StuntNun Sun 12-Jan-14 21:19:48

Thanks LittlePrincess I have ordered a couple of those night lights so DS1 can have one as well.

hiddenhome Sun 12-Jan-14 22:51:00

What, is he mad? I'd be getting rid of the lava lamp and your dh because he's so daft shock

missymayhemsmum Sun 12-Jan-14 22:52:04

Totally dangerous, you are not being silly. Put your foot down. Try a night or two of proper dark to see if your son's sleep improves (humans are meant to sleep in the dark, generally!) if he's one of those kids who needs a nightlight buy a low energy nightlight designed for the job, and get rid of the lavalamp.
If your DH persists in being an arse disappear the lavalamp to ebay and just tell him you know he thinks you're silly, but you couldn't sleep for worrying about it.

MonsieurReynard Mon 13-Jan-14 00:10:20

Molten wax in hot oil, in a hot breakable glass tube, covered with flammable fabric, and with a fifty-year track record of spontaneous shattering? Not necessarily the ideal choice for a child's nightlight, compared to, say, an actual nightlight... Seriously, I've still got spatter-mark scars from when mine detonated at uni 14 years ago after i fell asleep.with it still on - get rid, or at least take it out the kid's room!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now