To have unprotected sex even though we don't want to conceive.

(70 Posts)
Seekingsense Sun 12-Jan-14 19:42:34

Planning to ttc in the near future so had Mirena coil removed in November so I could give my cycles chance to regulate prior to ttc.

Definitely do not want to conceive until at least March (various reasons).

LMP was 1st January and previous cycle was 38 days long. Been monitoring LH levels and no LH surge today.

Had a 'special' evening planned for DH and found out an hour ago that we've run out of condoms shock Local shop does not sell them and nearest supermarket is 30 minute drive away!

WIBU to go for it anyway? Realistically, I'm unlikely to conceive at this point in my cycle, am I?

Ahhhhh. Frustrated.

Grumpasaurus Sun 12-Jan-14 22:01:35

have sex and then go to your pharmacy tomorrow to get the morning after pill. And while you are there, by some condoms.

Mellowandfruitful Sun 12-Jan-14 22:04:04

Just go for a non PIV alternative. Might make a nice change! grin

morethanpotatoprints Sun 12-Jan-14 22:08:16

YANBU

You can't always plan a child just when you want to, so as long as you don't mind when you conceive then why not.
We have 3 dc and just let nature take its course, no contraception unless we definitely didn't want one at that time. But never actually planned any grin

FortyDoorsToNowhere Sun 12-Jan-14 22:09:18

Could you get the MAP in the morning.

Not 100% safe though.

Mellowandfruitful Sun 12-Jan-14 22:12:11

But wouldn't the MAP potentially mess up the cycle as well?

Noideaatall Sun 12-Jan-14 22:16:16

Don't rely on the morning after pill. That & a split condom are the reason I had DS2.

FortyDoorsToNowhere Sun 12-Jan-14 22:17:27

It might, didn't with me after a condom split.

Iwillorderthefood Sun 12-Jan-14 22:18:14

Don't do it, am pg wiith DC3 as did not think it was possible.

Showy Sun 12-Jan-14 22:20:17

The danger with withdrawal isn't the risk of sperm in pre-ejaculatory fluid for the vast majority of men. Research suggests that most men do not leak sperm and the risk is from two ejaculations without urination in between. It's still in the pipes iyswim. Research shows perfect use of withdrawal is highly effective. It doesn't work as well as it should due to men not pulling out in time. There are a few exceptions to this of course but for a disciplined couple, it's a valid choice.

LEMoncehadacatcalledSANTA Sun 12-Jan-14 22:21:05

Get him to pull it out that didn't result in DD2, oh no

LEMoncehadacatcalledSANTA Sun 12-Jan-14 22:23:28

Gosh, im not sure i would plan on the MAP! all those hormones - no thanks, as an EMERGENCY form of contraception, fine, but aren;t you supposed to only have it three times?

If you really don't want to get pregnant then don't take a risk, but if it would just not be the right month then go for it and accept whatever fate throws at you.

ShreddedHoops Sun 12-Jan-14 22:30:15

Oh no please don't use the MaP, I have used it a few times in my erm more carefree days, and it made me sick as a dog every time. <shudders at the memory> and yes it will further mess with your cycle.

BertieBowtiesAreCool Sun 12-Jan-14 22:42:56

What three times in your life?! I don't think so confused

I've taken it about 3 times already and I'm only 25 blush To be fair they were all in my teens.

thenightsky Sun 12-Jan-14 22:56:54

MAP is vile and I threw up massively both times I took it. It did work though. Phew.

Mabelandrose Mon 13-Jan-14 17:42:58

The map is not 100% reliable.

Neither is any contraception (as I should know! wink )

ItsATIARA Mon 13-Jan-14 17:52:10

MAP and withdrawal aren't 100% reliable but neither are condoms, they're all much of a muchness. 69 OTOH is guaranteed 100% pregnancy free.

Took the pill for 8 years straight. GP said it would take about 6 months to conceive. Took 1 week.

Chunderella Mon 13-Jan-14 18:31:24

I thought it was 3 times in 1 cycle?

Either way, I agree MAP isn't something to use unless you have to. There really are quite a lot of hormones in a dose and it makes many people feel rather rough. It's a great invention and I'm very glad to have had access to it the one time I needed it. But it's called emergency contraception for a reason, it isn't ideal on a regular basis.

ToffeeOwnsTheSausage Mon 13-Jan-14 18:53:12

have sex and then go to your pharmacy tomorrow to get the morning after pill.""

What ridiculous advice!

"And while you are there, buy some condoms."

Much better advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now