To have unprotected sex even though we don't want to conceive.

(70 Posts)
Seekingsense Sun 12-Jan-14 19:42:34

Planning to ttc in the near future so had Mirena coil removed in November so I could give my cycles chance to regulate prior to ttc.

Definitely do not want to conceive until at least March (various reasons).

LMP was 1st January and previous cycle was 38 days long. Been monitoring LH levels and no LH surge today.

Had a 'special' evening planned for DH and found out an hour ago that we've run out of condoms shock Local shop does not sell them and nearest supermarket is 30 minute drive away!

WIBU to go for it anyway? Realistically, I'm unlikely to conceive at this point in my cycle, am I?

Ahhhhh. Frustrated.

thenightsky Sun 12-Jan-14 19:43:53

Ah just do it. I did. Got pregnant instantly grin

NatashaBee Sun 12-Jan-14 19:44:45

It depends how definite you are about not wanting to conceive smile do you have a pub nearby? They usually have machines in the men's toilets.

Only have unprotected sex if you are willing to get pregnant

I don't care where I am on my cycle I never have unprotected because there is no way in the world I would be happy to have another child

TwatWeevil Sun 12-Jan-14 19:45:03

You are about 99.99% guaranteed to get pregnant if you do.

I wasn't ovulating when we conceived DC2...grin

FalalalalalalaFiggy Sun 12-Jan-14 19:45:22

If you thinking about it soon anyway why not (says I who got pg last year on exactly the type of evening you suggesting in similar circumstances)

I thought I didn't need to bother going into the next room to get my diaphragm.
DS thought otherwise, only risk it if conception wouldn't be a disaster, it wasn't for me, just earlier than planned.

BigBirthdayGloom Sun 12-Jan-14 19:47:29

Thing is, even with no surge today, you could get one tomorrow and the sperm would still be ready and waiting. If the reasons are really strong to wait til march then either postpone the "special evening" for an hour while one of you goes to the supermarket and back. If not-go for it.

BertieBowtiesAreCool Sun 12-Jan-14 19:47:46

Can't you ask him to get some on the way home from work? Root around in drawers etc grin are there really none in the local shop, they may have them behind the counter.

Misfitless Sun 12-Jan-14 19:48:10

How important is it not to conceive till March?

You must have set that deadline for very specific reasons.

If you'll be pleased to conceive tonight, go for it...otherwise, it's a no-brainer, surely?

Sure go for it. Autumn babies are the oldest in the school year grin

Misfitless Sun 12-Jan-14 19:49:07

Sorry to be so boring and practical...I've no room to talk, believe me!

ShreddedHoops Sun 12-Jan-14 19:49:48

You say yourself that your cycles aren't yet regular due to the coil, so it's definitely a risk. I guess if it were a disaster if you got pg though you wouldn't be asking, so go for it! Just make sure you do a POAS thread in a fortnight wink

Having said that, DH and I avoided sex for a week each month before we ttc, then when we targeted ovulation time then I got pregnant first time. So I do quite like the rhythm method or whatever you want to call it, as long as it's not essential that you don't fall pg. but if your cycles are irregular then you can't realistically know when you're ovulating until they settle down.

zizzo Sun 12-Jan-14 19:50:10

You don't have to go all the way, you know!

Oral, MM, etc.?

PicardyThird Sun 12-Jan-14 19:51:27

We used the rhythm/calendar method successfully for several years, but I had very regular cycles of the textbook 28-day-give-or-take-a-day-or-two type and so was able to predict which period wouldn't be safe and give it a wide berth (or condoms) with a day-ish either side for safety.

I wouldn't have risked it in your situation if I really, really didn't want to get pregnant.

Now to March is only two months. Does it make that much difference?

BertieBowtiesAreCool Sun 12-Jan-14 19:52:07

You could.just have anal sex grin

Thegreatunslept Sun 12-Jan-14 19:53:50

My friend thought the same got pregnant the 1st month after coil was removed.

newyearhere Sun 12-Jan-14 19:55:39

Sperm can live for a few days, so even if you don't ovulate for a few more days, you could still get pregnant. The egg only lives for 12-24 hours after it's released.

WitchWay Sun 12-Jan-14 19:57:41

It's nearly March - relax!

Rosencrantz Sun 12-Jan-14 19:58:03

I'd do it. You want a baby right?

If you categorically didn't want a child, you wouldn't be considering this. But you do, so do it.

If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, it doesn't. You don't need to actively try until March, but up until then you can not not try, Iyswim?

ToffeeOwnsTheSausage Sun 12-Jan-14 19:58:30

YWBU, you would be daft.

You want to wait until March so why are you doing the opposite?

ToffeeOwnsTheSausage Sun 12-Jan-14 19:59:18

YWNOT BU

Seekingsense Sun 12-Jan-14 20:01:09

The difference of a couple of months makes a massive financial difference with contractual mat pay entitlement etc. so the sensible answer is that I'm obviously being unreasonable, aren't I?

I've had some wine so can't drive to supermarket. DH is apparently in the mood, but not enough to be arsed to do an hour round trip hmm

Will have to come up with something else to do this evening wink

BertieBowtiesAreCool last time we tried that, it didn't agree with me.

WitchWay Sun 12-Jan-14 20:03:31

Give him a blow job

Famzilla Sun 12-Jan-14 20:03:51

I "wasn't ovulating" when the condom split, 2 days after coming off the pill.

I'm now a mother.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now