To ask why your/my/our/the baby is usually referred to as just ‘baby’?

(32 Posts)
DitaVonCreamTeas Sun 12-Jan-14 18:31:59

‘You will feel baby’s first kicks...’
‘Make sure baby’s head is supported...’
‘Don’t wean baby until...’

I don’t know why this gets on my tits as much as it does (apart from the distinct whiff of twee), but oh, it gets on my tits. ‘Your’ or ‘the’ would be fine, surely?

Does it make anyone else gag or is it just me?

Stuckunderababy Mon 13-Jan-14 19:05:36

YANBU! Although even worse is adults who refer to each other, or themselves to other adults as mummy i.e. I am Jake's mummy, I can't wait to be a mummy, or let's have a mummy's night out, etc. my kids call me mummy, I'll tell other kids I am Jake's mummy, but to other adults I am mum or a mum. Maybe this is U but it boils my piss - probably something to do with when you become a 'mummy' it's as if you're supposed to become all twee and childlike yourself.

And don't get me started on yummy mummy bags boak

Coumarin Mon 13-Jan-14 18:27:12

Argh! I hate this! I'm being completely unreasonable as I haven't even had A baby myself but when I hear this or see it written, every nerve in my body goes. It's horrible.

If Mum could just pop Baby into the cot.

No!

ViviPru Mon 13-Jan-14 17:05:14

I hate it too. Glad I'm not alone.

popsgran Mon 13-Jan-14 17:02:01

Its over familiar lazy sudo cosy grammar I hate it.Why has nobody said so?

vladthedisorganised Mon 13-Jan-14 16:58:08

YANBU.
It amazes me how mothers are supposed to suddenly find this sort of thing endearing. "Your baby" isn't so hard to say, even if you can't remember the baby's name. I don't mind people at work referring to 'the little'un', which at least has a definite article.

And as for my HV going on about "Does Baby like his din-dins?"... well.

Imagine if this approach were applied elsewhere?
"Have you got an ouchie in your spine? It looks like that's a little disc that's had a bumpety-bump!"
"That toothypeg has a nasty in it, so we'll have to put a little sparkly in to make the nasty all better!"

Gatogris Mon 13-Jan-14 02:22:23

I agree. YANBU

hedwiggywiggerson Sun 12-Jan-14 20:28:51

I don't mind it actually, 'your baby' would be better I suppose.

'The baby' grates on me because it sounds like an inanimate object not a person, especially after the birth when there is a name!

I hate it too. and the whole "mum" thing. "how's mum today?" arg!!

and my last midwife was particularly annoying: "so, we had a c-section last time didn't we?" I'm thinking, oh you too? oh no, you just seem to have a grammar problem. shut up shut up shut up!

honestpointofview Sun 12-Jan-14 19:43:11

I am the same as Fourtydoors. So many people at work have children I forget all the names. i try to say how is your little one or something similar.

ImperialBlether Sun 12-Jan-14 19:40:21

I hate this, too. Mind you, I also hate it if people are talking about their family in the same way, eg, "Dad says..." Surely that implies he's my dad, too? Why can't they just say, "My dad says..."?

Mind you, I've found that sort of person is self-centred too.

JedwardScissorhands Sun 12-Jan-14 19:25:22

Hate this. My MIL kept using this with my eldest. Like it had a fucking capital B.

raffle Sun 12-Jan-14 19:24:59

The midwife we had on the ward referred to our DS as "Bub".

She was saved only by the fact that I had a c-section and couldn't physically get out of bed and punch her grin

FirstStopCafe Sun 12-Jan-14 19:21:40

Doesn't bother me at all

Drives me bonkers too.. slightly irrational I fear but it still makes me get all stabby.

Fairylea Sun 12-Jan-14 19:19:10

I hate it too.

Tulip26 Sun 12-Jan-14 19:15:25

Annoys me too. I'm a grammar nazi though.

Ifancyashandy Sun 12-Jan-14 19:06:54

I am unlikely to ever be a birth mother and yet this grips my piss. 'The baby' or ' Your baby' are fine. 'Baby' makes the woman (IMO) sound like an incubator, maybe because it totally removes the mother from the equation.

fluffyraggies Sun 12-Jan-14 19:02:46

Doesn't bother me personally. In books, on TV, by MW ect.

However - my MIL still calling her first GC Baby, when he is now nearly 7 and she has 3 other grand kids who are actually babies, makes my teeth itch ...

''Baby is coming round later'', ''Baby rode his bike up the street today'', ''Baby loves his onesie'' etc. Ugh.

specialsubject Sun 12-Jan-14 18:52:00

also can't quite identify why it is so nauseating and patronising, but it is

'the baby' or 'baby fred', or just 'fred'!!

IneedAwittierNickname Sun 12-Jan-14 18:50:25

I don't know.

In some ways 'the baby' makes it sound like an object, rather than a person, at least it does to me.
Whereas just 'baby' is a replacement for the name.
Does that even make sense?

On a similar note, my ex always refers to his new DS as 'the baby' when talking to me, which is silly as I'm well aware what the baby's name is. grin

FortyDoorsToNowhere Sun 12-Jan-14 18:49:32

Many of my friends have had babies and I loose track of the names.

So I ask how's the baby as I don't want to get the name wrong.

I haven't heard it after birth, only during pregnancy.

But then my role has been in CP and the mother isn't always going to retain residency or PR.

Even just in general health care, it's a minefield, sometimes.

I think Mum, sounds less formal then "the Mum", you see so many different people/personalities/situations, it's difficult not to upset someone by a careless use of a word, or sentence.

needaholidaynow Sun 12-Jan-14 18:43:42

"All you need for baby"

"Treats for mum"

^^Whenever one of those baby events pop up and you're flicking through the advertisement that comes through your letter box.

DameFanny Sun 12-Jan-14 18:40:18

But what's the alternative? "It"?

LaundryLegoLunch Sun 12-Jan-14 18:38:28

I hate hate this. I'm glad I've finished having babies so I'm never subjected to this again grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now