To ask why your/my/our/the baby is usually referred to as just ‘baby’?

(32 Posts)
DitaVonCreamTeas Sun 12-Jan-14 18:31:59

‘You will feel baby’s first kicks...’
‘Make sure baby’s head is supported...’
‘Don’t wean baby until...’

I don’t know why this gets on my tits as much as it does (apart from the distinct whiff of twee), but oh, it gets on my tits. ‘Your’ or ‘the’ would be fine, surely?

Does it make anyone else gag or is it just me?

hedwiggywiggerson Sun 12-Jan-14 20:28:51

I don't mind it actually, 'your baby' would be better I suppose.

'The baby' grates on me because it sounds like an inanimate object not a person, especially after the birth when there is a name!

Gatogris Mon 13-Jan-14 02:22:23

I agree. YANBU

vladthedisorganised Mon 13-Jan-14 16:58:08

YANBU.
It amazes me how mothers are supposed to suddenly find this sort of thing endearing. "Your baby" isn't so hard to say, even if you can't remember the baby's name. I don't mind people at work referring to 'the little'un', which at least has a definite article.

And as for my HV going on about "Does Baby like his din-dins?"... well.

Imagine if this approach were applied elsewhere?
"Have you got an ouchie in your spine? It looks like that's a little disc that's had a bumpety-bump!"
"That toothypeg has a nasty in it, so we'll have to put a little sparkly in to make the nasty all better!"

popsgran Mon 13-Jan-14 17:02:01

Its over familiar lazy sudo cosy grammar I hate it.Why has nobody said so?

ViviPru Mon 13-Jan-14 17:05:14

I hate it too. Glad I'm not alone.

Coumarin Mon 13-Jan-14 18:27:12

Argh! I hate this! I'm being completely unreasonable as I haven't even had A baby myself but when I hear this or see it written, every nerve in my body goes. It's horrible.

If Mum could just pop Baby into the cot.

No!

Stuckunderababy Mon 13-Jan-14 19:05:36

YANBU! Although even worse is adults who refer to each other, or themselves to other adults as mummy i.e. I am Jake's mummy, I can't wait to be a mummy, or let's have a mummy's night out, etc. my kids call me mummy, I'll tell other kids I am Jake's mummy, but to other adults I am mum or a mum. Maybe this is U but it boils my piss - probably something to do with when you become a 'mummy' it's as if you're supposed to become all twee and childlike yourself.

And don't get me started on yummy mummy bags boak

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now