To fix my fence with a glue gun?

(24 Posts)
AndiMac Sun 12-Jan-14 16:38:24

The panel on the fence at the front has come off and it's falling to bits. I realise that gluing it would only be temporary fix until the weather improves and we can replace it.

I have a rather heavy duty use glue gun (no delicate sequin glue action with this) and an extension cord. What do you think? Will it hold for more than 30 seconds? Am I a total loon? Actually, I already know I'm a loon based on other parts of my life, but will this confirm it to the neighbours?

Quoteunquote Sun 12-Jan-14 16:47:49

It will not work.

AndiMac Sun 12-Jan-14 17:07:17

Why not?

complexnumber Sun 12-Jan-14 17:28:44

Glue is rubbish at holding things together that might move about.

(I have no idea when I became the expert on these fence matters)

Farrowandbawl Sun 12-Jan-14 17:29:49

Nail it until you can replace it.

Glue wont work, especially seeing as the chances are the wood is still wet.

LIZS Sun 12-Jan-14 17:30:55

ours are still sodden , don't fancy the chances of the glue actually drying let alone holding. Unless you can nail it leave it.

IDugUpADiamond Sun 12-Jan-14 17:32:41

It won't work at all but what glue gun do you have?

AndiMac Sun 12-Jan-14 18:02:37

Hmm, you've all taken some of the wind out of my sails. It's a Loctite glue gun.

Op, you remind me of myself. I have grand ideas that never work - sorry. I am so proud of them at the time, but I have learnt that the reason no one else does things is because it doesn't bloody work.

MadeOfStarDust Sun 12-Jan-14 19:03:34

nails and string... fix most things...

Armadale Sun 12-Jan-14 19:06:06

I'm afraid my DH just walked past the computer and laughed, sorry.

grin

NewNameforNewTerm Sun 12-Jan-14 19:11:10

So No More Nails won't work???? Shame!

KeatsiePie Sun 12-Jan-14 19:17:14

Actually, I already know I'm a loon based on other parts of my life grin

But wouldn't nails work?

AndiMac Sun 12-Jan-14 19:33:41

MrsTerry, I knew that had to be duct tape, WD40 before I even clicked! grin

The part where it attaches to the post is rotten, and it's ripped out the nails. That's why I thought perhaps some glue, because it would cover a bigger surface and therefore find more purchase.

Again, I realise this will be at best, a temporary solution. But so would nails.

DrDolittle Sun 12-Jan-14 19:37:13

Screw on some wooden batons to support it. Glue will last 5 minutes!

Oblomov Sun 12-Jan-14 19:40:43

You are an idiot. My bil is a builder. That bit where it attaches is rotten?
Rotten? Then it needs replacing. Glue will solve nothing.

Eve Sun 12-Jan-14 19:42:07

I have some bailer twine you can have!

Bailer twine fixes anything.

AndiMac Sun 12-Jan-14 19:47:57

Oblomov, I believe the topic I have this under is Am I Being Unreasonable? Not Am I Being An Idiot? Else I would say my SIL is Miss Manners and you are fucking rude.

I'm well aware it needs replacing, but I'd prefer not to do it in the winter. Was just trying to think outside the box to fix it enough so it doesn't look derelict to all passers-by and me.

ManualSpaniel Sun 12-Jan-14 20:08:09

I'd try it andi , but then I glue gunned a curtain pole back into its hole thing in my last house. That never came out in 5years.

My grandad swore by mastic, his lethal old style, single pane conservatory was held together by it.

Farrowandbawl Sun 12-Jan-14 20:34:56

Andi, Oblomov is right. You are being an idiot if you think any of that is going to work.

You didn't say that any part of it is rotten - of course it will need replacing, even temporary fixes wont work on rotten wood. You are just going to have to rip it out now before it causes more damage and put up with the look for a while. Sod what the neighbours think.

If you care so much about what they think go ahead and use the glue - they'll piss themselves laughing at you.

Changebagsandgladrags Sun 12-Jan-14 22:24:25

I used DH to fix mine...

maybe a hairdryer OP!

AndiMac well 'unreasonable' in this case is usually code for all kinds of other things! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now