to think people are weird?

(30 Posts)
moldingsunbeams Sun 12-Jan-14 15:07:51

phone call

"Hiya its garys dad phil"
me: think you have wrong number sorry.
Phil: I don't think I have!!! (angrily)
me: You have the wrong number,
phil: huge annoyed sigh, its garys dad phil just go and get.. huge annoyed sigh again (shouts) oh it doesn't matter!! bangs phone down.

Who argues that they have called the wrong number? confused

NymodigFruOla Sun 12-Jan-14 16:38:30

The most amusing one recently was a message left on our home answerphone over Christmas. The guy had a strong, lilting accent so I struggled to grasp what he was saying - but the gist appeared to be that he was leaving a message on the phone of someone he thought was still in touch with a mutual friend who he had lost touch with a couple of years back.

The part that I did get was the reason he'd lost touch was because "I've been hiding like a bloody mongoose, right?" grin

Stinklebell Sun 12-Jan-14 16:34:16

Our old number used to be similar to the council's out of hours number - ie ours was 555556' theirs was 555553

We'd get 3 or 4 calls a week for OOH and about 50% wouldn't believe me that they had misdialled the number.

I had one utterly hysterical woman at 2am who I just couldn't make understand that she'd got the wrong number, I ended up taking her name and number and ringing it into OOH myself

Lovesabadboy Sun 12-Jan-14 16:32:57

Slightly different, but back in the late 1980's I worked in an in-store Travel Agency (travel agency within another larger shop).

We had telephones that we could use 'hands-free' so would often dial a number and let it ring out hands-free allowing us to continue with other work until the company answered. (In those days nothing was done online and most reservations were made by telephone and hours could be wasted just listening to the ringtone...no 'hold' music in those days either).

My manager had her phone ringing out one day - an obvious ringtone.
A very snooty and snotty elderly gent who was just passing by our department, stormed up to her desk, rapped on the desk with his walking stick and blustered loudly ' Well - I will know NEVER to ring you here if all you do is ignore the ringing phone!'...and stalked off before my speechless manager could even begin to explain!

NewtRipley Sun 12-Jan-14 16:12:27

Them: Can I speak to Derek
Me: There's no Derek here. I think you have the wrong number
Them: No I'm sure it's the right number
Me (helpfully): What number did you want?
Them: I'm not telling you! (bangs phone down)

I once had a text saying the person was really sorry to tell me aunt X had died, I replied saying sorry but they had the wrong number and they responded saying, " it's y" etc this went on for ages, then they rang me and finally believed me. Why would I mess about pretending they had the wrong number when they were telling me someone had died?!

I also got a phone call asking for Mrs A and told them they had the wrong number, they replied, " I don't think I have." I assured them they had and they told me thed ring back when my parents were home grin I'm 27 and haven't lived at home for 7 years!

fuckinghatehim Sun 12-Jan-14 15:55:05

I had another one when I was still with my ex.
I had a text from a girl asking something. We exchanged a few texts trying to work out why she had my number/who she was. Turned out she lived in the town as me, and her sister was Dave's girlfriend. (my then dp was called Dave) I text her back saying that I hoped it wasn't Dave Jones, as I was engaged to him and we had 2 dc together.
IIRC she didn't reply again.
Looking back now I wonder whether the bastard was cheating on me sad

Nb Dave Jones is not his real name!

Hassled Sun 12-Jan-14 15:52:24

I was a bit huffy the other day when I kindly bothered to reply to someone's wrong-number text and they didn't reply to my text shock. I was expecting gratitude, flowers, the works. Not silence.

Dawndonnaagain Sun 12-Jan-14 15:52:13

(This is going to totally out me).
I did once have a dirty phone caller tell me I was a boring old fart! grin

newyearhere Sun 12-Jan-14 15:50:59

I've had that from people before! Rather than apologise for wasting your time, they can't even admit to themselves that they could possibly have made a mistake hmm

Oh I just thought of another one. My dad ages ago had a elderly sounding lady call. She turned out to be confused and he didn't want to hang up on her but it went something like this:

Caller: is that...?
Dad: no, you have the wrong number sorry.
Caller: oh what number is that then?
Dad confused: its @#@
Callergrink. Do I know you then?
Dad: I dont think so
Caller: oh, why did you ring me then?
Dad: confused confused

Aw poor lady it quite upset my dad (when he finally got off the phone)

EndoplasmicReticulum Sun 12-Jan-14 15:47:36

I lived in a shared house once that had a number one digit different from the local branch of the Abbey National. Many callers did not believe me when I said I really wasn't the Abbey National. I wonder if I should have got some bank details from some of them as people were pretty convinced I was wrong and they were right.

fuckinghatehim Sun 12-Jan-14 15:44:23

Similar to someothers posted here,

I had a text message once thanking for me for a good night the night before and asking if I fancied doing it again.
I replied saying I was sorry, but they had the wrong number.
He replied at first not believeing me, then eventually asking if I was single etc etc.
When I said I wasn't interested, he had a go at me, saying his daughter had really liked the sound of me confused and that he was going to report me to ss. shock not sure what for!

Yanbu, some people are weird!

<ring ring>
me: Hello?
mature lady: Can I speak to Paula?
me: I'm sorry you have the wrong number.
mature lady: Well who are you then???
me: I am not telling you that.
Mature lady: You are not who I wanted!! (getting angry and tutting)
me: you called me!
mature lady: <huge sigh and slams phone down.>

This happened once a week for a few weeks...

I had a nice one once. Years ago. Had a text saying something like 'hi Jane am outside whenever you are ready'. I texted back they had wrong number had a lovely long text back saying thank you and wishing me a merry Christmas smile.

One night my mobile kept ringing With an unknown number. When I eventually answered it was a VERY drunk man asking for a taxi. I told him he had a wrong number and he said 'ah never mind you'll do'and flirted down the phone! He even sang Flower of Scotland! (though I am Welsh). It was 2am and woke me and dh but we had a giggle.

Much nicer than all the abusive ones.

I do often get suspicious people on the other end thinking Im a salesperson when I ring from work (I work in a doctors surgery). Sometimes they say said person is not in (when they are). Also one man did YELL 'Ive TOLD you to stop calling Im NOT interested'. I was actually screaming down the phone its the DRS but he hung up grin

Pixel Sun 12-Jan-14 15:39:29

We used to have almost the same number as a local pizza place so we got lots of wrong numbers. Most people were ok though.

The weirdest thing was when our phone kept ringing late at night and when we answered it, it would be people insisting we'd rung them and demanding to know what we wanted confused.

Dawndonnaagain Sun 12-Jan-14 15:37:48

I once had a woman turn up at my front door accusing me of having an affair with her husband. She wouldn't leave, even when I called the police. The police turned up and told her to go to his work to sort him out, not the ow, whoever it was.
I was not having an affair with her dh, nor anybody else's dh. Strange.

NakedTigarCub Sun 12-Jan-14 15:35:22

Yes people are strange and I avoid them as much as possible grin

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Sun 12-Jan-14 15:32:01

I had a cold caller once argue with me that I wasn't who I said I was, I was in fact the person he had asked for. I said no, that's the previous owners of the house and didn't live here anymore and he told me I was lying to get out of talking to him! I said if I didn't want to talk to him I would just hang up. Which I did.

CakePunch Sun 12-Jan-14 15:29:32

I had the same number (in my city) call about 6 times at work in the space of 15 mins. I had to leave a meeting to answer in case it was the nursery or an emergency and the man who answered was adamant no one had called me. Then called me another 2 times.... He was really angry with me about it!

Try these methods for dealing with a wrong number text.

GlitzAndGiggles Sun 12-Jan-14 15:19:15

I had someone phone my mobile asking if I was a taxi firm in Gloucester...I live in London!

At my old work they hadn't updated out number on the system so we'd get the most random calls and explain to them that there's a mix up with numbers online. People would genuinely argue with us down the phone over it! If I call a wrong number I apologise and hang up

Piggychunk Sun 12-Jan-14 15:18:33

One girl rang my mobile heard her say .. a girls answered.
She asked for a guy and I said you have the wrong number

She wouldn't have it said I was shagging her boyfriend etc..

I ended up putting DH on the phone as I hung up and she rung again.

Wish I told the bitch I was shagging him!

I once had similar...
Old man: I need my tv fixing, I only bought it off you last week and it's stopped working!
Me: I'm sorry, you have the wrong number
Old man: Don't try to fob me off young lady, I wasn't born yesterday!
Me: Really, you have rung the wrong number!
Old man: I know your game, don't think I'll let you get away with this! I'm putting a complaint in about you! Slams the phone down!

And another when I was shopping in the Co-op after work, wearing a black uniform, nothing at all like the Co-op one...
Lady: Taps me on the shoulder Why haven't you got any of those nice tea bags in that I like? You promised me they'd be back in stock this week!
Me: Very confused I'm sorry madam! I don't work here.
Lady: Well clearly you do Points to my non-Co-op name badge, fastened onto my non-Co-op uniform Go and get your manager now please!
Me: But I. Don't. Work. Here. I'm trying to do my shopping Points to basket
Lady: Clearly you haven't got enough to do then if you've got time to do your shopping on works time! I'll get the manager myself! Flounces off, giving me a filthy look

Yep, people are strange grin

Iloveonionchutney Sun 12-Jan-14 15:15:31

My parents number is the same as a localish furniture store, they just have a different area code first, the calls my parents have are unbelievable, my dad tries telling them it's the wrong code and most are fine, but the stubborn ones who don't believe him, he just goes along with it now, rearranging deliveries and telling them to return things to the store. Some people really don't help themselves!

SPsMrLoverManSHABBA Sun 12-Jan-14 15:12:03

I have also had a wrong number text and them after I replied he ha the wrong number, he asked of I was single, my name etc shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now