To ask how long you think is a reasonable amount of time to be left with no bath/shower?

(22 Posts)
marvindarvin Sun 12-Jan-14 17:36:12

not an emergency as such, no, IMHO.

- your DD can bath, but not splash at all
- temp seal strips (take them off before the council repair person comes)
- stand up wash in the sink or with a bowl (that's what we did for almost 2 weeks when our plumbing was on the blink until we could afford to get it fixed - a bit yuck but can get a basic wash)
- friends/neighbours/relatives
- gym/swimming baths/work facilities maybe

All sorts of solutions come to mind - maybe you can't do/get access to all of them, but as long as you have hot water the third one above is perfectly viable for a few days (if not ideal, i'll agree).

my mum used to have a bath once a week using shared water - now that's not ideal!

DesperatelySeekingSanity Sun 12-Jan-14 17:29:41

Can you take her to the pool? Could be enjoyable, a swim, and a shower with a hair wash after?

You could buy a bath sealant strip from the DIY shop and fit it yourself as a temp measure. It's easy to do. Look on YouTube for clips of how to do it. It can then be peeled off by the guy when he comes to do the full repair. It's not as good as a decent sealant job. Remember to fill the bath with water before you do it and leave to set overnight.

pist Sun 12-Jan-14 17:20:52

Some, not all, old artex has asbestos, however it is well sealed in so shouldn't pose any danger ( and also as far as I understand is usually the least troublesome type)

ikeaismylocal Sun 12-Jan-14 17:18:42

She can have a bath, she just can't splash. Just put a couple of inches of water in the bath and use a jug to rinse her hair.

Obviously don't let her play in the bath and don't leave her unattended.

specialsubject Sun 12-Jan-14 17:10:49

is it possible to take the bath panel off? (or is there no panel but loads of woodwork)

if you do that you'll be able to see under the bath and dry things out. Also worth checking because if there have been repeated leaks and the woodwork under the bath has rotted, the whole thing could go through the ceiling.

hair wash for your child doesn't need to be every day, and as others note there are ways of doing it without frightening her with the shower. Strip washes are also perfectly possible, obviously not forever but for a week or two it is fine.

PrimalLass Sun 12-Jan-14 17:04:16

Get some masking tape and tape the lines on the bath and the tiles, then seal. It's a horrible job, but easy enough. Also, you'll need some white spirit because the silicone is really sticky.

MrsAMerrick Sun 12-Jan-14 15:30:22

artex which was done before the mid-80s does have asbestos in it, so there is also potentally an issue there as it shouldn't be disturbed in any way -- as I tried to tell dh when he drilled into ours to put in new ceiling lights--

I would use your mum's shower yourself but wash dd in bath under close supervision.

gamerchick Sun 12-Jan-14 15:29:29

I just sealed mine myself... It's a total crap job but no more leaks.

Or stick cling film round the whole seal and just have showers (did that as well).

Don't worry about the electrics.. they'll dry out

However.. from what you've said about he ceiling.. you've had more than one leak. Ask the dude to look under the bath to check the floor.

EweHaveGoatToBeKiddin Sun 12-Jan-14 15:19:25

lie her on the draining board on a big towel and let her tip her head back over the sink if she is small enough to fit up there

brilliant idea. Thank you.

EweHaveGoatToBeKiddin Sun 12-Jan-14 15:18:34

I think i may just risk the 'damage' i might do and go buy some sealant then. I don't really want to risk any more water leaking down. I'll watch a few Youtube clips first. I'm sure it'll be easy. It was a plastic frame that was there before, not the normal rubbery sealant.

Aniseeda Sun 12-Jan-14 15:17:39

How old is she?

My mum used to stand me and my sister in a washing up bowl in front of the fire and give us a wash when it was just too freezing cold in the bathroom (1970s!)

And, yes to standing her on a chair to wash her hair over the sink or even lie her on the draining board on a big towel and let her tip her head back over the sink if she is small enough to fit up there. Mum used to do this with me sometimes as I had a bit of a phobia of getting water/shampoo in my eyes when I was little.

EweHaveGoatToBeKiddin Sun 12-Jan-14 15:15:40

Thanks both. I asked if i was allowed to put my own sealant on and they said no, as i would be held liable for any soiling/damage it may do to the bath. And i don't trust myself to do a neat job of it.

Do you think a large basin will be okay then for her hair?

I said on the phone today i was worried about the electrics and he just said to pierce the sagging bits closest to the light to prevent it spreading to directly above it. Which i've now done. Got the man's name. He was nice enough, and it was all obviously out of his hands. So long as no more leaking happens, i don't think we're genuinely at any risk. I think i am being a bit U and entitled too tbh.

AnotherWorld Sun 12-Jan-14 15:13:34

Just buy some silicon sealant and do a temporary repair.

Frostedloop Sun 12-Jan-14 15:12:54

You need to watch her in the bath and stop her spilling water for a few days, not a big deal and not an emergency. The water that did leak Weill dry or in a day or so, no need to worry about it.

YABU. Alternatively past five quid and replace the seal yourself.. Takes all of ten minutes.

I am guessing it's no longer a priority now though? YABU IMHO

FortyDoorsToNowhere Sun 12-Jan-14 15:12:30

Dry shampoo and a wash is enough.

diddl Sun 12-Jan-14 15:11:28

"Calmly tell them that you believe your situation is an emergency due to water potentially affecting your electrics in the ceiling."

I agree that that is the more pressing problem.

Could she not stand on a chair for you to wash her hair over the sink?

GlitzAndGiggles Sun 12-Jan-14 15:10:53

Could you try sealing it yourself? I remember when the boiler was leaking in my old house and my bedroom was right below it so if it exploded I wouldn't still be here! My dad called the emergency council line and it took them 6 hours to come out. the guy managed to sort it but water damage can be really dangerous

MammaTJ Sun 12-Jan-14 15:07:02

I was a week without a bath while my bathroom was being replaced.

I think you can wash properly at a sink, you could use a bowl for your DDs hair.

On the other hand, you could have just done what most people would have and bought some sealant and stuck it round yourself to prevent this happening.

HeGrewWhiskersOnHisChin Sun 12-Jan-14 15:05:37

You should ring them back and ask for the name of the person they are speaking to.

Calmly tell them that you believe your situation is an emergency due to water potentially affecting your electrics in the ceiling.

Tell them that if anything happens that causes harm to you or your daughter, you will hold him or her personally responsible and will seek damages.

I used this approach and suddenly I had all different people higher up in my housing association ringing me to arrange an appointment and apologise.

EweHaveGoatToBeKiddin Sun 12-Jan-14 15:00:43

The seal around my bath came off last night. It was basically a bit of plastic that was just sitting around the edges. there was nothing really sticky behind it to hold it in place. I intended to call the council repairs number on Monday morning to see if i could get an appointment for someone to come and fit a new seal for me.

DD has school tomorrow. So i put her in the bath this morning before she headed down to her grans (her gran only has a shower and dd is scared of it).

I was very careful only to fill the bath with a little water and not to let any spill over in the gap between the bath and wall where the seal is supposed to be.

DD pleaded with me to let her play with some bath dolls while i went next door to put clothes away. She promised she wouldn't make any splashes or let any water get in the gap. Well, 5 minutes later i go back in and there's some water splashed in the floor, and a lot sitting on the edges of the bath.

I get her out and dry her. Then i hear a loud pattering. Water had started to leak through my living room ceiling (directly below the bathroom) in 5 different bits, big holes that i could fit my thumb in. And there was some saggy/bubble bits too where water was lying but just hadn't burst through yet. So i got some pans to collect the water. Then i phoned the council emergency repair number and told them what had happened. By this time, the dripping had stopped.

The man on the phone told me that it wasn't an emergency repair because 'the damage has already been done'. I told him that i was quite worried because some of the leaks were close to my living room light. He didn't seem bothered by this. he told me to pierce a hole in the saggy bits that hadn't yet burst to prevent the damage spreading.

He said that an inspector would be out on Thursday to look at the damage, and then the inspector would make the relevant arrangement for people to come out and fix the ceiling and the bath seal. But this could take a week or two.

He said not to use the bath again as this may cause more water to leak down through the gap.

I asked how me and dd were supposed to manage without a bath or shower for so long (out shower head is over the bath). And he said that as long as our home had clean, running water from a sink, then not having a bath/shower wasn't an emergency.

So dd and I could be left without a bath for up to 2 weeks.

The only people i could ask to help out are one friend and my mum, but they both have showers which dd is absolutely terrified of and will refuse to even enter. The mention of the word 'shower' is enough to set her off (she has sensory issues alongside her ASD and the sound and feeling of water from a shower head really upsets her).

The bathroom sink and kitchen sink can only be reached by dd to wash her hands if she used a little step, so how am i going to wash her hair in it?

I'm probably being really entitled here but by the time the inspector comes out and the repairs are made, it could almost be 3 weeks before i can use my bath and/or shower again.

Does this sound reasonable to you?

Honest answers appreciated.

And any tips to keep us clean and fresh would also be appreciated. I'm going to feel a right hypocrite if i go and use my mum's shower every other day, while dd's hair will be dirty until out bath's fixed.

Or is there an easy way to wash her hair that doesn't involve a bath/shower head? Her hair is thick and really long - halfway down her back.

I'm also concerned about the artex living room ceiling with the holes. Isn't there asbestos in artex? These buildings are about 60 years old.

Disclaimer - the water damage/leaks weren't just from dd playing in the bath today. TBH i think it was just the last straw. Water has been seeping under the bath seal for years and i think has slowly built up on my living room ceiling. I reported this bath seal when i first moved in as it didn't look at all waterproof, but the inspector that had came out a week later told me it was fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now