Big chain supermarkets!

(65 Posts)
Woz22 Sun 12-Jan-14 00:19:39

This Law regarding parcemtol and Ibroupfen is being mishandled by the big chain supermarkets (ASDA, Morrisons) Last year I was buying painkillers for the family on separate transactions as advised by the staff at these stores. This is on the Fast lane checkout! The staff have to keep coming back to swipe their card through every time for the age restriction. Today while buying Capol for my children I was refused capol and discussed this with staff and Manager and was threatened by security , now this hypocritical attitude by these stores over this law is ridiculous , They had no problem before but I explained to them their is nothing to stop me buying these items at on three separate shopping's in and out. But of course if you turn up with your children they refuse to remove the sugary unhealthy foods away from the tills. Shouldn't the consumer be able to decide for them selves what they can or can not buy. I shall now shop at Aldi and Lidl to avoid the stress!

BradleyCoopersCurlyPerm Sun 12-Jan-14 15:36:44

And I rather think it more a safeguard against accidental misuse as opposed to intentional.

BabyMummy29 Sun 12-Jan-14 15:37:30

It's ridiculous. Every time I want to buy stuff I get the lecture about "Is it for yourself, have you taken it before, don't take it more than 4 times a day or for more than 3 days" etc etc from some kid at the checkout.

I like the way in the US you can buy as many painkillers as you want and nobody bats an eyelid rather than the stupid nanny state nonsense we have over here.

Every time I know someone is going to the states I ask them to bring me back 500

scottswomanlyhead Sun 12-Jan-14 15:47:36

If you were threatened by security, it sounds like you got ridiculously fucking aggressive!

It's the law and is there to protect vulnerable people. Yes, you could well go to other shops and buy masses of pain-relieving products should you so desire, but the regulation which governs this exists to stop people abusing themselves either by accidental or intentional overdose.

You may be able to buy larger amounts under the supervision of a pharamcist.

Oh, by the way, judging by your complete overreaction, i'd say YABU wink

Topseyt Sun 12-Jan-14 16:16:22

I have questioned things at the supermarket checkout and never had security called.

I recently had one of the scan and pack tills (pretty much self-service, but not the annoying ones) at our local Tesco flag me up as buying an age-restricted item when I didn't know I was. It was nothing more offensive than a pack of everyday value teaspoons, which I needed to replace the ones that seemed to have "wandered" whenever my kids have had yoghurts in their school lunchboxes. The assistant and I both laughed about it and she let me buy my teaspoons. grin.

Unless you get an assistant who is particularly abrasive and rude to you then I think you just have to have a sense of humour and accept the explanation. These people have a job to do. No need to make it any harder than it needs to be. Oh, and most of the ones I know are definitely NOT brain dead. What a ridiculous comment.

It may be a bit nanny-state-ish but the regulations on drugs are there for a reason.

creamteas Sun 12-Jan-14 17:32:00

I have no problem with supermarkets upholding the law in terms of medicines.

I do object when lazy programming means that you can't buy pharmacy items which are not restricted.

My local shop, for example, has plasters as a pharmacy item and thus they can't be bought in packs of three.....

Borntobeamum Sun 12-Jan-14 17:35:40

Tescos have a £1 aisle and I saw bottles of ibuprofen with either 96 or 108 in it.
Maybe you need to so there.

Sallyingforth Sun 12-Jan-14 17:44:02

I have questioned things at the supermarket checkout and never had security called.
But you probably didn't argue with the staff and then the manager, using language such as 'brain dead'.

tolittletoolate Sun 12-Jan-14 19:38:05

When I worked at Asda on the checkout I used to let people put it through as an extra transaction, especially if they had cold and flu stuff and calpol etc.
Obviously if someone had loads of packs of paracetamol I wouldn't had let them buy them all.

BonesAndSkully Sun 12-Jan-14 20:29:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wabbitty Sun 12-Jan-14 20:41:20

Borntobemum are you sure? It's just the maximum amount that can be sold without a pharmacist is 32 capsules.

Whiskwarrior Sun 12-Jan-14 20:43:43

Whoever reported because the OP was called whiny really needs to grow a spine.

People get called much, much worse here.

And as for HQ deleting the post - pathetic, over-the-top and completely unnecessary.

Between that and the shite that's being used for 'publicity' this site is looking more and more ridiculous every day.

Wabbitty Sun 12-Jan-14 20:48:16

It was brought in as a precaution against intention misuse. We covered it back when I was a student.
Firstly blister packs were used so you had to spend time popping out all the pills rather than just opening a bottle.
Secondly limiting the amount that can be bought in a transaction.
Thirdly there was talk about coating the pills in something that if you just took a couple of pills would do no harm but if you took an overdose would make you throw up.

bryonywhisker Sun 12-Jan-14 20:58:24

My mum was refused 3 individual lemons in Asda. 2 lemons is the limit apparently. Probably to protect her from too much g+t.
Just thought I'd throw that out there.

lougle Sun 12-Jan-14 21:16:30

Paracetamol is one of the most dangerous drugs out there. Often, by the time someone is feeling ill from the effects of paracetamol overdose, the treatment (parvolex and activated charcoal) is ineffective. To successfully treat an overdose, the treatment has to start within 8 hours.

A woman died from overdose last christmas, because she took cold and flu remedies, but kept being sick, so she topped herself up.

I don't think a bit of inconvenience hurts, to be honest.

I find if I explain clearly to the chemist (ie. I'm buying 3 paracetamol containing products because I have a child under 6, two children over 6 and the adults are ill too...or I'm buying two bottles of calpol because all 3 of my children have high fevers/ill), as I put the drugs on the counter, they're fine with it.

WallyBantersJunkBox Sun 12-Jan-14 23:17:53

Bryony - did she move onto the hard stuff? (Limes)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now