Big chain supermarkets!

(65 Posts)
Woz22 Sun 12-Jan-14 00:19:39

This Law regarding parcemtol and Ibroupfen is being mishandled by the big chain supermarkets (ASDA, Morrisons) Last year I was buying painkillers for the family on separate transactions as advised by the staff at these stores. This is on the Fast lane checkout! The staff have to keep coming back to swipe their card through every time for the age restriction. Today while buying Capol for my children I was refused capol and discussed this with staff and Manager and was threatened by security , now this hypocritical attitude by these stores over this law is ridiculous , They had no problem before but I explained to them their is nothing to stop me buying these items at on three separate shopping's in and out. But of course if you turn up with your children they refuse to remove the sugary unhealthy foods away from the tills. Shouldn't the consumer be able to decide for them selves what they can or can not buy. I shall now shop at Aldi and Lidl to avoid the stress!

BonesAndSkully Sun 12-Jan-14 00:27:19

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

PedlarsSpanner Sun 12-Jan-14 00:29:49

<holds Skully's coat>

PedlarsSpanner Sun 12-Jan-14 00:30:50

And hold onto your !!s, OP, they're quite rare and precious smile

SoonToBeSix Sun 12-Jan-14 00:30:59

Yabu or would you rather a vulnerable person died from an overdose because they were suicidal and bought a lot of paracetamol in one go.
Grow up op.

Piscivorus Sun 12-Jan-14 00:31:42

The law on medicines is there to protect people and restricting sales of paracetamol products has saved many lives since it was introduced.

I think if there is a complaint to be made it is to the store manager that staff have allowed you to make multiple purchases on previous occasions.

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Sun 12-Jan-14 00:32:18

What BonesAndSkully said.
I highly doubt shopping at Aldi will solve your issues, what with it being a Law...

WallyBantersJunkBox Sun 12-Jan-14 00:32:40

I'm trying to imagine what kind of calm adult discussion with a supermarket manager would lead them to calling security? confused

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 12-Jan-14 00:33:55

I believe you can buy more than one packet of Kalms at a time. Treat yourself. hmm

SunshineOnACrappyDay Sun 12-Jan-14 00:41:11

YABU - the change of law restricting the number of paracetamol sold at any one time has saved lives.

www.bmj.com/content/322/7296/1203
Legislation restricting pack sizes of paracetamol and salicylates in the United Kingdom has had substantial beneficial effects on mortality and morbidity associated with self poisoning using these drugs.

NK493efc93X1277dd3d6d4 Sun 12-Jan-14 00:50:20

YANBU. Supermarket rules seem to exist so that brain dead staff do not make any mistakes. Common sense has no place anymore and there are plenty of people happy to just accept this state of affairs.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 12-Jan-14 00:52:42

'Common sense' is to make sure the law is applied correctly and no-one loses their job or gets their shop shut down... hmm 'Brain-dead' is thinking the law only applies to other people.

Tweasels Sun 12-Jan-14 00:52:58

"Brain dead staff" hmm

You're a charmer aren't you?

Stinklebell Sun 12-Jan-14 00:54:54

Aldi and Lidl won't let you buy more that 2 painkiller products at a time either. It's the law. It may seem daft to you, but that's not the checkout staff, nor the store manager's fault.

I used to work in our local village shop and the amount arguments I've had about this is ridiculous.

WallyBantersJunkBox Sun 12-Jan-14 00:55:05

A sock shaped charmer? grin

Piscivorus Sun 12-Jan-14 00:57:21

NK These are not supermarket rules for "brain-dead staff", it is the law of the land, Medicines Act 1968, and selling medicines wrongly as you claim has happened previously is an offence

Stinklebell Sun 12-Jan-14 01:02:13

I missed the "brain dead staff"

Yes, the same brain dead staff who won't sell alcohol at 8:30 on a Sunday morning, or cigarettes if you are under 18.

So "brain dead" we don't want a fine and a criminal record

Stinklebell Sun 12-Jan-14 01:03:55

Oops, so brain dead I pressed post by accident grin

I won't break the law, I won't sell you 3 packs of painkillers however much you scream and shout at me

BonesAndSkully Sun 12-Jan-14 01:12:15

Ftr op, its not even up to the staff, most of the tills themselves are programmed to refuse to add a third of a particular type of painkiller. Even if the staff scanned them them system would just reject it.

Tweasels Sun 12-Jan-14 01:13:00

Ha, I've just read the bit about shopping at Aldi or Lidl. Have you seen how fast the staff at Aldi scan your stuff? I'd love to see you try and buy all your medication in there on separate transactions without causing a right scene. It's the law, not the supermarket.

Also, what the fuck do you need so much medication for? I have personally never faced this dilemma.

BillyBanter Sun 12-Jan-14 01:16:33

Buy them from your local independent chemist because supermarket chains are tax avoiding cunts.

Spartak Sun 12-Jan-14 01:17:32

It's people like you OP that make me thank my lucky stars that I no longer work in retail.

Electryone Sun 12-Jan-14 01:21:54

Still having problems deciphering some of your rant so no idea why you think or what you think you will be better off at Aldi or Lidl with....they have to comply with the law to....

Onesleeptillwembley Sun 12-Jan-14 01:38:24

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Onesleeptillwembley Sun 12-Jan-14 01:39:24

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now