middle class uniform

(321 Posts)
southeastastra Sat 11-Jan-14 23:57:21

st albans today was like a boden/joules catalogue

why do the middle classes have to follow such uniform? it's all very samey, those designer welly boots and colourful rainwear

don't get it myself, surely if you have ££ to spend on wear why pick fatface/white stuff boring brands

WallyBantersJunkBox Sun 12-Jan-14 00:30:31

Where are your boobs Witch? In Primark? grin

ouryve Sun 12-Jan-14 00:31:16

I will admit I bought DS1 some lovely soft Joules jammies, heavily reduced in a sale. The labels make me snigger. One says something like "dreamt up in the fields of great Britain." The one immediately underneath says "made in China"confused

I think I care much more about purpose than labels. I want good clothes that do what they are supposed to do. I dont care what my clothes are called.

I love H&M! grin Their childrens winter clothes are perfect for wet cold climates. I keep coming back to H&M for my kids because I know that their fleeces are great, their softshells are great, their wind and waterproofs excellent, and winter jackets and salopettes perfect.
So yes, I have brand awareness, but only in terms of the purpose, not the name.

JassyRadlett Sun 12-Jan-14 00:31:37

Yes, but where are you suggesting the Boden Brigade should shop instead?

I'm pretty sure there's a brand visibile on my jeans, not keen on visible brands (personal preference) but if a piece of clothing is otherwise perfect I won't avoid it because of a tiny logo or whatever. Everything is a 'brand', regardless of what is actually written on it.

NigellasDealer Sun 12-Jan-14 00:32:40

"I have a Barbour jacket. The branding is so discrete you would not know it was Barbour unless you studied my right pocket with a magnifying glass*
nope I can spot a genuine Barbour at 20 paces

EnianShelZman Sun 12-Jan-14 00:33:13

I think Barbour jacket is not "middle class" anymore, same with Hunter wellies...

Nigella, LOL! I wouldnt!

But I have a friend who buys second hand barbours, restores and repairs them and sells them on. He tipped me about the quality, so I bought one.

Incidentally, I had a chat with one of their marketing team through my work, she said "our jackets are so good, they last for ever, people dont need to buy new ones as much as we would like. Our good quality might be our financial ruin". Or something to that effect.

That also sort of convinced me it would be a good purchse.

NigellasDealer Sun 12-Jan-14 00:35:51

bloody expensive though enian

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 12-Jan-14 00:36:19

Interlopers from Luton. Strays from Stevenage. The confused of Welwyn Garden City. Such people wear fancy wellies... Us Snorbans MC types stick to our M&S cardies and variously saggy jeans.

NigellasDealer Sun 12-Jan-14 00:36:54

really quintessentials would he sell me one? I am looking for a suitably battered Barbour Bedale specifically.

ouryve Sun 12-Jan-14 00:37:08

Anyone who was serious about pricey wellies would buy Dubarry, rather than Hunter, surely? £300 wellies, anyone?

As for labels, I have berhgaus coats that refuse to fall apart, even though I'm everso slightly bored with them, now. I'd consider that money well spent, but one of them was a mumsnet freebie.

It cant be MC any more, when us forriners start wearing your good old brands....

NigellasDealer Sun 12-Jan-14 00:38:34

grin

EnianShelZman Sun 12-Jan-14 00:38:45

I've seen quite a few orange people with horrible bun thingies on their heads wearing them lately...

Nigella, I can ask if he has a Barbour Bedale. What size are you after? I think he is mostly into the vintage ones

NigellasDealer Sun 12-Jan-14 00:39:57

ooh lovely! I am not sure how they are sized but I am size 18 across the shoulders (built like a rugby player)

Did you want the mens? I think he mostly restores mens jackets....

NigellasDealer Sun 12-Jan-14 00:41:18

yes men's would be better, I think they might be kind of unisex anyway...

The Bedale is a mans jacket is it not? The traditional classic Barbour?

I will ask him. He has a real passion. grin

NigellasDealer Sun 12-Jan-14 00:42:48

wow great, please do PM me! thanks so much!

Stinklebell Sun 12-Jan-14 00:43:37

I buy clothes I like, that suit me from the shops available to me. If I like something, I can afford it and it suits me, I'll buy it.

I've never bought anything from Boden, but there is a Fat Face and Joules in town. If they are selling something I like, I'll buy it in the same way as I'd buy something from H&M

I have a Barbour jacket but it has no visible branding on it and I got it in a sale from a factory outlet store near my mum's house. I liked the jacket and it's comfortable and warm

jonicomelately Sun 12-Jan-14 00:44:30

I got some Dubarry's for Christmas. They are lovely but I'm still breaking them in.

jonicomelately Sun 12-Jan-14 00:46:03

I've also never bought fatface or joules clothes. Not my cup of tea.

morethanpotatoprints Sun 12-Jan-14 00:47:15

When we moved from the country to town I gave my Barbour jacket to a friend as I only had it for purpose, it wasn't a good look on me.
Now I just wear short padded jacket or winter coat.
Labels are fine if the clothes serve a particular purpose my point is if you just want a plain jumper you can get them in most high street shops, going for the more expensive brands isn't necessary but shouts look at me, I'm wearing a uniform, from Boden, Joules, white shite or whatever its called.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now