To think the RSC are absolute robbing bastards who want to keep the children of the poor out of theatres?

(93 Posts)
lecce Sat 11-Jan-14 20:45:32

Have just looked up the cost of going to see their production of Peter and Wendy and found no seats cheaper than £35 (and that was on its own, so unsuitable and still way too expensive). The majority I looked at were £40. So for us - a family of four- the cost would be £120 for a matinee performance. That is outrageous. For us it is not out of our reach, but far too much for us to spend on something that the children might like, but not something connected to one of their hobbies that they would be wildly excited about going to, iyswim. For many, it would be completely beyond their means.

And what the fuck is the point of having stalls, circle and upper-circle if all the seats (except for a couple on the sides) cost the bastard same?

I think it's such a shame that this type of thing restricts access to the theatre. Yes, I know there are cheaper options - there is an arts centre near us that often hosts children's productions by semi-professionals, with seats costing less than a tenner, and it's great. I just thought it would be nice to go to a 'proper' theatre, and ds1 loves history, has been reading about Shakespeare, and would love to go to a play in 'his' theatre. Gah...

IamInvisible Sat 11-Jan-14 21:05:26

I paid £70 a ticket for my DC to see the Arctic Monkeys. It's bands and singers that rip people off rather than theatres imo.

lecce Sat 11-Jan-14 21:06:54

Cinderrellarockerfeller did you read the OP?

Yes, that's right. The entire pricing structure of the RSC has been wholly decided upon based on their overwhelming desire to keep the children of the poor out of their theatre. Nothing to do with their costs, or market rates.

BOFtastic Sat 11-Jan-14 21:11:48

I saw the Arctic Monkeys for nowt, Invisible, as I'm friends with their lighting director. I still felt ripped off though grin.

LadyKooKoo Sat 11-Jan-14 21:12:03

YABU. They do half price tickets for children and if you were to book in advance and go in the first few days of it opening then it would be half price for everyone. On another note, I have seen Peter Pan and Wendy and I was really disappointed by it. Not as bad as Robin Hood which was their offering a few years ago but not far off!

Theincidental Sat 11-Jan-14 21:12:44

If you think the prices are too high blame the government for cutting the arts budgets to shreds.

Over and over it's proven that the arts is beneficial, theatre is important and that it should be more accessible because when it is it has a more positive effect, but there was barely a murmur when the arts council had over 50% of it's poultry funding pulled.

I'm with you OP, yes everyone deserves to see live theatre and it is incredible, but the current government couldn't give a fuck. They should be the target of the venom, not the rsc itself.

Sparrowfarts Sat 11-Jan-14 21:13:18

The RSC is unusual in sellng 1/2 price tickets for children. It's a lot cheaper than the West End. 16-25 year-olds can buy tickets for a fiver.

Someone was posting recently about the cost of tickets for Matilda: we paid a fraction of the West End price when the show opened in Stratford. We've also been lucky with the odd deal: it cost £30 for 3 of us to see The Heart of Robin Hood a couple of years ago, and we've seen Shakespearean productions adapted for young audiences for a few quid in the summer holidays.

I looked into buying tickets for War Horse in London a while back and almost passed out: they were easily twice as much as the price of the tickets you're quoting. I decided we'd stick with the local theatre in future, which conveniently for us is the RST.

I agree it would be great if the RSC were more accessible, but how the company is supposed to achieve that and remain viable is beyond me.

Theincidental Sat 11-Jan-14 21:13:33

Paltry not poultry... Love spellcheck!

nkf Sat 11-Jan-14 21:15:07

You can get cheap tickets but it takes a lot of time to source them. And I think local, even pub theatres are often great.

IamInvisible Sat 11-Jan-14 21:15:35

I'm going to feel ripped off for years, BOF! grin

PenguinBear Sat 11-Jan-14 21:15:42

YANBU, to take my family to the same show would cost £240 meaning we could not all go to the theatre together. For the theatre, usually, I have to pick which of the dc would like to see which show the best and then engineer it as their birthday pressie. I love the theatre and would go every week if I could!

NearTheWindmill Sat 11-Jan-14 21:19:27

I dunno - compared to gel nails, spa days, expensive make-up, ipods/pads, tanning sessions, it doesn't feel out of sync to me but I guess it's a matter of priorities. How could one save a bit to make it work and find 140.00? DD and I spent 6.20 in starbucks today; DH bought a bottle for 10 tonight; that happens probably weekly; the odd takeaway; I still say it's all about priorities.

pancakesfortea Sat 11-Jan-14 21:19:44

I know there were decent seats for Peter Pan at a reasonable price because I bought some before returning them when I realised it was in Stratford not London (d'oh! - not sure how I got it muddled up, the website was very clear which shows were at which theatres).

Anyway, point is I did that in April when booking opened. You can get good deals but, like many things, you have to plan a long way in advance or go at the last minute. We have seen a lot of shows and I've never paid more than 20 quid a head, always for ok seats. Eg Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (previews, which are cheaper), Wizard of Oz (last minute offer).

Only exception is Matilda which we paid 45 for, because we went with posh friends.

I always use theatremonkey to find the best possible seats at that price. So at Matilda the people in the row in front of us paid 65.

It's a bit like train tickets really - if you have to go on a particular day, and can't book a long way in advance, it can be seriously expensive. But if you can plan and be flexible there are ways and means.

I think that it should be subsidised.

I don't think it should be "cheaper" because of how much it costs a family to go. Theme parks are a similar price, football matches much more (most sport, actually).

I don't like my local theatre (Liverpool Empire) so have to figure in travel and hotel to go to see a big production.

I think that it us a shame that the only theatre most people get to see is either a panto, or something connected to a book that they are studying, which can out them off theater for life.

There are smaller productions about, that are cheaper, they are still worth seeing.

It depends on what you/your children are interested in, but if the cost is a concern, I don't see the problem in making it part of a present, which I've seen disputed on here.

AnAdventureInCakeAndWine Sat 11-Jan-14 21:20:13

You have "just" looked it up, getting on for halfway through a very successful run of a well-reviewed production. If you'd looked it up a few months ago I bet there would have been cheaper tickets available.

lecce Sat 11-Jan-14 21:20:29

Theincidental You are right, of course, and it's what this thread should have been about. Mil phoned out of the blue to suggest going, I looked it up and flew into a rage smile.

i agree that West End shows are far worse - well, I assume they are. I have never even looked into it as I assume it would be eye-watering sums.

jonicomelately Sat 11-Jan-14 21:23:36

Birdsgottafly Why don't you like the Empire?

NearTheWindmill Sat 11-Jan-14 21:24:14

DD and I have seen most of the big West End Musicals: Avenue Q, Wicked, Legally Blonde, Matilda, Les Mis, Cats, Phantom, Ghost, Barber of Fleet St, etc, usually for no more than £60-£80 - usually with dinner thrown in - usually upgraded. Make LastMinute.com your friend for that stuff or that nice booth in Leicester Square.

This RSC is a bargain compared to Covent Garden!

MrsAMerrick Sat 11-Jan-14 21:24:40

yabu, it costs a fortune to put on plays. And the RSC is one of the best theatre companies. We pay £30 for theatre tickets in our provincial theatre ( not the top price tickets) so for our family a trip to the theatre is £120+. We only go a couple of times a year. I 'd love to go more often but can't justify it. Still think its good value when compared with other forms of entertainment.

A ticket to a premier league football match is much more than a ticket to the RSC.

Theincidental Sat 11-Jan-14 21:27:33

Many of the west end shows aren't directly subsided and their pricing reflects that. War horse was a subsidised show made at the national and for long time you could get cheaper tickets. It's now sold on, so the prices are up, but some of that money is going back into grassroots productions. My tip is go to the national, or the old Vic or the egg in bath for kids shows to see them before they end up with such eye watering prices.

I still think it's a crying shame there's far less subsidy and as a result the brilliant productions don't get made as often.

Theatre needs massive investment as it has a huge impact on our culture as a whole.

Who will have the budget to make the next war horse?

mellicauli Sat 11-Jan-14 21:34:38

I saw there are tickets to the final matinee performance (Sun 2nd Mar) Upper Circle, 20 for adults, 10 for children. They don't say restricted view. Good deal, I think!

People who love theatre - and there are thousands - make sure that they book up early and get reasonably priced tickets. And everyone wants the same performances (ie weekend/matinee). The problem is not the RSC - but that you are not as motivated or organized as the many other people who want the cheaper tickets!

BTW - for next time, there is also always understudy performances with tickets at a tenner (although you have missed it for Peter and Wendy).

And yes, you can go to your local theatre for less. But you are not comparing like with like - you wouldn't expect to pay the same to see Man Utd as you would to a local non league team, would you? Same here.

" Why don't you like the Empire?"

I just don't seem to enjoy the experience as much as seeing the same production, elsewhere. The

I am going to see Circus of Horrors, S Boyle, in March. I've seen three shows, there over the last year, but felt that the theatre let them down, I can't explain it.

I like the Epstein.

I like the London theatres and my Goth youngest enjoys Camden, so I plan ahead three trips a year (at least).

I like Landudno and other odd theatres dotted around the country.

I agree with planning at least three months ahead (travel) and more to get a good deal.

Just fgs don't have a child who acts in professional productions hmm

There are cheap ways to 'do' the theatre. You can join supporters clubs if you go often & be selective about what you see. I find it is sometimes worth splashing out. Big shows can be something else.

Having spent a fortune on the theatre this year I couldn't stomach over a hundred quid for the pants, so we went to a small theatre show -£35 for a family ticket (2 adults 2 kids) - it was fab.

*panto

jonicomelately Sat 11-Jan-14 21:42:22

That's interesting 'birds* I don't go to the Empire much because I'm not really a musical theatre type. I much prefer to see a decent play at the Playhouse, Everyman or Unity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now