To still have a homebirth?(93 Posts)
Sorry but posting here for traffic.
I'm 40+6 with a very low risk pregnancy. I'm under the care of the home birth team.
I came into hospital yesterday because the baby was very quiet. The trace was perfect and Dr discharged me as soon as she saw me. I was told to come back in today if movements were any different from normal.
They have been quiet again - sluggish and smaller but again trace is perfect.
Midwife has told me ahead of Dr coming that this automatically means they'll want to put me in for induction (not tonight) which means a home birth is off.
Does anyone know what my 'rights' are in this circumstance? Gut feeling is baby is quiet because it's really dropped low since friday and has less room to move.
Dr coming after eight o'clock. Any advice please?
Sorry to add, I really want a home birth but will be sensible if there's any risk. I don't feel there is so can I insist I stay under the home birth team?
Legally, if you are determined to have a homebirth then midwives must attend to you there if requested.
So yes, you can insist.
You are allowed to have a home birth if you choose regardless of what the doctors say, but obviously you will want to take their views into consideration. My DS calmed down in movements a couple of days before he was born and others I have spoken to have said that it was a sign of of impending birth too so fingers crossed its all kicking off for you!
It seems unlikely to me that a baby would move less because it is low Have you discussed that theory with your care providers? What is their take on it?
I'd wait to see what the Dr says, they might want to just monitor more frequently. Having saying that, I wouldn't want to take any risks with a baby whose movements are reduced, as ultimately the consequence can be stillbirth.
A bit confused - is the doctor coming to your house tonight? What sort of doctor & to do what?
Anyway, if I were in your situation I would continue with homebirth plans. I went to 40 + 13 with dd1, after I went over 40+10 my homebirth midwives had to refer me to consultant who said that since I was low risk I could continue & review at 42+. But I come from
Hippy homebirthing beliefs - you are going to get some responses here that are the opposite.
If you 'insist' on a homebirth if you advised not to by qualified medical professionals then, imho, you are crazy.
Nothing wrong with pushing for your preferred birth experience when everything is fine but prioritising this experience over the safe delivery of your baby is very very foolish. Unless there is more to the story... Although not sure what more there could be to the story that would change that opinion tbh.
Just my opinion and I'm sure some will disagree.
Talk to the doctors about the risk.
Also, what are your alternatives? Is there eg a 'home from home' MW-led unit within the hospital? For that might be a place where you can labour freely but be only a very short distance from a full obstetric team should the diminution in movements prove to be a problem not just one of those things.
Reduced movements aren't normal at the end of pregnancy.
You are within your rights to decline induction and continue your Homebirth plans. Someone has to be sent to attend you there but that could mean a paramedic in an ambulance to transport you to a hospital with midwives.
I was fucking near militant about having a Homebirth with DC2 (high risk due to problems at the end if DC1s birth) with the exception that if a problem arose in the pregnancy I would reconsider. Reduced movements would definitely have made me reconsider.
Listen to the medical professionals and take their advice. I think in these circumstances you need to ask yourself what is more important. Having the 'perfect' birth story, or having a healthy child.
I'm at the hospital now and there's a shift change at 8 so ill see the dr after that.
Sorry I wasn't clear, baby has dropped low and I think back more out. It was until recently flipping back to back so limbs out the front an things pushing forwards. It seems more stuck now so I think most pushing is being done towards my back so I can feel it less.
You can insist on a home birth. I would wait for the doctor, keep an open mind when you discuss it, then decide.
I was in the same situation with ds. Slow movements, traces fine. But when he was born 48 hours later, it turned out the placenta was breaking down. He was fine but the first half hour was worrying and he had to spend a lot of time in an incubator. So I am glad I did not have a home birth.
But that doesn't mean this is your situation. I can only give you advice from my experience. Just be open, ask lots then decide.
I would change my plans.
If any thing did go wrong you will regret the home birth for the rest of your life.
I wpuld listen to what the doctor says
We all risk assess in different ways, but personally reduced movements/neonatal death is something that really worries me. I would rather be induced than risk that, even though generally I am very anti-induction/pro-homebirth.
You can refuse induction and 'insist' on a homebirth if you wish but personally I would follow the advice of the professionals especially as your baby has been quiet.
It's a myth that babies slow down towards the end (though some do as someone above said their's did) and not delivering could have awful consequences. My ds was over 9lb and still moved loads right up to being born (and I'm tiny!)
I understand you might be disappointed to not have your homebirth but just focus on getting baby out safely (I say this as someone whose labour didn't progress and ended up with an emcs - not what I wanted but was safest for me and ds).
This is helpful thank you. I'm not militant about a homebirth just concerned I'll not be able to have one just because of a very black and white answer.
If I'd waited another hour I wouldn't have come in at all today.
Baby is apparently ready to party now .
Pressed the monitor at least 6 times just this post.
It's trouble this one....
I would listen to your midwife's lead.
If you and she both agree that waiting a bit longer would be safe, then push for it.
It may be that your baby just doesn't want to come out and you will have to be induced, but I don't think there's any harm in waiting longer if the hospital will support it.
I went overdue and for various reasons wanted to wait longer than the induction date the hospital wanted to give me. The community midwife and the hospital were supportive when I pushed for a later date, and let me go in for extra monitoring. Still needed to be induced in the end though!
I had a homebirth with DS1 and tried to have a homebirth against medical advice with DS2 (for different reasons to you, my waters broke before labour started and my 48 hours were up). You can have a homebirth against medical advice but I found that it wasn't a relaxing experience at all because the midwife kept saying I ought to be in hospital. I was having contractions but not very strong ones and was stuck at 2-3cm dilated. Instead of just chilling out or trying to sleep as you are meant to do in early labour I was bouncing on my birth ball with a look of grim determination on my face, desperately trying to get the baby out. In the end I did go to hospital and as soon as I'd got there and calmed down DS2 shot out like a rocket. I'd been 2-3cm for 12 hours and then went from 3-10cm in 30 mins.
See what the dr says and try to come up with a plan that everyone is happy with. That's what I did with DS3 (his waters broke before labour too). He was born in hospital as well but it was very natural with the midwife being hands off. He was born quickly too.
I am very pro home birth in low risk normal pregnancies. I have had two out of three babies at home with the community midwives attending. They were lovely. It is your body and medical professionals can only give advice, not order you to do anything. If the trace is showing everything is fine, I'm not sure why they would think there is a problem?
Has your baby turned? Movements would be felt in a different place and you may not be able of feel all of these movements depending on where they are (your back, behind the placenta etc).
Maybe, see what the doctor says with regards your care, but at the same time, be assertive about your wish for a home birth. If they are not going to induce you tonight, go home and try everything to get baby out your own way.
I wouldn't have gone against medical advice (we nearly had to transfer, but dc was born too quickly, so didn't get chance). Babies are very precious. But medical professionals can be very quick to medicalise things even when they don't need to be. I know that isn't very helpful, just my opinion, based on my experiences.
YABU. Any change in your baby's movement pattern shouldn't be written off. Even a trace being perfect is no indication everything is ok. I would absolutely be abandoning the home birth. A healthy baby is more important than a birth experience.
it looks like you might have your baby soon I think if you can go home safely then do it but if it was me i would probably stay put if that is where the midwives want you to be
The midwife isn't suggesting I stay in. Just that even without monitoring and even if the baby is now extra active their procedure would state induction.
It is only fair to say 'if something goes wrong you will regret the home birth for the rest of you life' if you also say 'if the induction goes wrong you will regret your choice for the rest of your life'. Surely.
OP I am not you nor a doctor or MW and I do not know what you should do but I do not think any of it is your responsibility or your fault regardless of what occurs, as all you are doing is choosing between two very safe places and methods of birth which have different sets of risks, which may or may not be increased in your case - regardless of your choice I wish you well.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.