To hate that dds teacher puts all their test scores on the board for everyone to see.

(94 Posts)
moldingsunbeams Sat 11-Jan-14 14:56:35

They are in primary still, they write the child's name and scores on the board. DD has sen and struggles and has gone through a phase of saying she is thick and stupid. It also gives the bullies ammunition.

I want to say something but wibu if I did?

ukatlast Sun 12-Jan-14 13:34:12

Correction: Amazed you say she has never been awarded for anything. I was always led to believe that 'Pupil of the Week' was essentially on a rota.

MinesAPintOfTea Sun 12-Jan-14 13:42:46

Its sometimes appropriate in higher sets towards the end of secondary/college when everyone in the class should be capable and there's a few who aren't trying.

Its utterly inappropriate in primary with a mixed ability group.

newyearhere Sun 12-Jan-14 15:17:27

YANBU. All children should be rewarded on doing as well as they can, regardless of what level anyone else happens to be on. There's no need for this sort of comparison - what's it meant to achieve?

Yes, the "real world" will bring plenty of competition and comparisons, but I think the best way to be prepared for this is building up the confidence of all children, which isn't done by simplistic scores on the board.

maddy68 Sun 12-Jan-14 16:46:02

We are encouraged to share the results as a class. Ofsted love it!! It's supposed to promote healthy completion and help when peer assessing as they know what to look fir at each grade

pudcat Sun 12-Jan-14 17:40:35

We are encouraged to share the results as a class. Ofsted love it!! Well Ofsted are prats. They are people who have not taught for a long time and do not have a clue. This is a sure way to get a school to fail. If I knew that I could not get the top grades then I would give up.

I once did the story of the 3 bears with a nursery class. I told the story and used props of appropriate sizes to help the children with it. Then based all the activities of the session around the story.. My weekly planning showed that I would read the story from a book the next session. The inspector who admitted that he had never taught 3 yr olds, said my lesson was only satisfactory because I did not read the story as well as telling it. He expected the children to be able to sit still for another 10 minutes on top of the 20 or so they were engrossed in retelling. Utter twit.

kickassangel Sun 12-Jan-14 17:48:47

I started teaching 20 years ago and have always been told that a person's grades are their own personal business and nothing to do with any other child. They are seen as being confidential in the same way that I wouldn't give out home phone number or medical information.

Feel free to step in on this one.

MollyBerry Sun 12-Jan-14 17:49:29

As ukatlast said it's really bad she hasn't got anything - i used to be a year 1 TA and star of the week was essentially on a rota, everyone would get it for something one week throughout the year

Lilacroses Sun 12-Jan-14 19:37:09

Couldn't agree more pudcat re Ofsted
At my previous school during a feedback session an inspector called me the wrong name the whole way through and admitted he had beem looking at a colleagues lesson plam rather than mine the wbole way through my lesson. In another inspection we were crticised for not giving enough responsibility to our year 6s...we were an infant school who had no year 6!

Lilacroses Sun 12-Jan-14 19:38:21

Excuse typos my phone is annoying! !

When my dad was a teacher, they didn't have OFSTED, they had Her Majesty's Inspectors of Schools - known as HMIs - and there was a saying even then - those who can, teach; those who can't, become HMIs. It is sad that that can still be seen to be the case, in the stories here.

zizzo Sun 12-Jan-14 19:43:07

It's really crap to do this in a school with such a range and mix of different abilities.

For the posters who argue that this is good preparation for work life - how?! Even in competitive sales-like environments, you wouldn't find such a broad range of abilities in the same workplace with colleagues of the same age and experience.

BigBirthdayGloom Sun 12-Jan-14 20:01:34

The real life argument is just nonsense. In real life, I applied for a job I had an aptitude in and desire to do. I had a choice. As it happens, I knew that a competitive environment where i would be pitted against others in a public way based on my results would be a disaster for me. So I chose something where, although of course there is competition in subtle ways, my main motivation is to do better for my students.
How does a child in primary school get to choose? It's a shocking way to motivate a very small number of students who are competitive and able to affect their progress by working hard. For the others, it's pointless at best and hugely detrimental to others.
I accept, reluctantly, the need to share levels with students. I see no need for that sharing to be public. I'm really sorry for your dd, op.

Chottie Sun 12-Jan-14 20:11:47

I can't believe this still happens. When I was at school 40 years ago, we were tested for every subject and the results for every test were pinned up for all to see. There was a red line drawn to show everyone who had failed. It was awful and I've never forgotten it. Please go into the school and say something.

maddy68 Sun 12-Jan-14 21:19:49

Gove and ofsted a great combination!

pudcat Mon 13-Jan-14 08:11:14

Lilacroses I can give more examples of their incompetence. We always sait that most Ofsted inspectors were failed teachers who just wanted to get out of the classroom.

OldDaddy Mon 13-Jan-14 09:42:42

Why don't we get kids to do sports day individually in a closed environment then with no prizes or mention of the results? I don't see the issue. If kids are under performing their peers will see that in class anyway, not just from a list pinned to the wall.

flipchart Mon 13-Jan-14 09:46:27

This is not a new idea.
This happened when iPad at primary in the '70's

Also happened at DS's primary 10 years ago.

SilverApples Mon 13-Jan-14 11:21:44

We had an inspector who didn't know the difference between dissolved and melted.

Goldmandra Mon 13-Jan-14 20:46:02

Prizes single out one or two of the highest performing pupils, leaving the non-prize winners in amongst a majority. This doesn't highlight one particular child as under performing.

The fact that the other children may be aware that x isn't good at spelling, doesn't make it OK to put x through the ritual humiliation of having his/her test results announced to the class every week.

Some teachers care about the self esteem of their pupils and understand that lack of it can be an enormous barrier to learning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now