To hate that dds teacher puts all their test scores on the board for everyone to see.

(94 Posts)
moldingsunbeams Sat 11-Jan-14 14:56:35

They are in primary still, they write the child's name and scores on the board. DD has sen and struggles and has gone through a phase of saying she is thick and stupid. It also gives the bullies ammunition.

I want to say something but wibu if I did?

moldingsunbeams Sat 11-Jan-14 15:42:36

I can see how it might work for kids who are competitive and coasting along when they can do better but if your child is already trying their hardest then I worry it can cause more harm than good.

SilverApples Sat 11-Jan-14 15:42:59

It's the new target-setting drive, setting them up for RL. Shame them into doing something about their efforts. Except that doesn't work if they are already giving everything they've got.

SilverApples Sat 11-Jan-14 15:47:00

But as long as a key part of the judgement made of a teacher is how many sublevels of progress is made by the class, it's likely to increase the pressure on the children.
Some teachers will concentrate intensely on the middle and high achievers, those that are a couple of points off the next level. The child who needs a lot of input to take a small step will be collateral damage. sad

NearTheWindmill Sat 11-Jan-14 15:48:06

I can see it's upsetting but my children are 15 and 18 now and whatever their ages and hatever school they have been at everyone has always known the pecking order.

At primary school they were on different tables according to ability and the children all knew which was bottom. Middle, top and inbetween and who sat there. At secondary they have been setted according to abiity and by the time they are 13/14 it's pretty clear who the clever ones are and who they aren't. Never been any bullying though.

WooWooOwl Sat 11-Jan-14 15:49:03

It's interesting to compare it to sports days where it's obviously who is the best at sorts even if the day is not that competitive.

My dc are rubbish at sport but good academically. Their being not that great at sport isn't a problem on sports day because the school encourages children to support each other, which they do and it creates a great atmosphere. If the same was done with academic results then at least all children would have the chance to shine at something publicly.

It should be all or nothing IMO. If they are going to let the sporty ones be the best publicly then they should do the same for the academic ones and the creative ones.

Unfortunately I think schools too often let all but the academic ones have their chance to shine.

pointythings Sat 11-Jan-14 16:10:52

I had no idea this was so common, none of the schools my DDs attend/have attended ever did this. Nor did any school I ever attended (in Holland) and in fact it was not done until I was at Uni. I think it's terrible, children know perfectly well where they sit in the pecking order as mentioned above. There's no need to rub their noses in it by having it up on the wall in black and white on top of that, and it isn't going to motivate those who work hard but struggle.

EvilTwins Sat 11-Jan-14 16:16:58

I really don't like this. I teach, and our Head of Yr11 is really keen on this - he thinks it will motivate. He wants to put scores and predicted grades etc up on a display board in the corridor. I was quite outspoken at the meeting he proposed it- fortunately it hasn't gone ahead. Prob a massive stereotype but he's a PE teacher, which I suspect has something to do with it.

SayMyNameSayIt Sat 11-Jan-14 16:27:23

I'm a primary teacher. I'd never do that. I have given out spelling tests etc and have said very well done to those who have got full marks or high scores.

Those who haven't done so well, I call them out privately and show them. If I know they've tried really hard, I acknowledge that and say well done, you did your best, that's better than your last score, keep trying, etc.

Or else I give them to them facedown, I never let others see what they got. If I know someone should have done better, I will say that to them. I might point out some silly mistakes or say we learned those words last week, you will need to try harder. But definitely in a nice way.

I would never write their scores up on the board, some children will never achieve full marks or a high score, no matter how hard they try. But sometimes these children put in more effort than those who can spell easily.

I've made a big fuss before of such children and says how well they've done, I might even say their score. If it's said and done supportively, the child feels happy and proud, and IME, the other pupils are openly very supportive and encouraging. They all know who is clever and who struggles. That hasn't changed since I was at school.

I'd be speaking to the teacher and telling her how your DD feels. I'd be horrified to think I'd upset a child like that.

Is it proven though that something like this will motivate small children to work harder? Because it certainly wouldn't motivate me as an adult. It might, in fact, piss me off so much that I think fuck it and just not bother at all.

SilverApples Sat 11-Jan-14 16:31:01

It motivates some and distresses others.
Depends on the individual.
Rather similar responses from parents.

diddl Sat 11-Jan-14 16:33:19

"It's the new target-setting drive, setting them up for RL."

Are there many RL situations where this happens, then?

FortyDoorsToNowhere Sat 11-Jan-14 16:43:03

I love my DD teachers board.

It's called the done well board.

Like tom did well at sitting, Lola did well at signing, Charlie read well.

SilverApples Sat 11-Jan-14 16:44:19

Where your performance is matched against your peers, in a target-setting environment? Apparently so.

BabyMummy29 Sat 11-Jan-14 16:45:37

The done well board sounds like an excellent idea smile

SilverApples Sat 11-Jan-14 16:46:09

I also used to give merit marks in different colours, depending on what you won them for. So if you had half a dozen blue and no yellow, you needed to work harder on being kind and thoughtful.

Evil seriously in the corridor?

I have nothing against older pupils knowing their position in the class and each others marks within sets who know their strengths and weakness. We used to have a lot of healthy competition in science and maths.

DD1's groups have all been discussing there mock GCSE results. But that's been in a supportive, understanding it's the first time they have done a drama, music listening paper, people knowing DD1 is dyslexic, maths knowing their results look low because they took the same paper as set one, but haven't finished the syllabus. To put all this complexity out in the corridor to be gawped at by Y7 would be totally wrong.

NigellasDealer Sat 11-Jan-14 16:53:16

that would have really pissed me off when my children were at primary school, doubtless dd would have been at the bottom every week due to her specific learning difficulties with reading and writing. as a teaching method it stinks, when they are banging on about how lovely and 'inclusive' they are.

MyPetMonsterAndMe Sat 11-Jan-14 17:02:30

I am a secondary school teacher and I would never do this. I will never tell the whole class who got the highest score or what the lowest score was. If I am handing something back I give it directly to the student and face it down so that they can decide who else they show it to.

I know they usually compare anyway but I figure atleast this way if they don't want to they don't have to.

But surely school, especially primary school, is not a "target setting enviroment" where "your performance is matched against your peers"?
Isn't it, in fact, somewhere where children go to learn?
As much as they can and to the best of their abilities, yes, but ultimately it's not really comparable to a working enviroment is it?
It's school ffs.

Tailtwister Sat 11-Jan-14 17:07:54

YANBU, I wouldn't like it either.

I would just contact the teacher and ask them what the thinking is behind it. Let them know you are concerned with how your DD seems to be feeling atm and that you are wondering if it's in part related to this system.

Surely schools are there to nurture all the children to achieve their very best, not pit them against each other?

Are they even allowed to share results in this way under data protection?

SilverApples Sat 11-Jan-14 17:11:09

I don't like the way that the learning environment has changed in the last decade, I'm glad my two are out of it now.

NearTheWindmill Sat 11-Jan-14 17:26:45

When I was at grammar school in the 70s though our end of year exam results and position in class by subject and overall were read out and put on our school reports. O'Level passes, including grades, were published by pupil name in the local paper. How times have changed.

SilverApples Sat 11-Jan-14 17:31:29

How many children with additional needs in your Grammar school though?

NigellasDealer Sat 11-Jan-14 17:40:48

yes but at a grammar school it would be fair enuff windmill, as those children have already been selected at 11 plus by ability and comprised the top 20 per cent I think.
in a modern 'inclusive' state primary this kind of practice has no place at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now