To hate that dds teacher puts all their test scores on the board for everyone to see.

(94 Posts)
moldingsunbeams Sat 11-Jan-14 14:56:35

They are in primary still, they write the child's name and scores on the board. DD has sen and struggles and has gone through a phase of saying she is thick and stupid. It also gives the bullies ammunition.

I want to say something but wibu if I did?

Tulip26 Sat 11-Jan-14 14:58:33

This is something that she'll have to get used to IRL though, surely? Several places I've worked in do it with targets. Is it something the teacher is doing to encourage them to improve?

ReluctantBeing Sat 11-Jan-14 14:59:31

We are encouraged to to this at school.

moldingsunbeams Sat 11-Jan-14 15:01:37

Can I ask the reasons Reluctant for it?

JennyCalendar Sat 11-Jan-14 15:02:25

I teach secondary and we are unequivocally told not to read out test results / attendance percentages / anything else of that ilk.

moldingsunbeams Sat 11-Jan-14 15:04:06

I get that Tulip I do it just feels a bit of a kick in the teeth to her, She feels she is stupid and thick and then the kids laughing at the score she has got.

At work no one would bully you hopefully and laugh at you if your disability affected your target.
She is trying her hardest, she is making progress, shaming her against the none sen children in her class is not going to raise her self esteem sad

Please say something, we had a running war with the HT over a TA who did this with spellings.

She wanted to shame the DCs who didn't bother, but it really upsets DCs who try, but will never consistently get 15/15.

We never totally got it fixed, small village school and the TA was part of the fixtures and fittings. HT seemed to be scared of her, we git the felling he dropped hints, but never ordered her to do it differently.

However, if you don't try you'll never know.

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 11-Jan-14 15:05:42

All kids are good at different things. Why should they be made to focus on a negative number that shows none of their talents or abilities at all.

Mean and unnecessary!!

theladyrainy Sat 11-Jan-14 15:06:38

what kind of test results- spellings?
That's a really crap thing to do.

Another poster had a similar issue this week - her dd's class had to tell the rest of the class their test scores, and her dd's was the lowest, and she was really upset.

The MNer talked to the school about this, and it transpired that some children had got lower scores, but had lied, so her dd wasn't bottom - but more importantly, the school took on board how upset the dd had been, and won't be doing this any more.

If I were you, I would talk to the school - I would mention particularly your concern about this policy's impact on your dd's self esteem, and the fact that it is providing ammunition for the bullies - and I would hope they would listen to you, and change this policy.

moldingsunbeams Sat 11-Jan-14 15:11:21

Seems to be mostly sat results as school do optional sats each year, in this case it was mock sats results.

We have had issues before with a different teacher reading out names of those who had not yet paid for a trip then telling class if people did not pay they all would not be able to go. No issue with telling them they cannot go if not enough people pay but to name the ones who had not at that point paid in front of the rest of the class made me very cross.

They seem to be of a very name and shame attitude.

Andanotherthing123 Sat 11-Jan-14 15:12:16

No, yanbu to not want DDs scores up on a board. I struggled at school and at no point did public confirmation that I was coming bottom for every test help. It only works if your child is motivated by competition and unfortunately having SEN can mean that with all the motivation in the world, some kids will always score lower. FWIW I have always found work much less judgemental than school in this way so I don't think it really does help prepare kids for RL either.

theladyrainy Sat 11-Jan-14 15:12:24

SATS results! shock

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 11-Jan-14 15:14:45

All children need to know is that their best is good enough!!

Putting up sats results is unbelievable!!

And as for the trip thing. That's just shock

moldingsunbeams Sat 11-Jan-14 15:19:47

The trip thing was stopped thankfully I was furious at that, was a different teacher but reflected same kind of attitude sadly.

They have targets in their books as well as current store, that is enough for me.

Toecheese Sat 11-Jan-14 15:22:13

Talk to the teachers. I agree its not appropriate

Lomaamina Sat 11-Jan-14 15:25:00

I teach at a university and we're not allowed to disclose test scores publically (and quite right too). How in in god's name is it considered ok to publically humilaite primary school children?

OP please feed back to the school about how upset your child is. I'd be livid.

Chippednailvarnish Sat 11-Jan-14 15:25:04

I don't agree with it, but it would actually be the one thing that would make my DS do some work...

Lomaamina Sat 11-Jan-14 15:25:46

p.s. I can spell humiliate blush!

TooTryHard Sat 11-Jan-14 15:30:57

Not on. At all. I would never do this.

My pupils mark their own spellings and read out their scores out so I can put them in the mark book but I always reiterate they can show me if they don't want to read it out for any reason. This means I've never had anyone upset.

I keep all SATs papers and scores very well hidden. It shouldn't mean much to the children but the I definitely don't want them reported to other parents.

SATs scores go home at the end of the year but not in-between. Children are given targets from the next level up but not a nummerical target.

SilverApples Sat 11-Jan-14 15:33:46

It's only worthwhile if they match their progress against their own results.
We have spelling tests, one merit mark if you get two more than your last score at the end of the week, two merit marks if you get 100%.
No public declarations of everyone's marks.

OhTheDrama Sat 11-Jan-14 15:34:29

It makes me feel uncomfortable tbh. In DD's class they read them out instead of putting on a board but same thing. As well as shaming the child it also doesn't reflect well on the teacher IMO as its always the same children who score the lowest. The teacher can't be doing very well if they never move from the bottom, screams to me that they are being ignored.

BabyMummy29 Sat 11-Jan-14 15:34:35

This sounds like something out of the ark. I can remember my teachers doing this 40 years ago, but can't imagine any of my teaching colleagues doing it nowadays.

BruthasTortoise Sat 11-Jan-14 15:37:25

See I would assume that the people who embrace this kind of thing are the same people who have no issue with uber competitive sports days. sad for your DD.

moldingsunbeams Sat 11-Jan-14 15:38:06

I used to a TA and have worked in a few schools, none of the schools I have worked in have ever done it.

They have always been put on the board, the last time they read them out to the class and then some children said they had not got their score when the head asked so again it was written on the board. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now